Humminbird 898 HD SI v's Lowrance HDS 7 Touch

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THOMMO59

Reaction score
When to my local supplier yesterday all ready to order HB 898 HD SI and the manager did his best to talk me into a Lowrance HDS 7 Touch Screen. He has both for sale and the price is similar but the HB is a little cheaper. I'm still 99% on the HB, and one of the biggest selling features to me is one transducer, , not 2 like Lowrance.

He claimed warranty issues with HB and also that the Lowrance was way ahead in technology. He also claimed the the images on the demos have bee 'touched up" on HB but not on Lowrance.

At the end of the day, I want a sounder with clear SI and DI, easy to use, one transducer, preferably shoot thru hull and good reliabilty.

Would love to hear any feedback, good or bad.

So far, every contact or experience that I've had with HB has been first class, but this guy was pretty convincing.

THOMM059,
To start off with, I'll let you know ahead of time that I'm a Pro-Staffer for Lowrance. So with that out of the way, lets address your "local supplier's" comments.

As much as I love my Lowrance electronics, I simply refuse to bad-mouth the competition. Fact is - Humminbird makes fine electronics that many have enjoyed using for many years. I'd never take a store employees word for fact when it comes to warranty issues unless they have proof (at least personal experience), and what he told you about Humminbird customer service is simply not what I've heard for a great many years. His statements about technology, while flattering to my own brand of choice, are highly inflated, and it sounds like he has some agenda.

Facts as I see them:
1) Both Lowrance and Humminbird put out top quality units. Both use highly advanced technology to put out superior sonar, structure / side scan, and GPS readouts. I believe it's the wise customers own choice of screen display and features that affects their decision (or it should :) ). My own preference for screen display, particularly 2D sonar, has been Lowrance for a great many years (since 1994). Many others who I respect greatly within the industry feel the same way about Humminbird. How can we all be right? It's because it's our personal preference in readout (and features). What one person thinks looks great, the other person may see as inferior in quality.

2) People base a lot of what they do off of the internet or point-of-purchase talk from store employees that may not be any more knowledgable than they are. Sometimes they are, sometimes they aren't. Why do that? It's a ton of money being spent. If you are going to talk to them and hear them make those types of claims, ask them how they know. I'd be willing to bet money that some have simply just heard it from someone else. If they have practical experience with the subject, then I give them more credit. If they can't answer "why?", then I just take that opinion for what it's worth.

3) Neither company make a shoot thru hull transducer for Structure Scan / Side Scan. They both make thru-hull mounts, but it is drilling though your hull to mount the actual transducer underneath your boat with the wiring coming through the hull into the boat. Pictures of the Humminbird thru-hull mount are here (towards bottom of page) : http://www.humminbird.com/Faq.aspx?TaxonomyId=93A1817 Notations of the Lowrance thru-hull mount are here (side of page - bronze thru-hull single or double): http://www.lowrance.com/en-US/Products/Sonar/Lowrance-StructureScan-HD-en-us.aspx

4) While I can definitely see an advantage to having one transducer to do it all (price, mounting), I can also see a disadvantage at the same time. If your 2D transducer goes out, you may have to replace the whole thing. If my 2D transducer goes out (still using the same shoot-thru-hull one that came in my boat in 2005), I can just replace that piece and not have to replace my Structure Scan transducer as well. Now, I have read that you can add a second "high speed" transducer to the Humminbird units. That may or may not be necessary with your particular setup to get a good reading at high speed. I'm sure Humminbird Greg can give a much better description of this, as well as pointing out what your particular needs might entail on this subject. I won't guess at this point, as Greg is much better versed in his own brand and can give better advice on Humminbird transducer choice.

5) If "every contact or experience that (you have) had with HB has been first class", then let that weigh more than some pretty convincing salesman that you just met. Too many people jump on the bandwagon after hearing a negative story about some company. Many won't even change that thought process, no matter how well that company may treat others after the fact.

I hope this helps in your decision, and wasn't confusing. I think you would be happy with either unit. But please take into consideration that shooting thru-hull isn't going to be possible with either manufacturer on the Structure / Side Scan.

All the best,
Glenn

P.S. (HDS7 touch is one awesome unit!) :)

Last edited:
Now, you sir, have given Lowrance a NICE presentation and while I will always prefer a humminbird (its all I've ever used during my lifetime). It shows you have CLASS and I really appreciate that. My experience with salespeople of fishfinder units generally have always left me the feeling that beyond the BS sales talk, they really didn't know any more than I did if I did some research on it first before going to the retail. I now have a 597 and its MUCH smarter than I am and I still haven't hardly touched the book to understand it any better preferring instead to "play" with it. I fish just for recreation and would have loved to have had a SI unit, but I just can't justify spending that kind of money. I use the same 597 on console, and bow of both my pontoon boat and bass boat to save money overall, just unplug the head and relocate.

I prefer too, just to talk to those that have those units and ask general questions rather than just asking how they "like" the unit. I'm the same way with my trolling motors. Have always preferred Minn Kota (especially PowerDrives), never really cared for the vast majority of others that I've tried (on somebody else's boat or one I picked up used on a boat).

Thanks for the explanation and clarification. :thumbs up:

Thanks guys,

I have a had a couple of dealings with HB Greg and he is the "Bob B" of this site for sounders, super helpful and just a nice guy. Glenn, much appreciated and agree with Airforce, no need to bag out the others, put forward your own case, always the advice I teach my sales guys. I have learned alot abot both units in the last week, particularly around transducers and the mounting of them. Which by the way I am having a holeshot plate made for under my jackplate and then mounting underside of that.

Being in sales all of my life, I very clearly understanding sales pitches from imformation, but this guy was the store manager and he qualified his comments by saying some stuff which I won't repeat as it was just negative.

I know it's a bit like the Ford / Chevvy debate and I don't won't to start any disputes.

Once again , thanks Glenn, but I'm off to order a HB 898 SI this morning.

Let the learning begin!!

:):confused::confused:

The holeshot plate under my Bob's Machine jackplate is where I mounted mine as well. I believe it's a very good choice in mounting locations. I hope you enjoy your new HB 898 SI, and if you decide to try Lowrance in the future, I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have.

All the best,
Glenn

Well, have my HB 898 hd SI on order but I need to buy a memory card. Can anyone tell me the type and size etc, is there one better than another or which ones not to buy?
Thanks

Typically SanDisk is the most trouble free.
The faster cards work the best for recording and snapshots (class 10 -- 30MB/s and faster). That would be the Extreme series.
A class 4 is OK for software updates since those files are small.
The unit can use up to a 32 GB size card but typically 4 GB or 8 GB is plenty.

Either one you choose.
You can get the regular SD card or the microSD card with a SD card adaptor.
I use both.

Well my new baby arrived, the HB 898 HD SI and I just got back from the maiden voyage. love this thing and I was very indecisive about the images I might get, basically, I thought people were playing me a little. Here's some of my images today, first time out, bugger all experience but thanks to Wayne, Greg and HB TV, I think I did pretty bloody good first time.

Attachments

• S00009.jpg
    S00009.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 688
  • S00007.jpg
    S00007.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 644
  • S00004.jpg
    S00004.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 612
  • S00010.jpg
    S00010.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 657
Good job.
It looks like you need to adjust the transducer so it is parallel with the water's surface. You may have it parallel with the hull bottom.

The bridge pilings and their shadows should be horizontal on the screen to get even better images.

That only applies if you don't use the SI transducer for on-plane depth readings. If you do, then that is OK.

Thanks Greg,
It's not for on plane, those images are at about 3-4 mph.
Do you mean parallel front to back of the hull or side to side?
The transducer has lots of movement front to back.
Thanks

Parallel front to back. The bottom of the SI pulse is scanning the pilings before the top of the pulse. The pulse should scan all a vertical surface at the same time.

The movement within the metal bracket is not an issue.

If the transdcuer is not level side to side, you will get a brighter image on the lower side on a flat bottom.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Greg ,
I just adjusted it , I had the plastic pivot piece on the transducer backwards which allowed too much movement. The transducer was way lower at the back compared the the front ( tilted down like a boat getting on the plane)
Really appreciate the advise mate.

Latest posts

Back