Help buying spinning equipment

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barry Loos

Reaction score
I need some help with purchasing spinning equipment or what us old-timers in KY affectionately call

Looks like BPS has just what you need. It's a Daiwa Jupiter Z-T Spinning Combo. They have 4 models to choose from. The one that seems right is the 12-982-900-04 (6'6" rod)or the 12-982-900-06 (7'rod) I noticed it has a feature called "Twist Buster" (whatever that is). It sells for $29.99 (without the KVD mask).

Russ

One of the most important issues when using spinning rigs isn't the gear itself, it's the line.

The loops you're getting are probably caused by line that has alot of memory. You want a very limp line with a smaller diameter.

I use P-LINE in 10-12lb on my spinning rigs (stay away from 8lb.-breaks easy because of manufacturing defect.)

Also, make sure your spinning reels are on spinning rods...it might sound elementary, but I see alot of guys with spinning reels on baitcasting rods!!!

Mac,

Any input here on specific equipment???

For me, P-Line has too much memory no matter what weight you use. I prefer Trilene, Stren or Ande. Also, the snaffu's you're getting could be caused by putting too much line on the spool and/or putting the line on too tight. You'll have to experiment with these factors to get it right with the reel you choose. I have some Shamano spinning reels that don't spin the line too bad, but even with these reels, you'll have to streighten the line after a few outings. Either take all the weight off the line and spool it out of your boat using the water to pull the loops out or you can open the bail and pull line off (usually no more than 30 or 40 yds) and walk the length of the line from the rod tip to the end running the line thru your fingers to take the loops out. Light line is the key for spinning reels, compair line diameters and stretch. 12 pound P-Line has roughly the same diameter as 10 pound Stren. I wouldn't go any heavier than 8 or 10 pound line in anything other than P-Line, with them I'd use 6 or 8 pound at the heaviest.

Parrotth3ad

"... A two tone Ricky Riccardo jacket and an autographed picture of Andy Devine..."

Parrot,

I like the Trilene XL also....but the areas we fish here in MI. are often rocky or infested with Zebra Mussels and the abrasion resistance seems to be far superior on P-LINE.

Once again, stay away from 8lb P-LINE this year...major problems with line strength.

What sold me on this line was a day of fishing on St. Clair with one of my Team members, Tom Sokolowski. First fish was a 12lb northern that turned 4 or 5 times across this line, we then went on to catch over 20 smallies 2-4lbs. and finished up with a 22lb muskie on the same 10lb P-LINE we started with...not a single break off all day...needless to say I was very impressed and have used it almost exclusively since then.

My preference for spinning reels is Spiderline Fusion (it's the thermal stuff, not the braid). It's very limp and even if you do manage to get a lot of twist in the line, it still resists kinking and looping. And it's tough. I use the 10lb/6lb diameter on an Abu Cardinal spinning reel.

If I am using mono on a spinning reel, I prefer to go to BPS to get the reel spooled up. They do a better job than I can. The line seems to be more resistant to looping when they spin it on with their equipment.

I've had great luck with the BPS Pro Qualifier XPS 30F (front drag) Spinning Reel and a 6'6" Med/Hvy XPS Series Spinning Rod. The reel is a six ball bearing, titanium lipped, spinning reel with a very smooth line roller bearing and a rapid 6.2:1 retrieve for quick hook punching. This reel virtually eliminates line twists when using limp line. The rod is an IM8 graphite blank with Fuji guides and a Fuji reel seat on a Portugese stacked cork base. It also has a screw off rod butt to incorporate a balance system that will take all tip heaviness out of the outfit. It makes worming, grubbing, and rigging sweet! With the weight relieved from the balance butt, the tip action and sensitivity is what you could expect from an outfit twice or three times the amount. The rod is identical to a Bionic Blade, just a different color (black). The outfit sells for about $80 and the balance kit is about $10.

I have had very good luck with the BPS Excel line in both tourney use and guide trips. It is very strong and limp, made by a national manufacturer and private labeled for BPS. It comes in clear, clr. blu., and lo-vis grn. (My favorite.) I've used everything from 6# to 25# on Lake Ontario, Lanier, and various other clear water impoundments with good success and several checks cashed because of it. The best part is that you get at least three times as much for the same money as the name brand. Abrasion resistance is high and knot strength is as good as any. It's a high quality line at an extemely affordable price. Just my opinion.

Darn, now I have to go to BPS tonight. I just made a copy of your responses and I'll take it with me tonight. Thanks a lot. You guys are very helpful. Who knows I may even find a KVD mask or even a Ricky Ricardo fishing jacket.

Dito with what Dan said. BPS had a special on them and I bought 2. Super sensitive rod, and the real is very smooth. Quality of a $200 rig at an $80 value, can't beat it! And my rods get a LOT of use as a guide. Holding up better than some pinnacles or quantums. Only thing better is Daiwa in my opinion.

Rob

Ditto again what Dan said, I've got 2 of those combos and they're a great value....

Barry,

Take it from a N.Ca. Tourney angler!!! we use these sissy rods all the time. For a decent price and a credible product, I reccomend a Shimano cpsx60Mh Rod in the Compre

coupled with a Shimano Symetre 1000 or 2000 series Reel

Ya cannot go wrong here!!!! We sissy fish all the time in our clear water compounds in CA. Good for darthead, dropshot

mo-tex or shakin brass-n-glass.

Mark

I probably use spinning equipment more than all you hillbillies combined! Trout, don'tcha know.........

The equipment I was using in April to boat the ONLY bass Rich and I took:

Shimano Stimula SI66MHA.

Shimano Spirex 1000. (Front drag)

Trilene Clear 8#.

Very good, mediu-priced equipment.

me!

Sorry, not Trilene....... I use Stren. Either clear or florscent blue.

me!

With regards to line, I have to say, I experiment a LOT trying to get the edge, and WAS a diehard berkley fan until I tried Stren Sensor. That stuff is some of the best finesse line for spinning rigs ever! Super sensitive and strong, honestly not the most abrasion resistant though. Use it only in open water. Great for clear water. When it comes to tough stuff though, still gotta tote the ole Berkley XT and Fireline. There is a time and place for all gear! If you try to be a tough guy and stick with only one kind of pattern, gear, rig, whatever, then you'll only be effective half of the time! The best pros are the most versatile! Ask Vandam

Rob

I use 2 spinning reels constantly in T fishing

1. BPS extreme 40 read drag with 10 basspro or easycast mono

2. Shimano stradic FG200 w/ 8# easycast.

The 200 shimano is a great reel but suffers from excessive twisting. This is not the reels fault but the fact that i bought a small reel. See that I also have a bass pro metal 40 read deadbolt dnf40. Due to the large spool diameter I have abot 90% less line twisting and loop problems. With the shimano I need to apply Blakemores line conditioner to keep the loops and twisting manageble. I still have to drag the line behind the boat every time out to keep it usable or change it every other trip. Moral By the big reel! and most of the problems will go away. BTW Spinning is better for worm fishing since you have increased sensitivity and the fact that the line drops straight down at your target. By nature, bait casting reels cause the bait to pendulum away from the target as they fall unless your real good at feeding line. BTW Woo daves one of the best shallow water worm fishermen uses spinng for his texas rigged worm

Got to agree with Rob. Over the years have tried about everything out there. Still need different lines for different purposes. I like the Stren Sensor, but for heavy cover I like the Berkley Big Game. For open water Stren Megathin is real good. Another good all around line is Silver Thread. I just spooled up some P Line to give it a try. BTW, all on baitcasters.

Russ

What you say, Rapala makes lures not fishing line, not so grasshopper. Was at Wallyworld last Sunday AM after a really bad birdsnest on a baitcast reel and decided to respool my reels before heading back out. Being fiscally minded (per my wife's instructions) I was going to get my usual Stren easycast (which has not broken on me in 5 years of use (not one spool but different spools over time) and saw this Rapala line on sale ($4.95 for 400 yards of 10lb vs. Stren at $7.85 for 300 yards), thought what the heck - save some bucks and I don't fish t's so no biggie. WRONG.

With out going into detail let's say I lost 2 brand new (funny enough Rapala) lures to broken lines when casting the next day. My wife (who is not a fisherwoman yet) said "what do you expect from a lure manufacture, this way if you loose more lures due to broken line you have to buy more of both!".

Well - back to Wallyworld tonite to get more Stren as i'm taking my boss and his son out on Friday and don't want to loose any lures or fish!

TrepMan

Don't you just hate it when your wife is right..... SHEEEEESH..... What's next, she boats the kicker fish and gets you in the money after you have to beg her to fish with you....

Parrotth3ad

"... my drinks are too fruitiful..... "

Latest posts

Back