Hard Swim baits - Who uses them?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TritonGlenn

Reaction score
Highly interested in getting some Tru-Tungsten swimbaits. However, I'm kinda torn, because I really want the silver tilapia color in a 5", and they only offer it in the larger versions. I know I should just take a chance and fish that big ol' monster bait, but I've never used something that large.

How about other brands? SPRO? Strike King? Others? Anyone see a good silver tilapia color in a hard swimbait?

Break - slight change of subject...

Anyone see a silver tilapia color in a SOFT swimbait either?

All the best,

Glenn

Glenn I have never used the Tru-Tungsten series baits but I have used the Strike King in rainbow trout color on Dale Hollow when they released trout for the smallies to feed on. I have to tell you boy oh boy they wore that bait out! I was worried throwing something that size but it made no difference they tore it up. The only other hard swim I used with good success was the Sebille at Guntersville with the same results. When the bait fish were schooling tossed that bad boy out there and held on! That thing has to be 6 or 7" long so I guess the size doesn't matter (no punn intended :D) as long as you match the hatch they are gonna bust it.

i have used the spro bbz 8 inch in trout and MS Slammer 9 inch. This fish on the slammer

sanjustoswimmer.jpg

this one on the spro

daryls925.jpg

SPRO BBZ, Strike King Shad, King Kong....Havent tried a TT one yet. I will get a couple to play with.

I have caught smallmouth, muskie and pike on them. Not enough to keep buying them at the prices they cost. I had too many failures (hinge) on the Strike King ones to even think about using them again.

I am liking the soft baits too.

Dragon...get yourself some of the Spro Little John crankbaits for those Dale Hollow SM:cool: They also love them Flukes;)

Haven't experimented with the hard SB's but, have had good success with the Money Minnow...especially using a Carolina rig and drifting of all things.

Hey Tee

I have and use them all over they rock! Just got a couple of the deep divers can't wait to try them babies too!

The lil' Johns are the BOMB for SM & LM but, really shine for brownies!

I've caught three this summer at my local "walleye" lake over 4 lbs and one 5:cool:

Cell Mate color and the red work very well at DH;)

I'm already making plans for the March/April timeframe.....maybe we can hook up.

I'm always ready let me know!!!!!! Sorry for the hijack Glenn but you can come too!

I would recomend everyone investing in a few Sebile Magic Swimmers. (125mm in particular) We were off the water at noon yesterday with our limit in Albino Racing Carp (Stripers), two each over 22", four total for the two of us between 9-15lbs. Over the past few years I've caught a variety of fresh and saltwater fish on these baits in GA and FL. It swims like no other lipless swimbait and the profile is deadly. (I've been trying the soft swimmers since shortly after ICAST, but am still favoring the hard version MUCH more.) ;)

I'll second the "Spro Little John crankbaits ", thanks to Mac, Eli has a few and occationaly lets me borrow them, some of my biggest Spotted Bass this last year were on the Lil' Johns, now i need to hit BPS with my gift cards and get a few of my own!! LOL

I have 2 of the SPRO hard baits, have caught a few small/dinks, and 1 decent fish on them, but like anything I need to throw them more to see if they work for me. I have a tendancy to go to my strengths (what little in fishing i have!! LOL) which is Shakeyheads, Flexit Spoons and shallow cranks.

Thing is they really match the hatch of the SM at DH...threadfin and alewive is predominat forage there and it matches it perfectly.

Dan...how deep will the swimmer run? Length?

The 125 is a slow sink. The past two years on my Canada trip I've hammered some toad smallies on the 95 in silver shiner and perch. (The 125 just seems to be a pike magnet!! Uugh!) The 95(mm) is about 3 3/4" and the 125 is about 5" long. Depending on where they are feeding in the water column (or how clear the water) I'll chunk it out and reel it back at a steady pace. It (125) drops at about 1' per 2 seconds while the 95 drops a hair quicker. (Dependant on line type and size.) I throw the 125 on 15# flouro and the 95 on 10# flouro. It's great for someone not into fishing as much, also. It literally is a chunk and wind bait that can't really get messed up by performance. Slow and steady handles 90% of the presentations needed. It swims most naturally of swimbaits it's size without need of a lip and an authentic sillouhette.

Thanks to everyone that responded. Today I made a trip to BPS to spend a little money off of a gift card. I bought:

Tru-Tungsten Silver Talapia in a 7" version

Sebile Swimmer 125's in "D9" color - Halo Greenie

SPRO Little John DD in Cell Mate color

DD22's in a color called "Slick"

I plan to paint some faded "Talapia stripes" on the Cell Mate and Slick colored crankbaits. I'm going to leave the Sebile Swimmers alone for now. They look good as is. I only bought one of those expensive TT baits. Wow. That's steep. I thought $25 for my special order wooden cranks were expensive. I could have bought two of those for the price of this one!

Thanks for the input. I appreciate it. I particularly liked the warning about the Strike King lures. I avoided those.

All the best,

Glenn

Oh yeah - 8 pegs for BBZ's, and not a single one in stock. I'll probably have to order that one.

All the best,

Glenn

I saw Roland Martin using the BBZs on a lake in Utah on his program yesterday. They were getting bit about every cast by largemouths. One was a shad color and the other blue back with silver belly. I didn't here what that color was called. They had even called the President of Spro trying to get some to try and he couldn't come up with any. They got these two from a friend of the guide.