Jackplate

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicholas Wink

Reaction score
I will ask the question diffrently this time. I have a 2010 Tournament v18 with a 150 optimax. I would like to add a jackplate, but am not sure if this extra weight will hurt the transom.

I had a z8 that i recently sold and I took 2 talon anchoring systems off that boat, I would like to add them to my tournament v18. On the z8 they were mounted with a bracket off both sides of the jackplate with bolts. I would like to do the same thing with the tournament v18, but would like to know more of the limitations of the transom, if there is one.

Also, right now i am running a black max 23p prop. Getting 5,200rpm and about 53-54mph. I was also thinking of adding a trophy plus 21p ss prop. I think that should do better. I do have added weight with an extra battery since I have a 36volt trolling system, just so everyone knows what I am working with. I was contemplating with the addition of the jackplate and talons, to move 2 trolling batteries up to the very front compartment. Any tips or advice woiuld be appreciated.

Any set-back will increase the transom load and COULD cause problems down the road. If you are going to set it back, I wouldn't recommend anything greater than 4". Of course the end user will greatly dictate how much "abuse" it will be subject to. The BEST bass boats in the industry have lost transoms in certain conditions. The TV-18 has a pretty stout transom to begin with, and has been beefed up over the years to accommodate V-motors. If you choose to install one, I would also recommend transom stiffeners added to the inside {plates} where the mounting bolts / nuts are. In answer to your question.....there ARE limitations to ANY transom. Keep a close eye on mounting hardware for proper torque, frequently. ;)

Mason,

Just my opinion, but I think you are going about this the wrong way. Don't add a jackplate simply to accommodate two Talon's. I would sell off the jackplate Talon mounts and simply buy the port and starboard side mounts to mount between the engine and transom.

Think of it this way if you are considering the "cost" factor:

1) New Talon mounts (estimated retail) for in-between engine / transom - $250 each

2) Cost of your old Talon mounts (estimated retail) for jackplate - $210 each

3) Cost of a new (quality) 4" jackplate - $250

So, if you put on a jackplate, you're looking at $250, plus shipping, plus installation.

However, if you replace the brackets, you spend $500 or less, probably sell the old ones for $150 each, so you make back approximately $300, and you end up looking at $200 plus shipping, plus installation.

Not only do you save approximately $50 (or at least the cost might be "even"), you don't have to worry about damaging your transom.

If your boat doesn't need a jackplate, don't add one simply as a mounting point to add your Talon's back to the boat.

All the best,

Glenn

The trophy would be a great addition to your mods. I would not move the batteries forward though.....if you have the room keep them in the back.

Hey guys thanks so much for the feedback. I am going to cancel the installation of the jackplate and do the talon mounts between the engine and transom. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back