help

• Thread starter TROY WAINRIGHT3
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TROY WAINRIGHT3

Reaction score
hey guys,i know this issue has come up alot about line but how often do you change your line if you fish tournaments and what kind .ive been useing trilene xt and i think its 12lb that my curados will hold.ive been prefishing and we are into some big fish 6 to 11.4 and it seems like they twist the line up fast.thanx p.s mostly fishing pads.

Hi Troy,

I fish about 20 tourneys a year or so..... I change line on all my stuff at the beginning of the season and then once in the middle part of the summer... That is unless i'm having trouble with line on a reel, then it comes off that night. And I always peel several feet of used line off before each tournament so there are no knicks or dings near the knot from previous use... And when respooling, I use Reel Magic and spray the spool once in the middle and once when its full, help reduce memory. Most of my mono spools are 12# Stren ( clear blue ). But I do have a few braided setups and a few with heavier mono. I use mostly baitcasters but always keep spinning gear ready for lighter presentations.

Hope this helps you

Mike

Troy, If you think it needs changed, change it. Don't wait to lose a fish to wish you had. Thanks To Greg G, I change my line before every tx that involes money. It's one thing to break off a $4.00 crainkbait but it's another thing to lose a $10,000.00 fish..

I know everybody has there opinion but I had a free spool of Trilene XT and I think I paid to much for it. On the other side if you are having problems with line twist you can add a barrel swivel and a leader. The only other thing I can think of is when you spool your reel make sure the line goes on the reel like it comes off of the spool.

BF

General rule.....once a month. I will change out before a TX and fish it at least once before the tournament. It's a drag to find out you over/under spooled a rig during a tournament.

TOXIC

Others have heard me say this before....

Between you and the "fish".... 1) Priority number one, a sharp hook... if you don't keep your hooks sharp... go home, you aren't fishing, you are just throwing junk into the water and reeling it back in... 2) Priority number two... the knot... I tie and glue every knot... Most are Palomar or a uni knot.... 3) Priority number three... the line... FRESH... and laid on properly (let it out behind the boat and reel it in... (This is a big job for a walleye guy with 30 trolling rods/reels and 25 or so other rods)... 4) Priority number four is the rod... And, 50 the reel.

If you are willing to spend $$$$ on rods and reels and skimp on line you ahve your priorities misplaced.

Latest posts

Back