If you had to choose between the Avalanche and the NX882

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Foster

Reaction score
I didn't want to post this in the Avalance is a grand slam thread.So.

Considering that both boats are almost the same size.

18'2" X 96" with a hull weight of 1370 for the Avalanche

18'2" X 92" with a hull weight of 1457 for the NX882

And they cost around the same price. Avalance being about 2K more across the board. Even with an 150 optimax on them.

Which one would you choose???

Next few years in Bass Boat manufacturing is going to get interesting I think.

John

The Avalanche,..without a doubt,....I'll keep this short, and get right to the point. First and foremost: life time warranties on Hull and Deck,(better than the 882).lighter, faster, MUCH easier to repair,(both aluminum and automotive paint vs. glass, gels and clearcoats (again,..major advantage over 'glass)..lower insurance costs of Aluminum vs.'Glass,...NO STRESS CRACKS!!,...and finally, MUCH easier access to all plumbing and livewell fittings in the Avalanche (You have to see one to know what I'm talking about)..This is going to be a HUGE advantage when it comes time fix a leak or change a pump!! Plus,..the Avalanche looks like 'glass!! It's the best of both worlds and it's the answer to all the fiberglass nightmares we all love to hate!! You owe it to yourself to see one,...BEFORE you buy!!

Mac

One more thought,...imagine the possibilities of painting on aluminum to totally customize your rigs,...airbrushing, custom matched paint and graphics,....VERY easy to apply to a painted aluminum hull,....not so feasible on 'glass!! Glass gels and glitters are only available in certain colors and only applicable on specified areas of the hull during the molding process. Painted Aluminum (baked on no less) will allow a person to turn their boat's hull into a mural if they so desired!! The possibilities are limited only by their imaginations!!

Imagine the sparkles you can create..and we all know by now..."dem bassus luv sparkles"

Right this minute? I'd take the 882...... I'd know what I was getting into and the problems to expect. I'm not a pro or semi-pro that would get help from the factory with the purchase cost. I'm just your average weekend angler who wants/has to be careful where and how he spends his hard earned bux.

A couple of years down the line? Who knows?

me!

John,

I'd fish out of the back of any boat that you choose. Just don't make me back it up with the mirrors! I'll bring my favorite Senkos!!

Bob G.

I have owned a Ranger boat for the last twelve years. I switched to the Avalanche because it offers me the durability and repairability over my previous boat. I like to do my own work and the Avalanche offers me both the accessability and the durability to try new and different mountings that I couldn't do with my Ranger. Think aboyut it, whats easier to mount things on, 1/4'' aluminum or fiberglass/gellcoat. The decision was an easy one for me. We all have to make our own choises in life and live with them. Good Fishing

Scott,...you said in your post "you knew the problems to expect",.....WHY would you buy a boat knowing you're going to have problems?? The Av is going to eliminate ALL of those problems that we all know about,...particularly the cracking issues. Plus the Av is going to be lighter, faster, easier to tow and maintain.......and much less expensive to own over the long run. That makes more sense, but we'd be glad to sell you whatever you want,......:O)

I'd take the Avalanche. The quality of the ride has to do with the design of the hull and the weight of the boat. The aluminum on the Avalanche is thicker (heavier), and the hull design is so similar to a fiberglass boat. This is not your grandpa's rowboat! My TV-18 handles rough water REALLY, REALLY well.

But I'd also wait a couple of years until some of the "new" boat bugs are worked out. Stouter souls can give this model a break in first, and identify those areas which need to be improved. (Besides, the missuz already said that my first new boat is going to be my LAST new boat).

Mac -

I don't expect problems with any boat - EXCEPT for those I cause myself!

me!

(And, boy...... Can I cause 'em!)

Latest posts

Back