I think I have a leaker!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd Bennett

Reaction score
2012 Targa V18 combo everytime I use the boat I drain a couple gallons of water out of it, this is the first aluminum boat I have owned don't remember having this happen on my fiberglass boats.

I am going to level the boat on the trailer and fill the bottom of it with a garden hose and see if anything leaks out. Anyone else having this happen?

It was a long time ago, but back in 2002, by Pro185 did the same thing. During turns, water was coming into the boat through the gap between the rivets holding that cap onto the hull. I was freakin' out, but found the answer on this board. A little silicon and boat was dry.

My PT 175 developed cracks in the keel weld, I had to use aluminum brazing rods to fix it as it was outside the 5 year warranty. Whatever you find, get it documented at your dealer.

Start checking the hull for cracks...even between the bunks and the hull.

HOPEFULLY it's just a hose or something. Some can be hard to find.

Its under warranty----- Take it to your dealer. Don't mess around and try to fix it yourself.

ROOKIE HERE.... Is that not normal ? I have a fiberglass 640. everytime i come out of the water 1 -2 gal comes out the drain.

Not normally. BUT....there are a lot of reasons for a "small" amount of water in the hull. Backwash when you shut down, sealing around rubrail, cooler water that you forgot drains into your bilge and the possibility of some leaking plumbing. Normally it's something minor. Hull cracks (no matter what TEE says:lol: ) are not the norm. Fill the bilge with water while on the trailer and see where it leaks out. Kind of a reverse osmosis:p

Just be very careful how much water you use to check for leaks. If you do not block up the trailer frame first it will be very easy to blow a tire(s) from too much weight. ;)

They may not be the norm BUT, do your own reseach and make your own decisions so I don't get dissed for bashing;)

They are hard to see but, check all your livewell and drain hoses...alot of times they're not tight enough from the factory.

A word of caution...filling your boat with water isn't a good idea IMHO. I still didn't find my crack because it was between the bunk and hull.

Only way I found it was to jack the boat up off the bunks and CLOSE inspection of the hull.

Good Luck:cool:

TEE is correct, you also won't find a rub rail fault by filling the bilge on a glass rig. Something that does need to be checked as well are the thru-transom bolts for your motor. Tin or glass. I almost sunk my boat due to the fact that even though the bolts were tight, they had wallowed out the sealant and we had a heck of a time finding out where the water was coming from. It only leaked when the motor was under load torque put on the mounting bolts!!

Glad you brought that up Tox.

Although the tins are welded...the top cap is not, it's riveted.

Running a bead of caulk along the bottom edge elimantes water getting in thru the cap.

Todd - Did you ever get to the root of the problem? I have the same boat and I am experiencing the same problem.....I am thinking it is a plumbing issue.

I have had the same problem on my 2012 Targa V18 WT. After several checks of hoses, pumps, hull and finding no leaks, I realized it only happens when I have water in the rear livewell, either from using it as a livewell, or filling it with ice to use as a cooler (no pumps involved here). I then noticed gaps between the plastic livewell and the aluminum deck where it had been riveted together. You see this when you open the doors to the rear livewell. I discovered that water sloshing around in there will leak into the hull / bilge area. I sealed that joint with silicone and no more water into the hull. Hope this helps! Targa

Latest posts

Back