How to remove lock and snap pedestals on NX882

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Ervin

Reaction score
How can you remove pedestals 1.77 from the mounts? What can I use to pull the pedestal out without scratching up the post? Mine is really hard to get in and out. What can I do to make it easier in the future? Oil, grease, wd40???

Thanks,

Dave:wacko:

I used a strap wrench and electrical tape to hold the button in. Once you get it out......"IF" you get it out (they are a bear!!), everything you listed will make things worse. Best to take a dremmel or sandpaper and go to it on the post and the deck sleve. Then use white lithium or graphite to keep it from happening again.

Toxic is right, but one more thing == go easy with the sanding a little goes a long way. I made a makeshift sander out of a large wooden dowel split with sandpaper in the split

a screw in the other end, turned by my drill. too much sanding and it will be too loose. I put something around mine to serve as a pry point and used a board to pry upward on it as I turned it. If the strap wrench does not hold you can use a pipe wrench with a protective rubber sleeve but again be careful.

Do not use oil or grease in the mount hole. oil and grease will get below/on the carpet and mess up the adhesive. The Dremel to the mount hole trick is the ticket.

NJD

The real reason not to use oil or grease is that it will swell the sleeve and if you think it was hard to get out the first time...........:lol::lol:

One other thing to lok at is the carpet itself. On mine when i put the posts in i had to make sure there were no carpet fibers going between the hole and the post, if there were any they were an instant bear to get out.

I also used to lube mine with reel magic before i put them in, made them come out nice and easy at the end of the day.

Dave,

I have the exact same boat and HAD the exact same problem. I did fix it and from my experience, you will have to always do a bit of "maintenance" to keep the posts from going in and out smoothly.

I think TOXIC is right about the lubrication swelling the seat. I tried lithium grease and WD40 without success.

At one point, I could only get the bicycle seat post out of the seat by twisting. The seat twisted in the socket then the button would not pop out to lock the post in the seat. I tried and tried to turn it without success. I then carved the locking hole a bit bigger just to get the post to lock. I ended up calling Swivel-Eaze/Zebco and got a new sleeve.

I did sand the post (lightly) and the seat and got marginal returns. And yes, the carpet fibers will cause a problem. It was the carpet fibers that led me to the solution. Keep the post and the seat completely dry and clean. Just use a dry or slightly damp (with water) rag and wipe the post and seat out. The posts should slide in and out very easily.

Once you get the post(s) out, keep everything clean through the season and in the spring and I think your problem will be solved.

Bon chance....

Mike

Latest posts

Back