Hydrofoil for 40 Merc - Suggestions??

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrepMan

Reaction score
OK gang - Early next year my 5 year extended warranty runs out so i'm planning on putting on a foil on the S.S. Daddy! So i want to start looking now and this fall as they all go on sale. Who has suggestions? Brands? One piece vs 2 piece? The one for 40 hp and under or the one for 40hp and over???

Oh, and for anyone who cares, so far 4.5 years and ZERO warranty claims, I KIND of (not realy!) want something BIG to break so I can get my $$ out of the warranty!! LOL

Trepman!!!!

You know that you want something to break just so you can trade in the tin and wrap your ass in fiberglass. LOL

Mike
http://

Trep-

I tried one on mine for a few months.For the loss in top speed it wasn't worth the minimal gains I got.My speed dropped from 34 to 32 with a foil.Mine is a two piece,maybe a stingray jr.If you want it I'll send it to you.

I don't see any reason for you to mess with it.If it aint broke................

Unless it's for pulling the tube..........

Steve - Everyone says that when running WOT the foil is OUT of the water, how did it drop the top speed? Do you have the big or small one? I wonder if its the big one it didn't get all the way out of the water??

Trepman - just have Bekka buy you the 75 and be done with it! I bet that'll start one of those big tiff's :)

Bruce - Telling her to buy it won't start the Tiff. Now if I dropped the boat off for a service visit PAID to have the motor swap out and she didn't notice until she did the bills and SAW the Tracker Reciept - THAT would DEFINETLY start a HUGE TIFF!!! To the tune of about $2,500 !!! LOL

I believe it is the Stingray Jr.,it isn't very big.

I don't know if the cavitation plate comes out of the water or not.It is only what,four or five inches above the prop.It seems like if the prop is that close to the surface,it would catch all the turbulant water and slip.

I don't know....I'll climb back there tomorrow while I'm running and take a peek.LOL

The only benifit I really noticed was that when I am by myself,the boat doesn't lean as far to the right.

I believe I got mine at Wally world,it is just sitting in the garage.If you want it,let me know.It is a two piece.

Steve OK, hang on to it for now, unless you're gonna throw it away!!! I want to do some more research and see if anyone else has one on our size motors and how it runs!

Hey - Did you re-do your electrical yet??

I would guess that Steve lost the speed because your boats aren't ment to ride "up on the pad" like glass boats so they sit lower in the water even while running at top speed. That would allow the foil to create drag.....

Michael, I'm not sure it's worth the 30 or 40 buxs to you.....

Yeah Trep........

I plugged the plug back together that had worked loose in the rough water.Took me ten seconds.

Then I spent three hours fixing everything I had tore up trying to find the problem at the rally.LOL

Steve

Do you want it for pulling the tube? It seems like your boat runs fine just like it is.

HA HA that is TOO funny So it was JUST a loose plug? No shorts, wire cuts??? Man that sucks!!!

With all this talk Bruce brought up about a 75, i'm having day dreams of pushing my 175 into the mid-40s!!! Dreams is all they are!! Don't have the cash to do it - yet!!!

Steve - I'm thinking of 2 things 1) yes pulling some HEAVY kids in the tube and 2) better hole shot when i'm loaded down with the wife, kids and all our gear! or worse when i've got 2 of my 200lb+ buddies the whole shot stinks!

Oh, and I think it looks COOL!!! LOL

No Steve, my wife runs the books, it's CASH or nothing! Don't like those interest payments!!! LOL

Hey i'm going in to the chat room, come on down!

I have fished with two 200 lb buddies also.

And I can tell you the only way a foil will help if it is bolted onto a bigger motor.

I also plugged in the charger and it worked.I have no idea why it wouldn't work down there.

You used the ext. cord for your computer and it worked for it,but not for my charger.

That 31 series battery lasted all weekend without slowing a bit.

I have 2002 pt 175 with 40hp far the most part it dose not help.When u have a big load or in rough water it dose help not as in speed it just helps bring rhe nose down.If i had to do all over i would NOT! It also toke about 2 mph off the top speed.If u want to know any more just yell.I am off to the lake.

Scott

Climb on the back deck and see if the foil is out of the water while running wide open.LOL

We need to find out for sure....

Just kidding...

Michael, I've got a two piece SST that is unused. Just need to get some stainless bolts, cause I am not sure where I put the hardware. If it doesn't help your performance, take it off, fill the holes with JB Weld, sand, and paint with matching automotive or genuine Mercury paint.

Yours if you want it.

Latest posts

Back