I could use a recommendation...

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

St Rich

Reaction score
I would like to upgrade my Fish Finder, but I really do not have much experience with them. Currently, I am using the Lowrance® X-4 Pro that came with my PG V-16WT. The lakes that I fish are all less than 100 feet deep. The water temp and depth are the key features I use, but the X-4 does not seem to accurate when it comes to finding fish.

Can any of you recommend a solid, user-friendly, fishfinder bargain that wont break the bank? Other than the X-4, I have not used a fishfinder, so there will be a learning curve.

I would like to keep it under $400

Thanks in advance for your suggestions...

Yeah, don't know. I live my HB 597 ci HD di unit. I got 4 mounts so I can use the head on pontoon boat console and trolling motor as well as the Tracker Pro 175TF console & TM (also for my Nitro 170TF that's for sale, console & TM), so that's 6 mounts. I got mine when it was 450 on sale, now its around 600. But it works damn good in bright sunlight and to me that's a plus. I had my X4 taken off by the dealer during the prep. Its to me totally useless and I sure didn't want it. Heck though, sold it for $50 so it wasn't all bad :D

Thanks Charles - I was taking a look at it. The imaging on that unit seems pretty spectacular. How user friendly would you rate the Humminbird units? Are they simple to learn? I figure if I can work a smart phone with ease I shouldn't have a problem, right;)

Have you had any experience with Lowrance Units of the same price/caliber?

Find a store with a good selection of units and try them all. Spend as much time as you can. Don't let the salesman talk. Just tell him that you are playing. Quality of all is very similar, none are bad. Find the one that has the features and ease of use that suits you. That's the best way to find what YOU like.

I agree but I've NEVER bought a Lowrance unit and won't have one. I like the HB's that much. I've bought plenty of used boats with broken Lowrance units - some kinda functioned, but never completely or had damaged screens. So my experience with used lowrances were NIL and the X4 just like a HB that cheap, might be good for somebody's very first unit on a jon boat, but I'd NEVER hang something that cheap that I knew I wouldn't like. So mobilhomer is right, go and play with them, then research them some more before plunking down the CC.

I agree that you should definitely get out and push some buttons on the units and find what is right for you. No sense in buying a fancy electronic item if you can’t remember what button combination is needed to activate that new flashy feature – which may be why I don’t have a smartphone!
Consider the size of the display and how far away it will be from your eyes. A 5-inch display is good enough for me on the console but over the years it has gotten too small for me to see at the bow. Decide if you want or need GPS and/or mapping. What about the type of sonar? Some sonar types will make it easier to find structure and fish. Just remember that more features and a bigger display mean more $$$, but also think about buying for the future. Spending a little more than you originally planned for now may keep you from buying another unit next year.

Sorry, I left something out about playing with the units. Put them in demo mode and play with contrast, sensitivity, speed - all the features. Some GPS systems have better OEM maps than others. If you need more info than on the stock maps, there are add-on maps available. If you can afford only one unit, like Airforce you can add mounts and transducers at other locations. And I totally agree with Greg, size DOES matter! Also, the better units are not obsolete before you get them installed. The less expensive models tend to be replaced with the "latest and greatest" before you get out the door!
'"

Thanks Guys! Some good advice here. I did not realize that the technology on these units advances so quickly. I appreciate all of the insight.

Oh and one other thing. IF money lump sum payment is a problem - consider this. Bass Pro (think cabela or somebody else too) will do a 6 month payment plan that works like this. They will take the item and initially charge 3 months worth to the CC, to basically check your credit. After 3-10 days they refund 2 months worth. For every month they charge a $1 processing fee and its automatically submitted to your CC for processing about every 28 days. I've done it for several years now and that's how I funded my 597 couple years back when it was on sale for 450. You can do the 6 month payment deal on any item as long as all items total $125. So say a $1000 item divided by 6 would be 166.67 + 1. Your initial cost is 166.67 x 3 for credit check. X2 comes back within 10 days. To get the 6 pay plan, call them if it doesn't show when doing a check out. You can do up to 3 of these payments plans concurrently. I found that out by accident when I tried to do the 4th one :eek::oops:.

Funny you should bring that up. I was just looking at that as an option. Thanks for the heads up!

There is another option and cheaper.
Purchase from a marine electronics dealer instead of a big box general sporting goods place like Bass Pro or Cabelas.
Most sell below MSRP.
Some units are on sale for almost $1000 less than MSRP.
You can get more for less with smart shopping.
Not only that, you will be dealing with someone that knows those products.

Check out:
Universal Mania
Three Rivers Marince Electronics
BBG Marine Electronics
Shut-up-and-Fish

Wayne - So I went to BPS and played with a few of these the other night. I find that both the Lowrance and Humminbird units have features I like. I did find this deal on the BBG Marine Elec. site.... Humminbird 788ci HD DI Combo - $429.00

Seems almost too good to be true since it is at least $600 everywhere else. Have you done business with them before? Are they refurbished units that are not advertised as such?

Wayne - So I went to BPS and played with a few of these the other night. I find that both the Lowrance and Humminbird units have features I like. I did find this deal on the BBG Marine Elec. site.... Humminbird 788ci HD DI Combo - $429.00

Seems almost too good to be true since it is at least $600 everywhere else. Have you done business with them before? Are they refurbished units that are not advertised as such?

No, I haven't but lots on another web site purchase from them. UM has sales all the time, you just have to keep checking for a specific model you may be interested in and catch if before that model is sold out.

"If you snoose, you loose"

Latest posts

Back