Home Made Solution to Remove Scum Line

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard James

Reaction score
Anybody got a good home made brew for getting scum line off the bottom of your boat directly after pulling out of the water? I've been using a Purple Power/water solution, but you can't get that crap on anything but the fiberglass--or it will leave white spots. Not looking to buy anything pre-made--too expensive. Looking to make my own.

NJD

The key is to pre treat your hull. I use Bass Boat Saver and the scum line wipes right off. Coat it ahead of time, then use it as a cleaner when you pull out and you won't have a scumline problem. With my new rig, I just got done putting a coat of Meguiers premium wax on the everything and will now follow up with BBS every time I pull it out. Other than that, I use 50/50 white distilled vinegar and water for cleaning.

Meguiers Premium Flagship Wax is an awsome coating for gelcoat, I use it about once a month, probably overkill but it looks great. Bloody expensive here in Australia at $39.95 a bottle but we can't get BBS over here.

I use a wet rag. As long as you have good wax on it. Stuff wipes right off

Thanks for the advice everyone. However, I live in Florida and fish mainly rivers and the tannic water leaves an orange scum line. I was looking for something to spray on and hose off at the car wash. The Purple Power (diluted) worked great, but the white spots it leaves make me want to use something else. I've waxed the boat and the stain doesn't come off with just water. Need something else. The Bass Boat Saver looks like the trick. May try it...

NJD

Remember there is a difference between a scum line and a stained hull. I fished the St Johns for 2 years and had my boat on a lift. The producks that are made to clear up a stained hull are very strong and caustic. They will eat your trailer if you don't conver it. The Potomac puts down a pretty good scum line and BBS works well on it. Good luck and keep us posted.

Boat's new--it's a scum line. It comes off with the solution I use, but I don't like the solution. I t also comes off with a soapy brush. I'm just too damn lazy to use the brush. I'll try the BBS and see how it works. Thanks...

NJD

Latest posts

Back