Help

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony Archer

Reaction score
I have a 1997 60hp Johnson. Yesterday after 5 mins out from ramp it sputtered and died. Got it fired back up fuel tank full then it started to rev up and down and sputtering. Squezzed the bulb didn't make a difference. Bulb stayed mostly firm. Checked the vent on tank and its open. I had this somewhat same problem on another motor at one time, ended up being the power pack. Could this be the same problem? At idle while reving up and down and sputtering if i try to give is throttle it boggs and dies. Also tried putting it in gear at idle and same thing. Should i start with the basic possible fule problems or figure the power pack again? Any help with ideas would be great!!!

Always start with fuel and fuel line. While uit acts like it is going to die...push in the key (like you are choking it) to see if it is "starved" for fuel. Next, try a tank (6gal if you can) of new gas and add double dose of SeaFoam... Look at plugs...

+1. Always start with the basics.....

I would also recommend draining the carbs, and purging the system with a known good fuel.

Ok fresh fuel purged the fuel system and drained the bowls. Checked the plugs they are malt brown with alittle black on them. Fired it up and still the same thing. revs up and down on its own while sputtering/missing. Tried to throttle up still boggs and dies. Still wondering about the power pack/ cdi box whatever its called??? :unsure: Any other ideas???

Time for a systems check....unless you have the correct meters and manuals, bring it in to a qualified Dealer.

Latest posts

Back