Good outcome!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I own a 2000 Targa 18 SC that I bought new. In 2001, the exterior weld between the port-side and transom split about 6-inches with a 1" gap at the top. When the weld failed, it popped the rivits out of the corner gusset and it went to the bottom of the lake (being cast aluminum, no surprise). Tracker Marine agreed this was a warranty issue and repaired the weld and replaced the corner gusset. This month (8/12) the repaired weld split in the exact same place and once again the corner gusset hit the bottom of the lake. Tracker Marine initially agreed to repair the weld (again), but also initially opined that the corner gusset would not be covered as it was part of the out-of-warranty hull. I called customer relations and explained that had the weld performed as designed and not failed (a second time) that we wouldn't be discussing the replacement of a corner gusset. After a brief discussion, they very helpful Tracker person agreed to replace the corner gusset "as a measure of good will." I understand that these folks get hammered daily with often unreasonable requests, but it was really nice to see them flex on their original position.

I don't consider that an "unusual" request and I am glad they handled it correctly for you. Possibly get it fixed at an independent shop and not Tracker. Or at least get it looked at after they do fix it to make sure it is right.

Thanks TOXIC. I didn't think it was unusual or unreasonable either. I basically told the lady that for that stern gusset to remain in place, cast aluminum would have to take on new-found elastic properties heretofore unkown, or the rivits would have to have done the same. Bottom line is the weld did not live up to the design specification and it caused the loss of the gusset. She agreed, thankfully. The local dealer service will outsource the welding, same as in 2001. It held 11-years last time (and over some very big water), but I'll check it as good as I can. Thanks!

Well maybe they did turn around they're customer service. When I had my trailer reworked they sucked took almost three months to get it back. I previously posted all the problems I had with my 07 Tundra's fit and finish boo boos. These issues all were "out of warrenty". I suspose if they didn't use the cheapest junk out there to finish the interiors of their boats I wouldn't have issues that were "out of warrenty" who knows. I WILL restate for the record that the service manager I had at Bass Pro was top notch but sometimes it's difficult for even a magician to make a silk scarf out of a sow's ear.

Anyway ooh RAH for your victory. Hope things hold up for in the future. Unfortunately if the same problem in the same place happened again that tells me the boat has some undue stress in that location. If it was used a thousand times from 01 to 2012 I'd say mmmmmh ok but most of us only use our boats a fraction of that much. I'd be interested if they added additional re-inforcing to prevent the problem from happening again.

Sorry for my negatitvity but Tracker has a long way to go before I'd give them a smiley face.

fatrap

Well maybe they did turn around they're customer service. When I had my trailer reworked they sucked took almost three months to get it back. I previously posted all the problems I had with my 07 Tundra's fit and finish boo boos. These issues all were "out of warrenty". I suspose if they didn't use the cheapest junk out there to finish the interiors of their boats I wouldn't have issues that were "out of warrenty" who knows. I WILL restate for the record that the service manager I had at Bass Pro was top notch but sometimes it's difficult for even a magician to make a silk scarf out of a sow's ear.

Anyway ooh RAH for your victory. Hope things hold up for in the future. Unfortunately if the same problem in the same place happened again that tells me the boat has some undue stress in that location. If it was used a thousand times from 01 to 2012 I'd say mmmmmh ok but most of us only use our boats a fraction of that much. I'd be interested if they added additional re-inforcing to prevent the problem from happening again.

Sorry for my negatitvity but Tracker has a long way to go before I'd give them a smiley face.

fatrap

Hear ya fatrap. This boat has been in some big water from the Gulf of Mexico to the Missouri River to some big TX Lakes, and it has been and is a fantastic boat that has served me well. I actually caused the weld failure back in '01. I had a sea anchor down and was about 25' from a rock cliff when the wind picked up to about 25 mph. My motor would start fine but when I would get the anchor up and put it into gear it would die. I'd chunk anchor as far as possible and start pulling to keep off the rocks. About the 10th time this happened and unable to reach any of my buddies for help, I basically got it started and into gear without it dying and, afraid that if I messed with the anchor that it would die again, I skied the achor until I was away from the rocks. That's what tore the weld. I was honest with tracker when it happened, and they said that the warranty still covered that and that the weld shouldn't have failed. The repair lasted over 10-years, so I don't think I'd call that a systemic failure. From my humble experience, repairing aluminum isn't a sure bet under any circumstances. I'm sorry you've had bad experiences, but Tracker has always worked with me. Maybe they won't next time, but I've had a ton of great times with the boat and looking forward to many more. Peace!

Knowing the "rest of the story" as Paul Harvey would say, I think you got exceptional service. You gave them the perfect "out" when you told them you caused the original damage and yet Tracker covered it anyway. Then to have them cover it again is exceptional. At least on the 2nd claim, you could assert that if it were fixed correctly the first time it wouldn't have reappeared. Thumbs up to Tracker. .....now wait for TEE to read this!!:lol::lol:

Totally agree TOXIC. I wasn't EVEN going to go in and not tell them the truth about how the original weld failed, and I offered to pay for the repair because of how it happened. BTW, they also adjusted the motor and it has NEVER died upon going into gear again. I don't have any clue what they did motor-wise, but it worked. I know some have had real battles with Tracker Marine over legitimate issues, but my experience has been that they produce a good quality product and stand behind it, sometimes going beyond reasonable to keep you on the water. I knew I wasn't paying for a Lunde or a Lowe when I bought my Targa 18. I still think I made the right purchase though! :)

I've said this before also. Junior!! Where ever your at I SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT YOUR RANGER FISHERMAN!!!!!!!!!

fatrap

Tox

Just got a email from Jr. Not hanging here much. Yeah the boat was priced right and I should have did it. My Tundra is not THAT bad. In fact it rides and preforms the best I've ever seen. It's just the fit and finish is cheap and it looks it now that it's five years old. My nitro looked like new at 14. I notice a new place where the carpet is wearing through on the edge of the front casting deck and the edges of the fake wood trim glove box has small cracks around it. I put some carpet on the floor between the decks and put snaps to hold it down. Hides the ****ty stained carpet that the glue isn't holding to the floor anymore.

fatrap

Everyone missed the Great deal..I wish you had of gotten It Mike..I miss It but glad It's gone..The best part was the extras..It was by far the best riding boat I ever owned...Just cost to dam much..:)

JR

Latest posts

Back