HELP - Reel won't re-engage after pushing button...

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrepMan

Reaction score
Gang - Reel is a Pro Qualifier1000XPS. Last weekend after a nice long cast the reel would not engage. In otherwords I pushed the button, casted and cranked the handle and it never locked in to turn the spool. I've been spending the afternoon taking this $100 reel apart (probably not a good idea, but it was free with the boat so i've got nothing to loose). i've actually been able to put it all back together but it still does not engage. I can not see any parts missing/broken.

Any reel experts out there? If not anyone know of a good reel repair shop in north atlanta?? I figure worse case I can take it back to BPS to see what they charge to fix it.

Thanks - TrepMan

TrepMan, You sure you didn't hear a "ker-plop" up close to the boat after that nice long cast? LOL Don't know anything that could help you 'cept I've got a bunch of reel parts that you can have from where I've taken some of mine apart. Shoot I'll even send the drawer with them, that way you'll have someplace to store 'em. 'Course they never work after I get done wth them. I always have parts left over and you know what they say about parts????. Good luck.

Not sure what caused your problem but try this. Take the side plate off the reel on the side of the cranking handle. Push the casting bar up into place and re-assemble the reel. Does the casting bar then stay in place and work correctly?

If it's less than a year old, you should be able to take it to BPS and exchange it...good luck

Trepman, I had a reel that did the same thing, what it ended up being was I needed a spacer(shim)under the baitcaster reel. Once the dealer gave me the spacer the reel worked fine.

Stop by the Duluth store on a Friday and I'll take a look at it. I'm sure we can get you fixed up.

Dan - Thanks a BUNCH!!, don't know if I can make it Friday, what other days next week or this weekend will you be in? I'd really appreciate it.

TrepMan

Hey Trep,

More great service from BPS !!!

Please post in the Dealer Report Card section....Thanx

Trepman- I'm there 'til 5p.m. You can't miss me, at my size even the blind can find me! LOL We'll have you fixed up and back at 'em in minutes. I could be anywhere in the complex, so don't think twice about having me paged when you get there. See you then.

Thanks Dan, you can miss me (though not as short as Scott, but probably weigh the same) i'm about 6 feet, 125 soaking wet, will have one or both of my boys in tow (or vice-versa LOL) 4 and 21 months.

Thanks and see ya by 5pm on Friday.

Trep

Trepman, last time I was at BPS on a Friday, I had Zachary in tow. There was a ice cream/cotton candy truck in the parking lot. Don't know if it's a regular thing, but if it is, don't pass it up. Zachary and I agreed that they can fluff sugar in that truck with the best of 'em. Bring handi-wipes along, and definitely get the cotton AFTER you are leaving the store (otherwise hard to explain to Dan why the reel is stuck to your hand).

Rich - That truck's been there for years, we usually end up with Hotdogs and chips for lunch everytime. Luckly Noah does not have a sweet tooth like mine, so we usualy skip the cotton candy.

Heading over in a few (lunch time) with Noah, later!

TrepMan

Latest posts

Back