HotFoot & Others

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Hammer TOXIC

Reaction score
Convince me that I need a HF on my new boat....I understand it allows two hands on the wheel in rough water but I don't throttle up when conditions are less than ideal (it usually scares the heck out of clients). I was looking at the add on list through the NITRO site and so far I'm adding surge brakes, fiberglass fenders on the trailer, Minnkota TM (which is up in the air because you lose the recessed foot pedal) and a 3 bank 15 amp charger. What else should I consider (even aftermarket)?

TOXIC

Toxic

Get the hot foot and trim control at the wheel. The hot foot isnt just for wot runs, it does add a measure of saftey at all speeds. I put both on my boat this year and i have had a chance to use it in rough water, it makes working the throttle and trim much easier and faster. Sometimes if the going gets real bad you are on and off the throttle all the time as you know. The hot foot will make that much easier. Being able to keep both hands on the wheel is a bonus. Get the minnkota too you wint be sorry you did.

oh i forgot is that 15 amp charger the motorguide charger? or a dual pro? if its the motorguide dont get it they are crap.

Payback eh Charlie....I deserved that. LOL I just don't get the hotfoot thing. I've driven them, even in rough water but I never felt like I needed it. I like the recessed pedal on my MG and despite quite a few negative comments, mine has performed well and taken a lot of abuse. Keep firin' suggestions, I'm open.

How about a stereo with some nice Bose 131 marine speakers?

How long do you plan on keeping this boat Tox??? 1 yr?? 2??

Take some advice from a long time Pro-Staffer who has experience trying to "unload" (sell) tricked out boats!!

DON'T TRICK IT OUT!!!...LOL.....You'll never get back in re-sale what you have dumped into it,.....I'd even reconsider the fiberglass fenders on your trailer if you're going to sell the boat in a year.....when it comes to selling a used boat,...the cheaper the price going "into" it...the less you'll have to try and get out of it when you need to sell it! Safety things like a Hot Foot are a no-brainer...it's only a $100 option or so and it's worth every penny...but paying $600 for 'Glass fender's is NOT going to add to resale value....my 2000 901 had glass fenders as standard but if I had to order them again as an "option"...I wouldn't do it! You'd be far better off to get a basic 929 with only the H/F and T/M of your choice and leave the rest alone!! You'll never recoup it....you'll be lucky to breakeven on it in a year from now!! Minimize your potential financial losses a year from now by minimizing your expense going into it......trust me...been there...done that!! a LOT!!!

Mac

PS...if you plan on buying it and keeping it for a long time,...then by all means get what you want.....but if you're going to sell it a year from now...keep it as cheap as possible, 'cuz the BIGGEST hit on depreciation comes in the 1st 2 years!! You're goal should be to unload it for what your pay off is going to be,....so you can use it for free for a year,.......but if you have a ton of options on there,....and somebody can buy YOUR boat for $1000 less than an identical boat with a few "toys" added......I'd bet you a Cohiba they'll take YOURS and save the grand!! IMHO!!

I've been thinking of buying a Minnkota for the 901 . do you mean the Minnkota foot control doesn't fit in the recessed area?

Glass fenders are up to $800 now Mac. Gotta get the surge brakes for sure. I haven't seen the trailer w/o the glass fenders, what does it look like? It's hard not to get what you want. I will need to upgrade electronics. There is nothing up front standard. Only has a flasher in the console. You are 100% right though....gotta keep track of the bottom line!!

TOXIC

Tox,

I would definitely get the HF. I like the control when turning. It's always better to have both hands on the wheel when turning, and with HF you can control the speed as well. Do not get the HF without the sterring trim....there's no point in my opinion, 'cause your hand will rest on the throttle again.

Pierre

I can assure you that you do lose the recessed foot area with the minnkota. Their pedal is too big to fit in the recess. My partner ordered the minnkota and they put a carpeted piece in the recess area to bring it up flush with the deck but it is not "part of" the deck.

TOXIC

The regular 9 series trailer is just like every other Nitro trailer that doesn't get Glass fenders as an option. All metal fenders painted to match your primary hull color and then the tops of the fenders (on tandem axles) as well as the rear step pads have the SS diamond pattern step plates riveted to the top...they're nice looking....see "Teri's Library" and you can see her Banana boat's trailer....the 9 series trailers are identical. But again.....a LOT of people don't care for the 'glass fenders...they're a lot more work to keep looking good than the metal...not to mention MUCH MORE $$$$ to repair!!! Think "resale" Tox...not what "Toxic wants!!"...LOL....if you want it to be "Toxified"...then plan on either keeping it for 2-3years, AND/OR possibly losing $$$ at resale next year!! It's a tough call...but when you want to sell it fast and at minimal loss....."Cheaper is better than loaded!!!" (Loaded via Standard equipt is one thing......loaded via lots of added on options is entirely different!!)

The mechanics that work on boat motors have told me to definitely NOT put the Hot Foot on! They say it is very hard on the "reeds" in the motor.

I don't know but seemed to make a lot of sense to me.

(Just my $.02)

Hey Tox, For what it's worth, I don't run a HF, I sometimes make 45-50 min. runs on the James and find it very uncomfortable. It's good on short runs. I can handle the creeks just fine! kenny

Tox!!...ALL 2 cycle engines have Reeds!!!...whether they're carbed, EFI's or Opti's or HPDI's!!...If it isn't a 4 stroke with valves,..it's got REEDS!!!...

All I know is I asked my (who I thought was highly competent) boat mechanic and he definitely did not recommend it. Don't know but I got the impression that it could effect the warranty.

Just thought I would share the info.

I dont see how a hot foot could hurt the reeds. the reeds are internal to the motor and arent in any way attached to the throttle linkage. reeds operate by engine vaccum. all the hot foot does is replace the hand control with a foot one. other then using your foot the operation is the same. The only way i could see soemone huting the reeds would be to jump on and off the throttle constantly, you can do that with hand control too.

HF's have no adverse affect on a motor's performance.....if they did, I really doubt Triton's would offer HF's as standard equipment!! Throttle cables are throttle cables,..regardless if they're controlled by your foot or a hand lever,..your motor doesn't know the difference. They don't affect the motor warranty either....the ONLY reason I can think of for why your mech. doesn't recommend them...is because he hates to install them!!..LOL....They can be a pain to install, especially since the hand controls come already installed and all the mech. has to do is hook them up to the motor's linkage!! Hotfoot's are a lot more labor intensive....that's probably why he doesn't like them...just a guess though.

Mac

Okay, I'm gonna try to explain what I think he meant.

With the HotFoot, you are running WOT (or whatever)in rough water and you aren't able to keep the same steady pressure on the foot control, causing it to "slap". With the hand throttle, it isn't possible to "pop" it that much.

Of course, I doubt that is a problem in a Ranger since they ride so smooth!

(sorry, couldn't help that last remark)

I know.......here goes!

I would definitely recommend a hot foot. My Gambler came standard with it, and I've driven other boats without, them, and there's no comparison.

Like the others said I would also add adifferent trim system. My preference is floor trim, but steering trim is OK too...................sa

The important part about installing a hotfoot is being able to go to the dealer for a proper "fitting" before the pedal is secured to the floor, IF you don't have the "adjustable pedal base". Since you can't adjust the seat forward like a car seat so your foot reaches the pedal....the HF pedal has to be placed so the driver can fully depress the pedal and be able to comfortably hold it down ALL THE WAY so there's no "SLAP"...even in rough water!

Mac

(BTW-...I'll ignore the rest of that post!!..LOL)

Tox,

Have a hot foot on my boat also. Did not know what I was missing on the the last boat!!! For me, it is safer, as 35 or so on the Potomac and both hands on the wheel and not having to worry about throttle, just like driving the car. For me, this is now a gotta have, and not a Carlos wants. With the kill switch and the hotfoot I do feel safer, when I am able (not very often) to blast along in the 50's. I KNOW for a fact yours is able to go faster then that....

Just my two cents worth from Gerogia.

Carlos

OK, OK, you win.....I'll try a HF in my next one. Can't put it in my current boat because hopefully someone who is shorter than me is going to adopt her!!

TOXIC

Anything else that is a "gotta have"?

good electronics!!...nobody likes the cheap stuff,...especially in a 929!! (and don't bother with the custom color upgrade in your gelcoat...get a std color pkg,..the $800 'glass fender option and the $XXX price for custom colors is not a good idea unless you have a buyer already lined up that wants you to order "his/her" boat to their specs and then buy it from you at season's end....and even if you do that,...ask for a non-refundable deposit to hold them to it!)

Carlos, you are a BAD MAN!!! Thanks for the pointers Mac, a lotta stuff I hadn't thought about.

BYW Carlos, my partner pulled an 8.10 out of Anna today!! I'm goin out tomorrow with a client.

TOXIC

No problem Tox,...just tryin' to help a Brutha out and save you a few $$$$ in the process...this sport is expensive enough as it is,...without having to learn those lesson's the hard way!!

Let me know how it goes. I fly in to Dulles tomorrow afternoon, then I am actually OFF for the weeekend. If the wind is not bad, I will go and put in the river. I still need to take you on a river trip and show you the sights. Maybe do the test drive. You get the boat deal worked out?

Carlos

Dont know if you will get this far down again but my 901 tandem trailer came with surge brakes on one axel the up grade is for both axels, thats how it was explained to me. and my trailer I went for now fiberglass fenders to pay for the dual consol with no out of pocket that way.

Latest posts

Back