Help!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard Ehlers (SevenPin)

Reaction score
I think I broke my steering wheel. It flexes real bad at the center on both sides of the wheel. It's on my 1999 Tracker ProTeam 185. Can it be replaced with an after-market wheel or do I need a "Tracker" OEM wheel? I haven't pulled the cover off yet to see how it's attached but I assume I'll need some kind of puller to ease it off the shaft.

Thanks.

Rick Ehlers (aka SevenPin)

Pop the cap and you'll see a large nut. Loosen it, do NOT take it completely off (top of nut even to top of shaft, you'll use it later). Rock the steering wheel while pulling on it to see if it'll work off the shaft. There's a cotter key like a half moon shape that is in a slot on the shaft and steering wheel. IF its really stubborn, spray liberal amounts of WD40 or other fluid that (name brands escape me at the moment) will break up rust, etc. Let it sit for 30 minutes then come at it again. If it still doesn't break free of the shaft (up to the nut), take a hammer (dead blow hammer is best) and rap the shaft/nut (nut to even the top of the shaft) a couple of times while you're pulling on the wheel with your knees and one hand.

Once the steering wheel pops up to the nut, you can then remove the nut and steering wheel but make SURE you don't lose the half moon shaped cotter key. Its likely to be stuck to the steering wheel housing or the shaft. Clean everything while you're inspecting the components and grease the steering wheel shaft including the cotter key (once its cleaned up).

Yes it can be replaced with an aftermarket steering wheel. Vast majority of them are tapered shafts and you'll know that as soon as you see yours. Getting the wheel (or new wheel) can be tricky as you'll have to align the slots with the cotter key in and its really easy to dislodge that key during assembly. Just be patient and in the case, grease will hold that key to some degree. You'll find that cocking the key downward (towards you) during reassembly will help that wheel slide on. Don't worry, it will level that key out to make good contact to make it turn.

Most wheels I've dealt with have 3 slots, so its easy to position it like you want it. Run into any problems, just holler.

Well, got the new steering wheel on Thursday and intalled it yesterday. I must have done something wrong -- I didn't have any problems. Used a little "persuation" on the bottom of the wheel shaft and the old wheel popped right off. Funny thing, the key never left the steering column. So I slid the new wheel over the key and tightened it up. Seems like everything is okay. I guess I'll find out when I get out on the water again.

Thanks.

Whenever I fix something I wait for the other shoe to fall. Still waiting for the air conditioner to start leaking again.
fatrap

I've got one in my boat too, and yeah sometimes it leaks. Only problem is I can't control the fan speed or when it leaks (called outdoor environment) LOL

Latest posts

Back