Hazy Daze

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Hammer TOXIC

Reaction score
Ok, so I've read EVERY post on this board and on this subject and I still have some questions. Let me give you some background. My partner is on the Nitro State Team and has the boat deal so he gets a new rig every year or 2. I, on the other hand am on the waiting list for the state team and therefore get to buy my partners hand-me-down boat. Now on to the problem, my partner fishes the CRAP out of his boats and because he turns them over, he is somewhat lax in the appearance catagory ("somewhat" my A_ _, it's NEVER been washed or waxed). He is a perfectionist on the mechanical side though. My boat is the gold/silver/black combo with the black interior (never again!!). I have what I would call "Moderate" hazing of the topcap. I have been at it all week finally resorting to a buffer and Meguires #9 rubbing compound (it is working). I first tried the 303 that a lot of people raved about ($17.00 per bottle) and found that not only did it not work (for removing ANY of the oxidation), it didn't even work on the console and dash. Stuff is worthless IMHO (high priced ArmorAll). I know Mothers "Back to Black" will work, I just haven't gotten it out yet. I am very, very close to getting the top cap where I want it (all buffed out) but what do I use to "Seal" it up? I know that if I don't the haze will reappear. What is the difference between Marine wax and car wax (both carnuba)? I need some help on what really works!! And I need to get some small things that I have no idea where to start (Ken?), like the "X" on both sides on the CDX rubber stickers, like the inserts that go in the drain holes under the deck lids on the livewells. Gimme a hand here guys. If I showed up at the rally with it looking like it does now, y'all woud get me custom fit pair of cement waders and put my boat into "foster care".

TOXIC

Real easy Toxic - Buy a Tracker Aluminium!! Never need that much work or polish!!

Toxic,

Call Craig at 248-33-0997, tell him you're from the Nitro board and Ken sent you and you'll get a discount on any parts you need.

Go Away Trep!! EVERYBODY knows that the glitter in the glass boats attract fish, ask Scott!! Besides I've fished my fair share of time in those oversized ice cube trays (before tupperware) and love 'em to death but when guiding, ya gotta have some glitz AND be able to stay a Loooooong way away from amatures and crankbaits!!

TOXIC (with a Frequent Stay card at the ER)

Sorry...248-333-0997

I still need work on my numbers...

one, two, three, four, fff..ffff...ffff...fi...fififi...five!!!

That's it, you can do it Ken, we have faith in you! Now, it might be a little tougher to count fishies, as they tend to move a little in the livewell, but what you do is as you count them, move them from one side of the livewell to the other, so you don't lose track ok??? Kenny??? Now, I have to go pack your Scooby Doo lunch pail and get you ready for worky worky! And don't make me put you and Mac in seperate corners again! Play nice and sell some boats!

"EVERYBODY knows that the glitter in the glass boats attract fish"

Yup! Just ask Ken....

"Dem bassus LUV sparkles!" (c)

(Especially when you say it in your best "Tigger" impersonation!)

toxic - ya got ripped ont he $17 a bottle for the 303. I pay $12 a bottle and am probably payin too much also. I've had great luck with the 303 on everything - seats, dash, and especially them sparkles on the glass - even the trolling motor mount. One tip is ya need a clean surface and you can't let the stuff dry before you wipe it off. I don't know if anything will completely work on an oxidized surface for very long. let us know how it turns out and good luck.

james d.

You guys make think I'm nuts, but try a product called Gel Gloss. It's mainly used for bathrooms shower stalls and vanity's to clean and shine the gel coat that is on those surfaces. I use to "sell" this stuff retail and the customers loved it. You can use it on the gel coat of a boat too!!!

If anyone tries it, put up some input, I've never used it on a boat yet.

james,

I was goin by the claims on their website and as usual "if it sounds to good to be true, it usually is" this "Effortless" miracle liquid BS had me thinkin and I usually don't bite buuuuut I had just sweat off about 6lbs hand rubbing and I was not getting where I wanted to go. Then I remembered I had the buffer in a box in the garage. I originally tried it on my black jeep and it was a disaster so I put it up and swore I would never touch it again (once again, never is a long time!) The buffer is, I think, the only real way to get it done but I still want to know the dif between marine and regular wax!! I would love to use "mothers" wax products as long as it's not gonna yellow or do something totally unexpected. What do you guys use to KEEP the shine on. Thanks millions for the # Ken. I'm still taking inventory on what I need. BPS, Your one stop shop!!

TOXIC (rubbin one out!! LOLOLOL)

toxic,

i don't think the 303 will remove the oxidation at all but will protect an already good surface from the uv rays. anyways if you have buffed it down and got the oxidation off i also would think that you need to "seal" it real quick before it comes back. I think the real answer (probably expensive) would be a clear coat to seal in all of that deep good color. I don't think the gelcoat on boats works out like it does on automotive paint. As far as the waxes go, you want to make absolutely sure that there are no "abrasives" included as a lot of automotive waxes have this. 99% pure carnuba wax is good. you might want to get a hold of a reputable car "detail" shop as I once got some liquid carnuba wax which was good stuff. You could wipe off bug juice off a chrome fender that had baked on in 100 deg. heat for 2 weeks. This is one of the issues why I use the 303 to protect the clear coat from the uv, cause once it is gone, it is gone. Also, waxes won't totally "seal" in the finish and the oxidation will return somewhat and you'll have to buff out again. I had that happen to me on my first boat which I left out all the time. I don't know for sure, but you might have better luck sealing it up with a product like "nu-finish" in the orange bottle and then maybe a week or two later, put a good coat of wax on and keep it waxed every couple of weeks. I've never used nu finish on a boat so only do this at your own risk. Your probably ok with the mothers products, just check for abrasives as you don't want to put little fine scratches in it. sorry you are having to go thru all of this. good luck.

james d.

Yeah I think James is right, the main difference between car wax and boat wax is the abrasiveness, boat wax having more usually. I've never tried the 303, as I had heard it's best for vinyl, and I use the 3M stuff on my vinyl, it works like a CHAMP!!

Hey James, I have used Nu-Finish quite a bit on my truck. Is it supposed to "seal"? If so, it really might be a good option for fighting off the sparkle loss.

On a related note, what do you guys use to clean your carpet?

Dang maybe I should get me one of those things!.....hmmmm, nah, I'll just keep practicing for now.

No carpet shampoo or anything?

At the end of the season I usually rent one of those steam cleaners, the red ones, at Sears and do the carpet. Other than that, just vaccum it regularly and if I get a bad stain (blood) I put some liquid laundry detergent (spot remover) on it overnight and clean it the next morning. This is also why I would never get light colored carpet, dark grey hides many a nasty spots.

Uh MO, hate to break it to you MR. "EVERYBODY knows that the glitter in the glass boats attract fish" but your TV-18 is ALUMINIUM!!!

Tin Rocks!

Oh yeah, so why then do the soft plastic companies put glitter in their baits and not little pieces of tin???? Huh mister smarty pants? Bassus luv sparkles! (c) a trademark of the Neeley for president foundation.

sparkles and glitter dem basses sure luv

But tin boats snucked up on 'em with stealth from above!

tin don't snuck up on nuthin. You can hear dem rivets just a rattlin and the water slappin tin for miles away. Glass, is the da only way ta go!

ODE TO SUMMER BASSUS

Mylar, aluminum,

diamonds or flakes

what are dose sparkles

dat Tracker Marine makes?

Dey glitter and shine

Dey call fish far and near

"Hey, you dum basses,

Yeah come over HERE!"

So a big fish comes swimmin'

with a frown on his face

To look at dem sparkles

Up in outer space

And just den he sees

sometin big, fat and smelly

it looks oh so tasty

(cause its dipped in bass jelly)

Wit a slurp and a turn

He heads back for home

But all of a sudden

(and here's da end of my tome)

His jaw is a hurtin'

His big eyes go crossed

And though he fights and he jumps

In da livewell he's tossed

Rivets? What rivets?

It's a TV-18!

I don't see no stinkin' rivets!

Not to stop you boys from kicking dirt on each other but back to MY thread and how to get the witch back in all of her glory---"Boat wax has more abrasives"?? or did you mean less Steve? Abraisves shouldn't be an issue, IM USING RUBBING COMPOUND and a buffer for cryin out loud. Here's what I'm gonna do and I dare any of you knuckle heads to stop me---I'm gonna finish buffing her out then I'm gonna sear her with some maguires (by the way, I understand that car clearcoat is softer than gelcoat), then I'm a gonna wax her with some mothers pure carnuba. I'll let you know how it turnes out. Hold on, I think I just put down my wife's day at the healthspa--------Boy am I glad she doesn't know about this board!!

TOXIC

Toxic: Would it help to talk to a Chevy dealer or an autobody shop about how they restore faded finishes on Corvettes? Just brainstormin'.

Toxic , even though tat 303 is high priced that's what I use on all my vinyl,plastic and rubber in the boat . My dealer gave a little seminar at one of our club meeting and that is what he recommended. Never use armor-all as is strips the UV protectant out of the vinyl making it hard and brittle . Which makes since on my first Nitro I used armor-all and other car type products and I had tears n some of the seats after half a season. As far as the hull use the best baot wax you can get if the hull is faded there are some products from a company called protec which claims to restore faded hulls.I picked up a few of their products ,But I havn't had a chance to use them. Also another product which I use is "Bass Boat" CLean & Shine which is made by Kick'Bass it also not bad stuff

I use Gel Gloss and the boat looks sweet! Just ask Ken.

Gene

Sorry Toxic, the reason I haven't touched your other post is that I simply don't know. My boat is faded bad and I just have learned to live with it. I did use Mothers rubbing compound and a buffer myself, but my boat was so bad, it didn't matter. I just try to cover it to keep it from worsening. Now go fish!

Oh Rob you don't understand I am beyond anal on this kinda stuff I am probably borderline OCB (obsessive compulsive behavior, ha, ha). I wax the engine compartment on my jeep. I just CAN'T let the witch sit like that. I will find a product that works and will let you know what it is. If it were beyond repair I would live with it but I think I can stop it before it gets to that point. It's only a 2000. Besides, if my partner makes the National Nitro Team, I jump up to a State spot, I'm gonna have to sell her and I NEED to get my $$$ back.

TOXIC (the quest continues)

And Don Quixote rides his white stallion off into the horizon in search of dragons to joust!

:^) !

MOFish, it should actually be "rides his slightly faded NITRO in the horizon" besides, I'd rather fight the windmill.

TOXIC

Just joshin' Toxic. Rob didn't seem to leave out much hope, and you seem so determined. Oh, and about being anal? I have a detailed boating checklist that I posted, and someone accused me of being anal. About some thing, you bet I'm particular!

I hope you DO solve your hazing/fading problem because there are folks out there who would love to know how you did it!

MOFish,

I know you are just ribbin' me. I will solve the problem. I'm glad to know there are others out there like me. Looks like I joined the right support group. One side of the boat is worse than the other. I tackled the "easy" side first and I did prevail!! It looks real good. I just assumed that there might be an easier way with technology the way it is. I'm not shy, if it doesn't work it goes back!! I will be spending a lot of time trying products until I find the "cure" and then I will post it. So far, the cure is a product avaliable everywhere----elbow grease.

TOXIC

Latest posts

Back