How crazy does this sound...

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TOMMY RICH

Reaction score
Since I'm still dealing with a small leak but, have identified another small crack and plan on tearing into this winter and head to the welder;

I looked into some bed liner spray that you use on truck beds and most all have Kevlar in them. Seems that would be a great "overcoat" for the bottom of my rig to seal it up afterwords.

I guess my question would be...how much weight would that add? Maybe not enough to be concerend about? Any ideas?

Just trying to save $ and motor is still good at this point.

I swear that aluminum comes from China:rolleyes:

I would bet it would add a good bit of weight with all the surface area you need to cover. My truck has the rhino liner on the bed and the tailgate alone weighs a good 10# more after the stuff was applied then it did before, possibly more. It may be worth a phone call to the companies that make it to see what they think. I thought about using it to seal up my row boat at one point too but then i started thinking about weight and kind of abandoned the idea.

On a side note, the rhino stuff that i have on my truck bed is great, it still looks like new after 6 years of pretty good beatings.

Even it added 50 lbs.....that's not that much spread out over the hull.

I know the stuff is tuff but, would it stay on the hull? Peel off?

I dunno...

We actually have contracted with a local Ziebart to do a keel protector that is dubbed "tuff-stuff". Approx 7' long and 1/8" thick...it is the same stuff that is in the truck beds...and you can have it any color you want as long as it's black. Best part is that if it's gouged you can easily touch it up with "herculiner", bought at any parts store...

Tee, I would assume you want to spray it on the INSIDE, right? On the outside, my bet is that it would create an enormous drag......

Try this stuff,.....I see it advertised on TV all the time and they even used it on a boat in the TV ad. ;)

It would only add as much weight as the 2-3 cans it would take to do your inside hull!!

https://www.getflexseal.com/

No way to do it on the inside....all foam, decks (rear is welded) and everything would have to be removed.

How rough is this stuff? I wouldn't think it would create that much drag if it was fairly smooth.

Just thinking outside the box here. May just fix it and get rid of the tin can.:wacko:

BTW Bob...not tryin' to ruff your feathers but, there's 3 right now with 190's over at the BBC with cracking hulls:(

Mac...I'd be very afraid of ANYTHING advertised on TV:lol:

Tee,

The stuff i have has a rough texture to it, its non skid and they arent kidding when they say that. I dont think it would peel off as long as the surface prep is good, it has stayed on my truck bed pretty solid for 6 years now. I have beat up my truck bed pretty hard over that time and it hasnt peeled, cracked or anything. It has even kept the bed from getting dented.

I just looked and Rhino lists the weight at ~65# for a normal truck bed which is 6' long. You have a lot more area then that to cover so id guess it may add over 100# plus to the hull.

Mac,

Billy Mays isnt selling that stuff on tv so who knows if its any good ;)

Tee, I thought you were going to get rid of that boat due to all the inferior welds. If that is the case then why spend that kind of money on a boat you aren't keeping. It's not going to be cheap to spray that boat. I have a friend who sprayed his YJ with bedliner purely as funtional protectant against scratches from brush and trees. It looks cool to me but I admit that it looks like his Jeep was sprayed with bedliner. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, but if you spray that boat with bedliner, that's what it's going to look like. What will that do to your resale? I'd be willing to bet it wouldn't help it. It will also mask any problems you may have with cracks or welds in the future, not fix them, just cover them up. Is that what you want? Just cover the problem up and not fix it, risk someone getting hurt. You've had your share of problems with your boat. I don't believe you to be the type of person to cover up a problem and pass it on to someone knowing it's not right. Leave the bedliner to it's purpose, truck beds. I did line the inside of a Jon boat and the bedliner worked like a charm for that. There are problems with bedliner on some applications. Plywood is one of those problem areas as you have to have a clean dry surface for proper adhesion. Plywood thats been in a boat will be next to impossible to dry and bubbling will result. I've used bedliner on numerous projects and knowing it's limits is the key. The outside of a boat will provide for good adhesion providing it's prepped aand dry. However, it will also be a major pain when you try to trailer the boat. More drag in the water and also more drag on the trailer bunks. Good Luck on your boat.

Eric...I'm not just gonna cover it up without some support and reweld the area(s) that are cracked. Like you said...that's just covering it up.

Sounds like I'm back to square one.

I was just over at BBC and the "poll" showed that the most "recommended tin boat" was the Xpress, followed closely by Tracker. I guess if they are THAT popular, they ALL can't be that bad. I guess it re-affirms my past comments, and that has to do with sheer volume. As a percentage, you might hear more about these problems, and as stated earlier, are prominent with mostly ALL brands. I personally haven't seen any one brand that didn't develop a crack over time, or develop a leak from a loose rivet....why can't we just arm wrestle and be done with this????????????:wacko::wacko::wacko:

Just be rid of the thing. Sell it as a fixer upper to somebody who has the time and money to put into it, or part it out then drag the hull to a scrap yard, get the aluminum weighed and get a nice check. Price of aluminum is pretty good right now. I really do feel for ya Tee. As you may or may not recall, Tracker replaced two TV18 hulls for me after the transoms failed on them, the 3rd one has held up just fine (knock on wood), even with St. Clair thrown into the mix. Dealing with Tracker was a complete nightmare that I woud not wish on anyone. I'm giving this rig another year or two, then I am done with any type of rig associated with Mr. Morris. My issues were associated with a design/engineering flaw and had nothing to do with welds, however I completely understand the issues of quality you have with your rig. It has taken me 8 years to get my current TV18 "right". I have a laundry list of things I have fixed on it myself, because I refuse to take it to the bumbling fools at the dealer who made a couple earlier problems worse. I don't believe that Tracker/Nitro's suck, I've been around boats long enough to know that they are all poor investments, however, I strongly believe that some are worse than others, and that you have a greater chance of having problems with a Tracker/Nitro product than many other manufacturers. Again, I DON'T THINK THEY SUCK, if you own one and haven't had issues, that's great. But God forbid if you do, and if it's a serious one, I would suggest a perscription of Xanax and some good dance shoes, cause Tracker Boats is gonna take you on a mindnumbing, neverending spin around the ballroom.

You'd lose Bob;)

Hmmm...seems like a get a lot of agreement here but, along with some BS:lol:

Seems I also can't get the point across that I can't afford a new one right now and was wanting some ideas.

Well now...these ol' guns may not have what they used to but back in my hey day I held my own. Sounds as though we have a challenge...unless your 6' 4" and weigh 250.:lol::huh:

Latest posts

Back