Guess what I just bought...

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
Based on the wise men on this site, I decided I wanted to be a "reel" fisherman and I bought a Shimano Curado. I will be cussing at you all this summer as I am untangling my nest.

The guy at the store took me out back and tied one on. I was perfect 3 for 3 on casts. He showed me how to adjust everything and his service was well worth the money I spent.

Teri, just stay with it and you'll have it mastered in no time.. Good choice...

Buzz

I told you so!! You will get to really like them. Remember though there is a time and place for both spinning and baitcasters. Took 2- 5 lbers Saturday on spinning, stuck a 4 lber Wednesday on a baitcaster. You just doubled your potential!!

TOXIC

Great purchase, I have four of them one for jig and pig, one for spinnerbaits, one for top water, and one for plastics. In Bassmaster, alot of the pro's list this reel in their equiptment section.

Teri,

Never heard anything bad about Curado's, bet you'll be happy with it!

Sounds like a great salesman too, wish all salespeople were that helpful. Sounds like ya got a good deal, and have a great tackle store to shop at too! egMike

Teri,

I have 2 Curado SF and love 'em. Try a crochet needle to help pick out those "professional overruns". (Male perspective at work again)

Harpo

WOW!!! Now, can you say "Argh! Argh! Argh!"? :^)

I've got 3 of the Curado 101's, Teri, you're gonna love it!

Re: Nests..... Ken Neeley taught me a trick at the rally..... When you get a nest, turn the drag down tight, then butt your thumb nail up against where the line enters the tangle and crank a couple of times on the handle..... This reverses the backlashes and the nest will usually come right out!

Thank you, Ken Neeley! It really does work! The trick seems to be putting your thumb nail hard against the spool in the right spot!

me!

Teri you will master the baitcaster in no time, you will also master the art of undoing the nest's as I did then I got good at not making the nest's as you will.

I heard about the thumb nail trick, but I think I did it wrong. Good luck with the new gear.

Charlie -

I could never get the thumb trick to work either - until Neeley told me to use my THUMB NAIL! Butt it right in there! It works!

me!

P.S.

Where did you buy the reel, Teri? Good salespeople should be recognized here!

I will try it, I was using the nail but pulling it out at the same time insted of cranking.

Teri

you will be happy with the curado. IMHO its one of the best baitcasters money can buy. They are durable, cast well, its $120 well spent.

One tip i can give you is dont over tighten the cast control knob to try to prevent backlashes. I find alot of people do that when getting started and that actually causes more backlashes then it prevents because you have to throw it so much harder to get it to go anywhere. Tighten it up enough so that the lure will drop slowly and there is little overrun when the lure hits the water. as you get better you can losten the knob to get more distance.

well I use to throw (still do) abu's and then I bought some pflueger supremes (Like them a bunch plus I got them for 39 each and they so much better than my abus) then with all the talk and the bps classic deals I bought a shimano curado, LOVE IT. I throw senkos (smaller ones 4") all day with no problem, was even dock skipping with it. I dont think you went wrong at all. now I just have to wait for my new reels to wear out so I can get another. although I really want to try the morris reel out.

Charlie -

You don't want to pull on the line at the same time - that only tightens down the backlash. What Ken had me do was to pull line out to the point of the backlash - but not pull hard - then do the thumb nail thing.

Then pull line out again. If you come across a second backlash, repeat the process.

me!

Get that side-arm cast down first...then start overhand castin' and you'll have it right in no time. Listen to Scott about the backlash...if you get one don't pull...back the spool up with your thumb about two or three revolutions and try agian. Usually it will come right out...I've only had one I had to cut and I was still learnin'. Hardly ever get one now....adjust your reel to each different lure and check every so often to make sure the brake hasn't loosened or bumped the brake.

TEE

Teri, only reels I own... tighten the break and adjust the internal disk so that you have 3 or 4 pins out (remember they have to be across from each other) - this will reduce your lash until you get good with the reel --

Also, remember - when you end your cast, your reel should be sideways -- your thumb should be perpendicular to your body -- thumb to the side, let it ride! This is the biggest mistake i see people make, and one of the biggest reasons people get lash!

David

I bought the reel at Galyans for 120. It came with a free IM8 Galyans rod. I like their rods because the cork handle is skinnier than others which is good for smaller hands. I have some trouble with pain in my hands so the less effort I use for gripping the better. I have 4 pins out with 10lb line. I will give it a whirl on Sunday. I have a couple ponds behind my house to practice.

I appreciate all the tips on removing backlash. I am sure they will come in handy!!!

Fish on!!

Actually.....

I used to buy all Shimano rods because I liked their smaller handles.

Besides having small hands..... I have dupytrens contracture in both which is a curling of the fingers (writer's cramp) common in diabetics and also some nerve atrophy from the diabetes..... I always thought that the smaller handles would be easier to hold.....

Then I got a couple of the BPS Bionic Blades because they came in combo with the Shimano Spirex/Saharas..... Found that the wider grip was actually easier to cradle!

In the past couple years I've switched over entirely to wider handled rods.

me!

OH NO!!! Just got back from 4 day trip with my dad and son and found out that the world came to an end while I was gone cause Teri just got her first BAITCASTER!! Good choice with the Curado!

Bob G.

By the way, if you're going to be using 14 pound line or so, you might find the 100 series to be more to your liking. I got one for my wife because it's smaller, and within a month or two, I got rid of all my 200's in favor of 100's.

Oh, and Scott's physique and mine are QUITE different. I have large hands and my belly is bigger than Scott's boat. My wife has small hands, which is why I had her try the 100 and she said it fit her hands better. But the suggestion to try the 100 has nothing to do with gender or size of hand. It's lighter, smaller, has the "super free" mechanism, and even for a guy using 7' rods, 6'2" and somewhere over 100, 200, and 300 pounds (not added together mind you), I like the feel of the smaller reels.

Latest posts

Back