Howdy Tracker Owners...

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

St Rich

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am a recent transplant from the NTOWS forum. I am new to boat ownership and the fishing techniques that are involved (FlyFisherman by trade). Picked up a sweet little Tracker PG V-16 back in March and I love it. Great boat, no problems other than it doesn't attract fish. I fish mostly in a local reservoir here in CO that contains predominately Walleye, Trout and Smallies. I hope to learn many things about boating and fishing here and appreciate any insight provided. In turn, hopefully my experiences can assist others as well.

Welcome bud! I'm hoping to snag a few walleye myself down here, starting to show up more and more in the local reservoirs.

They are become more prevalent here as well. I have landed a few this year but haven't found "The big one" yet. Thanks for the welcome note.

Hi everyone. I am a recent transplant from the NTOWS forum. I am new to boat ownership and the fishing techniques that are involved (FlyFisherman by trade). Picked up a sweet little Tracker PG V-16 back in March and I love it. Great boat, no problems other than it doesn't attract fish. I fish mostly in a local reservoir here in CO that contains predominately Walleye, Trout and Smallies. I hope to learn many things about boating and fishing here and appreciate any insight provided. In turn, hopefully my experiences can assist others as well.

Can you troll for walleyes in your lakes?

I used to actively fish several walleye tournament circuits so I would be glad to share anything I know that would be of interest...

Yes Sir, we do. Most seem to troll, primarily in the sandy/gravel bottomed areas. I have not been too successful with that yet and have pulled most in with a shad rap or anchored with live leeches sitting on the bottom using bright neon hooks. The lake I fish close to home (Chatfield Reservoir) doesn't get much deeper than 30ft in most areas and I am mostly in 10-20 ft of water. The walleye are actually bred and stocked pretty heavily. Some grow to be quite large, but I have only brought in a few around 16 to 18 inches in length. There are plenty of smallies, cats, perch and bluegill as well depending on where you are in the lake.

I have been told many people are using bottom bouncers (which I just learned about this year) to troll with and have been fortunate. I have been a fly fisherman my whole life, so I am learning everything from flipping a baitcaster to various rigs, techniques, etc. I honestly had no idea how many types, techniques and ways to fish from a boat there really are. On the weekend fishing shows, bill Dance and those guys make it look like you toss a gummy worm in the water and start slaying bass. Haha. If only it was that easy.

I have mostly been focusing on becoming comfortable with the boat (first time owner) and using the trolling motor without running aground on the rocks. Throw in some stressfull CO storms and things are a bit hectic and take away from mastering fishing techniques. Long story short... I am open to any advice whatsoever, referrals to a good training book, or anything else that may help.

A couple of things to look into getting: 2oz bottom bouncers (you can refine this later for different depths...but 2oz works); "Offshore brand planer boards and the upgraded clips (not cheap but well worth the cost); Send me an address (PM) and I will send you 6 or so crawler harnesses and a "noodle" keeper (for free...I have hundreds; And, I will send you the copied pages of the trolling bible for a few selected lures (cranks); shop around for at least two inexpensive (Walmart has Skespeare brand) line counter reels OR if you already have some large capacity baitcasters like 500 or 6500 Abus you can buy the clip on line counters.... some type of line counter is a necessity for accurate trolling and 7-8' heavy rods Cabelas has some inexpensive ones and actually (although not as sturdy as others) the big yellow rods from Eagle Claw are good (fiberglass not graphite are the best to start). And some kind of "very sturdy" rod holders for the sides of the boat I prefer RAM 2000 but others work... Your electronics become important because you need to be able to know your real speed from 1-4 mph and to repeat trolling passes time after time... gradually moving in and out sometimes till you locate fish over flats or points, etc. Spool the rods with 12lb Big Game or 10lb XT

Thats way more than enough to start (spending your money...lol)

Greg - Please send me a message at [email protected] and I can reply with an address. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, but no wifi on the water over the weekend.

Latest posts

Back