hot sauce,reel magic questions

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Gibson

Reaction score
does anyone use hot sauce or the reel magic?:huh:

what are the advantages and disadvantages of both?

does the reel magic leave an odor on your line ????????:unsure:

Steve><}}}}'>:blink:

I do soak my bearings in lighter fluid and treat them with Hot Sauce periodicly. Does it make a differance? Not sure but at least I know things are properly lubracated.

Reel Magic? I use it sometimes when the line is coiling up real bad. Does it help? A little I guess.

Harpo

I've used reel magic for a few years now and have no complaints. I usually use it on the line and wondered about the smell too but haven't noticed any negative results since I have caught fish right after using it. I also use it on my reels when i fish in saltwater to fight off any corrosion.

Never used hot sauce but would love to hear some comments from those that have.

I use the hot sauce. I like metal tube to make precise drops when maintaing the reel. Can't say that its any better than the old oil i use to use.

Reel magic yes. However, I have purchased KVD's new line conditioner, but haven't tried it as yet.

Also, just bought some hot sauce, and will be treating my reels before the next tourney.

Several in my club simply swear by the Hot Sauce.

Tex

I tried the hot sauce both grease and oil and i didnt like the grease for the gears at all. It didnt last but two trips and i could feel the gears grinding.

As far as the oil goes its ok but i could tell no difference(other then price and ease of supply) between it and the Rem oil i have been using for years. The rem oil i use i get the same distance and i can just go to walmart and get it when i need to.

Reel magic, yep. Its great first thing in the morning on the spinning reels to fight off coils. Love the stuff.

Tex let me know how the KVD stuff works, im cursous. If its better then reel magic i might try it.

Jim B...

On the REM oil... it's pretty slick stuff... and by that I mean that it may spin out of your bearings quicker than you think... leading to more frequent need of servicing.

I still stand by the Rocket Fuel... although I have not heard any negatives on the hot sauce oil.

I use Super Lube for grease and have not had any issues yet.

Simmy,

i only put it on the spool bearings and while i have never had a failure or anything to guage it on i do relube them every month or so( same time as i change the line). All of the other bearings get regular oil. I have been using that Rem oil for 10 some years plus on the spool bearings to get extra cast distance. It has worked very well for me.

I have tried the red rocket fuel too and from what im told its rebottled automatic trany fluid. It really fared no better( actually worse) for me cast distance wise over the rem oil.

Rem Oil is good... very low viscosity ratings... if you're relubing that often, then it ain't broke!

But that was the point of my post, rem oil will require more frequent service.

I use rocket fuel (yellow) and generally only have to service them every 6 months to a year.

I hear ya.

One of the reasons i relube that much is the amount i fish. Im on the water minimum 3 times a week all summer long. Tournaments and such all mixed in. As a part of normal maint i respool and relube the bearings and levelwinds on my reels about monthly. I figure since i have the spool out why not.

This is my first year using the Hot Sauce oil so I can't really comment yet:blink:

I have had good results with the Hot Sauce oil on my reels. It seems to last a long time, although I still reapply it yearly.

I have used the KVD the last couple of trips I went I like it better than reel majic. I also have heard that reel majic will make some line lose their strength causing more breakage....:eek:

The KVD is supposed to be able to be used on flourocarbon.....if you use real magic on flourocarbon it will hurt the line..

Real Magic is great, I spray my reels as i spool them up and I spray them at the end of each day....

Hot Suace is good, I use both the grease and oil.

I love the Reel Magic - use it all the time. Right before a tournament, I'll spray down my spinning reels with it, and it makes them smooth as silk. I also like to use it on anything heavy - like my Pitching / Flipping reels.

I havn't tried the Hot Sauce oil, but I tried the grease for the first time this year - I didn't like it at all. I had previously been using the Daiwa reel grease (blue stuff in the little accordian squeeze canister). When I ran out, I couldn't find it anywhere locally, so I bought the Hot Sauce grease. Very disappointing. It doesn't stay put, and the hotter it gets, the worse it runs. I also didn't like the squeeze tube it came in. Very hard to get it out of the tube once it gets less than half full. Anyone who has ever used the little Daiwa accordian looking squeeze canister can tell you how easy it is to use with one hand - even when the tube is almost empty. I recently found some more, and I'm back to using it. No more Hot Sauce grease for me. As for oil - Yellow Rocket Fuel is the only way to go.

All the best,

Glenn

Glenn, you had the same experience as me with the hot sauce grease. When its hot( and it dosent get THAT hot up here in NE) and the grease is running out of the little drain hole in the bottom of the reel its not a good thing. I also really like the blue diawa grease, its has the best dispenser ever. Like you i have had a heck of a time finding it over the last two or 3 years. Now i use a synthetic teflon one i found at dicks sporting goods that works great.

I'm suprised that so many of you are dis-satisfied with the Hot Sauce grease. I've used it and noticed no problem. I only use it on my worm gear however so maybe that's why I don't have an issue with it. I never go into a reel as far as the gears. I did one time and that was the end of that reel.:wacko: The lesson I learned from that experiance, besides do not take apart what you cannot reassemble, is there was plenty of grease on the gears that the manufactorer applied ...and it was an old reel.

I'm going to have to give the Reel Magic another try. I never got such a warm fuzzy from it before. The best use for it that I ever found was it was very helpful when I replaced the rubber bumper on the gunwales. I also have used it on the little plastic sliders on the gearshift in my Jeep.

Harpo

thanks guys,

i use the rem oil now and have never used the reel magic.Was Just curious about these.

Never heard of the rocket fuel, does bp sell it ?

Heading to Bass Pro in cincinnati saturday and will have to pick these up while i'm there and of course other things too.:D

Steve ><}}}}'>

Will comment later on Reel Magic - ordered a week back and should be subjected to field test within two.

Thanks Harpo, I used slick 50 grease in some older reels and really wasn't that happy with it...too thick and was looking for something thinner but like i noticed too that manufacturers put plenty of grease in them.

Steve

Soonerfan- That is one of the main places that I really didn't like it. On my Pflueger's, I put my left index finger under the front of the reel, right under the worm gear. When using the Daiwa grease, I never got any on me. Using the Hot Sauce, I thought I had somehow cut myself and was bleeding after the first time I used it. When I realized it was grease, I turned the reel over and it was almost dripping out of the worm gear. Going back to the blue Daiwa grease, I havn't had the problem since.

I tried several other types of grease after I couldn't find the Daiwa grease, but nothing really was made for reel use like that stuff. When the Hot Sauce came out, I was excited about another reel company having grease available, but I was very disappointed after using it.

As for the Rocket Fuel - I only use the yellow. The red is more designed for long distance casting competition - something I've never got into. It doesn't last long enough for tournament use, and has to be cleaned out and re-applied too often. At one point in time, I found a synthetic oil that I really liked - it was made for boat steering cables. Worked fantastic for two trips, but then I noticed my reels really slowed down dramaticly. When I took them apart, everything was gummed up and sticky. I learned quickly that you should use oil designed for that purpose. Gun oil is about the only suitable substitute for reel oil IMO, but most are too thin for my liking.

All the best,

Glenn

Latest posts

Back