Hydraulic steering for an older bass boat

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwnarup

Reaction score
I have a 1987 Bass Cat Pantera bass boat that needs the steering replaced. I am considering switching from mechanical to hydraulic. When I contacted Bass Cat I received this comment. "Due to the 1987 model boats still having wood in them I would be concerned about Hydraulic steering because of the pressure this will put on the transom". I have been unable to find any similar comments anywhere. Does this make any sense to anyone? The only thing I can think of is that I that I use the feedback to properly trim the motor, so I guess without the feedback an operator might run around without trimming. But I never thought that was really a problem. Has anyone had an issues with hydraulic steering on older boats?

welcome to the forum. What is the maximum hp rating of this boat? I'd want to see a picture of the transom. Some of the older transoms were barely suitable for a 30hp motor. Do you happen to have one of the newer transom motor pods? On the pontoon boat forums I use to manage, its a mistake some would make on older pontoons during a rebuild, not upgrading the motor pod so it could take the stresses as more support mounts are needed at the rear for the pod. Usually done when putting in a new floor if the owner desired. New motor pods are not cheap and new additional supports are a MUST.

Having said that, IF your motor support and supports are the rear of the boat are sufficient, then I don't see a problem. When's the last time the wood in the transom been replaced? Is it at least 2 inches thick (bonded)? A picture or two of your transom will help me a LOT determining if I think its safe enough.

I have a 1987 Bass Cat Pantera bass boat that needs the steering replaced. I am considering switching from mechanical to hydraulic. When I contacted Bass Cat I received this comment. "Due to the 1987 model boats still having wood in them I would be concerned about Hydraulic steering because of the pressure this will put on the transom". I have been unable to find any similar comments anywhere. Does this make any sense to anyone? The only thing I can think of is that I that I use the feedback to properly trim the motor, so I guess without the feedback an operator might run around without trimming. But I never thought that was really a problem. Has anyone had an issues with hydraulic steering on older boats?

Thanks for the reply.

The HP rating for the boat is 200 HP. The transom is original but the boat has always been garaged and is in really good shape.
The only dry-rot issues I have had was with the seats.

I keep getting errors when I upload pics but I will try posting anyway to see if it works.

Here are the pics.
20140822_102636[1].jpg
20140822_102648[2].jpg
20140822_102710[1].jpg
20140822_102744[1].jpg

for some reason I had pontoon boats on my mind but in your case, I don't see that as a problem. Contact SeaStar and Teleflex directly - if they balk, then listen.

Latest posts

Back