Guide Icing Reduction?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berry Lindley

Reaction score
Well it's cold now in TN and us really afflicted folks gotta go you know. Anyone have any tricks on keeping the icing down on their rods? I pretty much ruined a new spool of line last night. I've played around with the ice-off paste and it works for a short while, but any tips you all have would be good to know about.

A spray bottle with cheap rubbing alcohol can be your best friend in this weather. A spritz every now and then will shed water from the rings and it takes a lot colder weather to freeze it up. ;)

I have used WD40. Just keep spraying it on and it works pretty well.

Randy!

I'm with Randy.I've used WD before.You can just stick your rod in the water,too.

Get the new Fuji heated guides. :lol:

I've used Blakemores Reel Magic in the past with limited success on guides. Worked "ok" in Virgina winters.

All the best,

Glenn

they to sponsor me, but KVD Line and Lure also helps with icing issues a bit.

Reel Magic for this southern fisherman, only had to use it a few times, and NO I didn't go out today when the low was 20 and the high was 32, though I was TEMPTED!!

I tried the reel magic, it was decent. After it got down to about 20 (after sundown) it was freezing pretty fast. Moving to mono from braid did quite a bit to reduce it as the braid picks up more water. I'm going to try that alcohol trick and see how it does. And yes I'm crazy, but I love those walleye and sauger........ Good thing is we can do this without putting the boat in right now. I am drawing the line and not going in the AM, it's supposed to be around 10 so I'm going to pass....

We have the same issue here in VA during the winter months. My reduction method is=

Move further SOUTH!!!!!!

And I'm working on that....:lol::lol::lol:

Glenn, believe it or not there is a sauger fishing guide over here that has a 12V plug on his heated rod handles so his customers' hands stay toasty, I guess heated guides are next??!!

Mikesxpress has the right idea but I'm about 10 yrs from being able to do that.

Berry - I've done the WD40 also and it does work, too. It'll also eat the backing off your carpet and start leaving puckers on your deck floor. Peter T. showed me the Isopropyl trick. It's 88 cents a bottle around here and a bottle has lasted me a couple winters. Smells like you're fishing in a Dr.'s office, but it seems to work without the collateral damage to worry about. ;)

FWIW - Reel Magic, KVD Line Conditioner, and most liquid scents will do the same as WD40 to your carpet adhesive/decals. Just an FYI.

we used to use vaseline in the old days when I winter fished.

Mini, you sure you used it for fishing??? :lol:

I'm getting older and wiser, I don't go unless the guides do not ice up. I do admire you folks that go out in all kinds of weather though.

I'll have to give vaseline and WD a try.

Last weekend it was alittle cool fishing with the temp at 5*.

An old timer once told me -- he had used WD-40 on his plastic.

Spray alitte on each time you drop the lure>

--Caught more fish then anyone else that time.???

This weekend -15*;)

Rick

Haledamage wrote:

An old timer once told me -- he had used WD-40 on his plastic.

Spray alitte on each time you drop the lure>

--Caught more fish then anyone else that time.???

I've had old timers tell me that too. That was probably when WD-40 was still made with a fish oil base, it is now all pertoleum based.

Scott

Just so that it will never be said that I am a slacker....Here are a couple of shots as I prepared to head to the lake last week. You think my hands got a little cold when I pulled these off the deck????

75small.jpg

Gages? I don't need no stinkin Gages.....

076small.jpg

So yes, I will brave the elements for some fishing...it truly is an addiction!!:lol:

TOXIC

Glad my boy is snugged neatly away for the winter in my cave!:lol:

Well, at least the jet skis and wakeboarders aren't too bad right now.

Hammer - That boat and rods were stored outside? Or did all of that happen on the ride to the lake??

Trep,

Misting in that magic temp range where it can freeze but doesn't really want to. I keep my rig covered when it sits outside. This happened the night before I went.

TOXIC

Tox - I know how to keep that ice from building up on your rig.

Take your boat south!!! BWAAAAHHHH!!!!! :lol::lol::lol::D

A nice heater in my ice shanty works well. ;) We have 4-6" of ice around here now. I can't wait to get out this weekend. I think I may have an addiction....:blink::p

Gene

That stuff's only affective to 20deg,....we'd have to use it year round up here!!:rolleyes:

Who fishes when its 20 degree? JEEZE we stop when its around 32, us thin blood southerners!!

Haledamage I have one of those, it works for maybe 10-15 minutes before it wears off. It is a smaller tub than it looks, it is about the size of a medicine bottle cap. It is better than nothing. Headed out in about an hour and a half to see if I can pick up a few before dinner, looking for a couple of inches of snow tonight. It is up to nearly 30 so it feels like a heat wave today.....

Mac - Hunting I would consider below freezing, but fishing? 32=freezing=ice! now -5 and ice fishing, i'm game!! LOL Oh and you have a few more inches of warmth on your bod then I do!! LOL

Mr. Trepper...

It has been reported here that in order for you to get wet in nthe shower you have to run around!:eek:

Both WD-40 and Vaseline are petroleum based products. I think you would be ok using either as a stop to the line/guide freeze, but I certainly would not use it on any lure in any lake that you care about....kinda like dumping your oil down the sewer drain!

Latest posts

Back