Hey JR.......Camaro update..

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill McElroy

Reaction score
Sneak Peak: 2010 Camaro

The Detroit News

June 18, 2008

Set to start production next year, the Camaro sedan will start rolling down the line in Oshawa, Ont., in February 2009. General Motors Corp. hopes to sell about 75,000 Camaro sedans a year. The convertible model will follow several months later, with production starting in December 2009. Engine choices remain a mystery. A 3.0-liter V-6 and a 3.6-liter V-6 are possibilities. The quickest Camaro will pack the LS8. The LS8 is a 6.2-liter, supercharged, small block V-8. Count on it being good for at least 500 horsepower.

Didnt they just announce a closure to Oshawa two weeks ago?

Thanks Mac....My lease Is up In Feb.. I want a conv..I bought an old blazer to drive and I hope It will last till the conv comes out..they are sure to tack on the 3000.00 gas guzler tax cost around 50-55000 my guess...the charger Is 45,000...keep me updated I TRIED TO PRE ORDER BUT THEY WON'T LET ME.....They may have to lower It soem with the gas prices but I doubt It people are still buying 50,000 dollar boats....The travel trailer place is selling thheck out of travel trailers.....P.S. the computor will up that at least 100 HP and It only cost 100.00 to do It....Heee Yaaa

Are you sure it's really going to come out this time for 2010 ???? Looks like GM has had some issues keeping thier word on the Camaro. It's been comming out for the last 3 years with nothing in the showrooms. It's going to take some time to catch all the other retro re-make sales of Chrysler and Ford. And as far as no pre-orders, maybe they are not sure it will make the assembly line yet. Ford took mustang pre-orders and Dodge took Challenger pre-orders. What's up with GM ??:lol:

i hope its put together better than the 08 Z06.

if not it will never sell.

mike c

The Camaro has always been slated for production in 2009...that's never changed. The whole auto industry is in turmoil right now....muscle cars aren't selling...trucks and SUV's aren't selling and some new programs are being cancelled altogether...it's BAD!!I have never seen so many changes coming so fast in my entire career. Who knows what's gonna happen next month, let alone next spring!! If "HALF" of the rumors i've heard around here materialize, there's going to be a LOT more people unemployed all over the country very soon!!:eek::angry: I just got my 25 years in this joint (salaried) and I'm STILL NOT sure I'll see 30yrs!! This SUUUCKS!!:angry:

2010 Chevy Camaro Named Official Vehicle of SEMA Show

autoblog.com

By Drew Phillips

June 19, 2008

We are giving you the heads up now. Expect to see a fair share of Camaros when November rolls around and the automotive community turns its attention to Las Vegas for the annual SEMA Show. The 2010 Camaro was just named the Official Vehicle of the show, and we're guessing that General Motors will be using the opportunity to make it the most popular car in Vegas. The automaker is currently accepting proposals for project vehicles, and we're betting that everyone is scrambling to get their hands on a 2010 Camaro. With its LS-based V8 and retrotastic design, it won't take long for a plethora of aftermarket parts to become available. The real question left to answer is when will GM debut the production version of the Camaro? It clearly has to happen at or before the SEMA Show in November. Our bet is that the Camaro's debut will take place the week before the Woodward Dream Cruise in August.

GM Delays Truck Overhaul

The Detroit News

By Sharon Terlep

June 19, 2008

General Motors Corp. has indefinitely put off plans to re-engineer a next generation of full-size pickups and SUVs amid plummeting sales of large trucks, the automaker said Wednesday.

Instead of overhauling big trucks like the Chevrolet Silverado pickup and GMC Yukon SUV in a few years, GM will save money and resources by improving on the current models launched in 2007. Delaying a remodel of the trucks also gives GM time to factor in the effects of new federal fuel economy mandates.

GM could save $250 million to $300 million by putting off that makeover for just one year, said analyst Jim Hall of 2953 Analytics LLP in Birmingham.

The next generation of full-size trucks was scheduled to go into production in 2013, according to GM's labor contract with the United Auto Workers.

"We're going to focus on improving the current trucks until we see where the market goes," GM spokesman Tom Wilkinson said.

Sales of GM's full-size pickups were down 24 percent last month compared with a year ago as consumers grappled with the reality of $4-per-gallon gasoline. Large SUV sales fell 51 percent for the same time period.

Industrywide, passenger cars outsold light trucks in the United States this spring for the first time in two decades, a trend that's expected to stick around if not accelerate.

In response to the dramatic shift, GM last month announced plans to idle four North American truck factories as part of sweeping restructuring moves designed to move away from a traditionally truck-heavy portfolio. The automaker also is adding shifts at two car plants.

The move to delay a major truck redesign likely frees up money and engineering talent that cash-strapped GM can spend to develop more fuel-efficient vehicles such as cars and crossovers. A total redesign typically takes four years.

GM has said it needs more and better passenger cars for the U.S. market. But money to develop new vehicles is tight. The automaker, which hasn't turned a full-year profit since 2004, is burning cash, losing $3.3 billion in this year's first quarter alone.

Full-size trucks, because they come in so many configurations, are typically the most costly and complex vehicles to redesign.

Hall said the automaker could use its resources to build vehicles that are in greater demand increasingly by fuel-conscious consumers. GM is looking at everything from battery powered cars to high-tech gasoline engines to deliver more miles per gallon.

"By delaying, you're making more people available and now to these people will be working on more strategic programs," he said.

GM, he said, also likely wants to hold off on new trucks until next spring when requirements of new corporate average fuel economy, or CAFE, mandates are finalized.

"This is being done to better use their resources in this time between now and CAFE," Hall said.

GM faces stiff competition in the shrinking pickup segment. Ford Motor Co. and Chrysler LLC plan to launch new versions of the Ford F-150 and Dodge Ram pickups this year.

GM's Wilkinson said the automaker is confident that the existing trucks can compete with other companies' new models. Even without a total makeover of the platform, GM can change anything from the trucks' powertrains to the interiors.

"Our intention is to remain a leader in the segment," Wilkinson said.

Now,..what REALLY irritates the hell out of me with all of this BS?!...the TOP 5 Execs just split $40 mill in "bonuses"...WTF?!:angry:

(Side note: IF the new Ford F-150 and Ram's don't sell....they'll never re-coup the costs invested in their re-designs.....bad timing now to debut new guzzlers!) GM may actually be doing the right thing by delaying our new full size trucks....the downturn in market share and sales

Execs of big corps are what's killin' this country Mac.

Same with oil companies.....what's enough profit?

Seems no one knows:angry:

yep...agree 100%....it's ludicrous. Pay should be based on performance...like it is with all of us....if my performance was on par with there's...I would've been FIRED!!

All I know Is I want a Camero,This will be my last new car and I want a toy..I don't care about the price of gas I want all the HP I can get without building my own....I know It sounds nutz,But I have always bought big enough cars for the kids and friends Impala SS was as close as I could get with power.but the Camero Is by far the sharpest I have seen..They have a challenger here I don't really like It as much..Want the camero with the price..But If I have to I will end up with a pontiac G-6 Conv...do some computor work on It..Can't really get a discount on corvettes they are crazy,,cheap one 68,000.00 now thats nutz...JR

That Active Fuel Management really works. I get just about the same gas milage with my new Silverado with a 5.3 V-8 that I was in my old Jeep GC with a 4.0 six. Around 16.6 to 17 around town, long highway runs I get close to 20. That ain't bad for a vehicle of that size.

Are they using that same technology on high performance cars like Corvette and Camaro too?

don't think so....people that want those cars don't care about mileage..they want POWER!!

BTW--I just "tagged" a new silverado that will be available in Oct....5.3 V8 with the AFM.

I like my '07 truck so much I GOTTA have another one when this lease is up!

Latest posts

Back