How to seal a leak caused by me??

• Thread starter Michael Trepper
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrepMan

Reaction score
OK about 2 years ago i beached the Tracker and took the kids to the beach. Well long story short it was a WAVY day and the boat washed sideways up on shore. The bottom of the drain plug receptical got worn and the boat would leak. I liberarly applied waterproof bathroom caulk and it held for about 2 years. I need to fix this again, so any suggestions? I need something that will bond to the plastic housing and the aluminium hull/transom. Should I just again use caulk and replace very 2 years?

Barring replacing the fitting (which seems like the best choice), use a marine-grade silicon that's meant to be used below the waterline. Even if you replace the fitting, you'll want to use the silicon to seal the mating surfaces and screw holes (if any).

Otherwise, you can do it "Arkansas style" and just drill a hole in the bottom of the hull so the water that comes in from the plug can drain back out. Don't forget your insurance and lifejackets.

Rich and Mike - DUH!!! I had an extra fitting (when I lost the first plug and can't find it. I guess the easy thing IS to replace it! OK next question then - The fitting is riveted through the hull, how do I remove the rivets w/out damaing the transom??

Tee - Then I have to find someone with a welding thingie!! I assume you don't want to WELD plastic to aluminium, it would MELT!!!

??? The drain on mine is welded aluminum with a plug. What type you have?

Oh Man, when I saw that message title I thought me! stuck a high heel through your boat or something! HAR!

JB Weld was never ever allowed in any of the machine shops I was in;)It's O.K. but, it's still a temp fix:)

Trep it is most likley held in by pop rivets. if it is just drill off the heads, and replace the plug using new pop rivets and some sealant. If you decide to just seal it back up use 3m 5200 marine sealant. That stuff will last a good long time. You can get it at walmart.

Hutch - LOL!!!!

Tee - No on mine there is a plastic female fitting that does through a hole in the hull. Its attached with 2 rivets. Right after I bought the boat I lost the plug (even though it had a thingie that went back into the boat and held it in while it was draining), and you could not buy just the plug (it's a screw type) w/out the fitting.

Here is what I have in my 2000 PT 175
http://www.iboats.com/mall/index.cg...n plug&session_id=193975583&cart_id=907765255
21880_0.gif

Since i'm going to replace this, is there a better one to replace it with??

I cant think of anything better, I have hadthem in my last two boats and never any leaking problems.

Jim - I don't think i'd have had a problem if the boat had now washed up towards shore and rocked back/forth on the sand/rocky bottom.

Just use screws with plastic washers instead of rivets?

Why do I always get blamed for everything?????????

Hutch, I wear SENSIBLE shoes! LOL!!

Yep, just use screws. That way, when you do it again, and you will, you don't have to worry about pop rivets.

Don't forget that even though the rivet is maybe 1/4" total, you need a good 3" drill bit. Er, um, use the smallest bit you can to get the job done. There's no sin in changing drill bits.

Next, go buy a replacement for the replacement you just used. I kept TWO spares after I lost one on the way to the lake one day. Of course, I trailer with the plug out, so maybe you don't have that problem.

And finally, why not just weld the hole up? Ain't that what bilge pumps are for? :) Do put duct tape over the weld, just in case it ain't strong enough.

Good plan Teri, then Trep can be King GLASS!!!!!!! lol

I would not use screws to secure the plug in. The metal is really too thin for a screw. A pop rivet will be much more secore over the long haul. Sheet metal screws as the name implies are for sheet metal but they always have a tendancy to work loose when used on sheet metal without anything to back it up to get a good bite. The only way to put a screw in and make it secure would be a machine screw and a lock nut, pop rivets would be a much easier choice.

Snow - I like the idea of welding it shut, but then i'd have to buy or borrow a welding thingy and I don't know how to use it.

But, you got me thinking (A DANGEROUS thought!) Why not just seal it up? But the wife (the engineer) just said "your pump will not get it all out, and it will get MOLDY!!"

Squirt a little dish washing liquid in that inch of water and let it slosh around while you trailer the boat.It loostens up all that cruddy oil in the bilge.

The only time I pull my plug is over winter.

Trep I have one of those welding thingies tow it up here and I will weld it shut for ya..

BF

Trep I would use screws and use some RTV marine sealant arount them.

Donnie

Trep - Jim B gave you the advice that a Tracker shop would probably use. It's a very easy replacement. Drill out the centers of the rivets, remove the old unit, clean off the transom surface, apply a quality RTV sealant around the drain hole, install the new plug unit, and pop in two more rivets. It should take you less than an hour total. Good luck!

And if you don't have a pop rivet tool..... You can probably get one for under $10 at WallyWorld with a 10-year supply of rivets!

One thing i forgot is make sure you use aluminum pop rivets. Stainless steel ones will cause galvanic corrosion on the hull.

OK what else would a pop rivet tool be good for? Gotta justify the man tool to my accountant! Of course it HAS to be cheaper then having a dealer fix it for me, that might work.

Hmmm...justify the pop rivet gun as a home/auto repair tool? I've seen the back side of a pop rivet gun used many times as a hammer.

Fellas - I read Trep's response for "pop-rivet gun intervention" and had to get a Coke, from laughing so hard I almost choked!!

STILL ROFLMBO!!!!!

Forget the Coke...I had to pour another Crown!! If I ever post here that I have to justify buying a $5 tool, please shoot me and put me outta my misery!!

Trep, lose the skirt and go down to the hardware store and get yourself the "deluxe" pop rivet gun! Better take your wife with ya so she can show you how it's done!! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Bob G.

OK how was I supposed to know it was a $5 tool!!! OK me! did say it was $10 at wallyworld. Found out its a $3 part at Tracker, need to get a 2 piece medium Heavy casting rod anyway for my travel case for our canada trip, so off to BPS this weekend!!!

Bob - If I take off the skirt do I have to loose the high heels and bra too??? LOL

Michael - If we lived closer together, I'd have slapped you a new plug in there in about as much time as it took me to stop laughing at your "tool justifying". I gotta tell you, that had me going all night long. Thanks!!

AND STILL ROFLMBO!!!!!

Trep,

You can keep the heels and bra, but should at least wear pants. Maybe staci can give you some fashion tips for a trip to the hardware store!! LOL!!

Bob G.

Dan - That's my job, keep the rest of the site members happy and living longer!!! LOL

Bob - BWWAAAAA!!!!

Latest posts

Back