Good or Bad?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobby smith2

Reaction score
Hello all. I just traded an $8000 M/C for this 98' Nitro 912 Savage (even trade). It has a good running Mercury225 (verified by marine center). It had some electrical issues that the boat center fixed, replaced some guages, etc... Anyhow, I've put a stereo in it and am going to have the seats reupholstered. Carpet is all good. I really wanted a ski boat but thought this may have been worth my than the M/C that I was trading. If so, then I'm gonna trade this for a ski boat. So are there any opinions on my trade? I've never owned a boat, so this is all new to me. Thanks for any opinions!!

I would like to ask also, I used the wires for one of my console dash lights for the stereo hookup. I lose stereo memory when I turn the master switch off. Would it be better to run wires to the fuse box? It also seems to cut off after about 10 minutes of running in my driveway. Does this boat have a low battery shutdown that would cause this? Thanks!!

Bobby

Boat1-1.jpg

Boat2.jpg

I've seen them go for $6500 to $9000. 8k would mean to me it was damm clean perfect upholstery, carpet in excellent shape and the trailer rust free and the paint with minimum chips and good tires, all guages and accessories(live wells, bilge pumps, lights etc) running, hatches all line up true. Remember that A boat from the South has probably twice the wear and tear on it as one from up North. One stored outdoors may have rotting issues, oxidized gelcoat. Check the edges of the decks where they meet the fiberglass bulkheads. Check the corners of the transom where they join the side bulkheads for cracks and delamination. You had the outboard checked out? Meaning they did a compression test on all six cylinders? Just my opinion Did you check the wheel bearings? Unfortunately I've seen a boat that has sat for a few years with no wheel bearing maintinence lose a hub 50 miles from where it was picked up. If you had to put another couple g's in it to get it right you may be on the skinny side of the deal.

Now assuming (which means making ass out of you and me)your a knowledgeable previous boat owner and you did all the above you may have found a "cherry" and it will serve you well.

fatrap

Its not perfect thats for sure. The guy I traded it from had the gauges replaced. It had some oxidation on the top but a $50 restore kit took care of that. The motor was all checked out at the boat shop. I've run the boat and the motor runs great. Upholstery is not the best but I'm in the process of throwing new seats in it. Carpet is all good. Trolling motor works good. Has a hotfoot in it and all trim switches work fine. So I went on NADA and it says the boat was valued at $10,500. I was told at the marine shop that the mercury 225 was worth the bike?????? Thanks for your input. Any more opinions and info would be greatly appreciated!!

Basshog40 quit swetting it. You made a good trade. You'll get your money back if you want to. You may not like this boat as a ski boat but so what. Fishing is better anyway especially for a Texas guy. Get a prop for the ski stff. Put a couple of good graphs on this boat, get it on the water and don't worry about a little water ring or a little fish poop on the carpet. Scratch it up a little on Lake Fork or Falcon and get on with building memories of a great day on the water. If you just have to ski, get a ski boat too or trade off with friends. Is this a great country or what? We are so blessed.

upps, sorry I spelled your handle wrong. One look at that big Nitro and bass started swimming in my head.

BTW, hook all electronics up to the fuse box and make sure they are appropriately fused. There should be blank places on the fuse board to add accesories. Deptfinders should be hooked up directly to the starting battery with an inline fuse. Did you have your batteries tested? Check all connections for deposites. Clean them completely. Soda water will nuetralize all battery acid. Make sure you take some electrical tape and carefully reinsulated the wire from the dash lights after you remove your splice. The stero and the dash lights probably draw different amounts of current therefore different size fuses. Crank up the stero and no telling what will happen to your dash lights. You heard of Murphy's Law? Murph LOVES boats. The only thing ole Murphy likes more than boats is boat wiring. You just sent him an invitation with your stero set up. If you set up your depth finders as mentioned above make sure you turn them off as the master switch will not do it. This I know the hard way. Just a thought you might want to put a voltage meter on the leads from the engine while it is running to see if it's outputting more than 12 volts. 13 is good 14 is better. An outboard will run fine on voltage lower than 12 but won't recharge the starting battery. I carry jumper cables, hand tools,tow rope, flash light and spare fuses. A multitool can save the day. I'm not trying to be a spoilsport, Eufaula sent you all the warm fuzzies you need. I just don't want to see you stuck out there stranded by yourself with nothing but your $ick in your hand and a problem that could have been easily taken care but was overlooked. In the last 40 years of boating/fishing I've seen alot of things that could have been prevented. Wanting nothing but safe boating for your :)Good luck

fatrap....again

Thanks again guys. Btw, batteries are all good. I got in the transom and pulled batteries and changed connectors on all wiring and degreased the whole transom. Will run the stereo to the fusebox. And btw there " eufala is my home" the boat has a trophy 4-blade SS prop.

Latest posts

Back