Help with HB data export!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cris Ratzlaff

Reaction score
Ok here is the deal.... I wanted to export my nav. data from my 958 HB DI to my computer (to My HumminbirdPC, and Contour Elite) so I went to the Nav. menu and selected all my waypoints and exported them. I noticed right off that it only took a millisecond to say it had exported the data. I don't have just a lot of waypoints and routes but it seemed like it should take a little longer. So I come in and put the SD card in the computer and first look at what is on my card and there is nothing on it. Well I guess I shouldn't say there is nothing on it.... it comes up with a Matrix folder that was modified back in 2010???? In the Matrix folder there is a HWR data file that says it has 2 KB in it. When I go to HumminbirdPC and try to unload the data it comes up with an error and will not unload anything (but I don't think it is getting loaded on the card in the first place). What am I missing??? I reformatted the card. I tried a different card. What else can I do? The boat is parked in the shed so it was not getting GPS signal when I tried to unload the data. Does that make a difference?

Cris,
The DATA.HWR file is what contains all your waypoint and route data. They are not big files at all. I just looked at two different DATA.HWR files that I have and one had 97 waypoints and was 3KB in size while the second one had 2,500 waypoints and was a 99KB file. So don’t let the file size fool you.
What brand and size memory cards have you tried?
When you formatted the memory card, did you do a quick format (default setting for most formatters) or did you do a full format? I recommend a full format using the HumminbirdPC program. You will have to select the SD card icon and do a right click to see the format feature.

Ok.... Thanks for the suggestions! I will try this and see if I can get anywhere.

Ok... This is what I did... I reformatted the card. I put the latest software version on. It seems to export fine (although it seems it just take a split second). My problem is getting it to download to Humminbird PC. It comes up with a "Download Data Error" and will NOT go past 26% on the download progress bar. When I look at what is on the SD card after the export from the unit, it has a Matrix folder that has three files in it. 1. DATA.HIT 2. DATA.HWR 3. SD_140331d.gpx Any help would be appreciated!!! Thanks!

Cris,
What version of HumminbirdPC are you running? If you are not running the latest version (4.3.8) try installing that and having another go at it.

Where did the SD_140331d.gpx file come from? That looks like a HumminbirdPC file name from yesterday, fourth try too.

I am running 4.3.8 The file SD_140331d.gpx come from the export yesterday evening. The date modified is the same as when I exported to the SD card. The other files say they were modified 1/20/2010 at 12:15 AM??????? What is going on?

Cris,
I’m not sure what is going on. The unit is not capable of exporting a *.gpx file but HumminbirdPC is. HumminbirdPC should not be sending a *.gpx file to the SD card unless you told it to. So I don't know how the *.gpx file got there.
The 2010 date is because you exported the data from your 958c DI unit when it was not tracking satellites. 2010 is the default date that it uses for this, so this is not a problem.

I’m thinking that you may have some corrupt data (Waypoint or Track) that is causing this. You can try and open the DATA.HWR file in another program and see if there are any obvious errors (like a waypoint made on the 1960’s) or send the file to me and I will try and look at it when I am at home.

Ok.... I tried exporting to Contour Elite and that worked fine.:) So I went and uninstalled Humminbird PC and re installed it, but still the same thing. I tried formatting a different card.... still didn't work. How do I send you the HRW file? When I try to upload it on here I get this error that the "uploaded file does not have an allowed extension". I thought if you could look at the file, maybe it would help. I don't know what program to use to "look" inside the HRW file (besides HumminbirdPC, which doesn't work). Any suggestions? Thanks alot for all the help so far!!!

Cris

Sorry I didn't get back with you sooner..... I had too many other things going to get around to working on this. What I found out was I had put in 2 routes and 1 way point from Contour Elite. So when I exported, they were on the card, but when I tried to download them to Humminbird PC that is where I ran into trouble. I deleted the 2 routes and the 1 way point and it worked perfectly!!!!:) Thanks for all your help! I don't think I could have done it without you.;)

Cris

Latest posts

Back