Humminbird 597CIHDDI Question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Ramberger

Reaction score
Here are the symptoms:

1) When trimming motor down (only when trimming down) static appears on the screen only for the time the motor is being trimmed. Happens with motor off so it is not exhaust or prop. The static scrolls across the screen as an event. as soon as you stop trimming, the static stops and you can watch the band of static scroll across the screen

2) When running across the lake, snow on screen but can see bottom (not overly concerned)but for $650 would like a more clear picture

3) When sitting still, very clear screen - unless trimming down motor

What I have done thus far:

1) Rerouted transducer cable inside boat as far away as other wiring as physically possible

2) Hooked unit to trolling motor battery to isolate it from main battery the trim motor is on

3) Played with every height and angle of the transducer (Mainly for running on plane snow on screen)

Tried to locate a filter for the power line (can't find anything locally)

None have helped.

Any thoughts? Greg Walters are you able to give any suggestions?

Thanks to all in advance.

Not Greg and he will reply but my bet is you need and in line filter. I've never had interference from having my units wired to my cranking battery though. Usually if you hook them to your trolling batts, you get interference when you engage the troller. Sounds like this is not the unit on the bow though. In the meantime provide a little more info on ) where it is mounted and where the transducer is mounted as well.

TOXIC

Ed,

Toxic is right about wiring to the cranking battery and that most complaints are from trolling motor interference. We do have a power cable that has an in-line ferrite core in it that may help. You would need to contact our Customer Resource folks for it (PC-11). Not sure that it will clear this up though as it was made for trolling motor interference. Does the trim motor interference happen on all sonar frequencies or just on one or two? The only other thing I can think of that may help is to make sure that you have a good ground between your motor and the negative side of the cranking battery.

For the snowy screen when running across the lake: make sure that this is not some type of motor interference and an extension of the interference that you see when using the trim motor. Try getting back out on the lake and take your motor out of gear and than rev the motor to the same RPM level that you would be at when running across the lake. If you see the snow again than the root cause of the problem is main motor interference and you should go by what the Customer Resource folks tell you to do to try and fix it. If the screen remains clear than the problem is the location of the transducer as you are just on the edge of losing the bottom readings. Typically lowering the transducer and even giving it a slight downwards tilt to the back end of the transducer helps with this. If you have exhausted these possibilities you may have to consider a new mounting location altogether. If this is a glass boat you may want to look at an inside-the-hull installation.

Greg Walters at Humminbird

Hi Greg,

When it is powered off of the trolling battery, the interference on the screen (when trolling down)is identical to the interference when it's wired to the cranking battery. So a bad ground on the main battery is doubtful imho.

I had looked at ferrite chokes at radio shack as we use them on some of our efi cabling to eliminate interference. In my heart i suspect that the transducer cable itself is taking in some sort of interference. Have you ever installed ferrite chokes on that wire?

Any other thoughts? Thanks again in advance,

Ed

I have not installed a ferrite choke on a transducer cable but know that it is possible. I would give the Humminbird Customer Resource folks a call and see if they have any suggestions for you. The only way to know that the interference is coming in on the transducer is to physically move it away from the motor and its cabling.

Did you do the test with the motor out of gear?

The interference from the trolling motor can look the same as other forms of interference. There are only so many ways that interference can be shown on a sonar unit.

Greg Walters at Humminbird

Latest posts

Back