Good Deed Question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Kayaker

Reaction score
Well, I did my first good deed while out on Lake Massabesic in NH. As I was heading out from the launch, I saw a man waving from a pontoon boat across the lake and at first thought he was waving to someone in a boat near him (there were alot of people out as it was the holiday). I realized he was trying to get someone's attention but none of the pleasure boaters nearby stopped. So I headed across the water to get near him. Apparently his motor died and was trying to get someone to stop and help him for close to two hours - he was too far from shore.

I tied a rope from a cleat on the front of his pontoon boat to my ladder at the rear of the boat and carefully and slowly pulled him to the launch at his home. At first, I was worried about tying it there as I envisioned my ladder ripping off the boat, but it seemed to be okay. He and his family were very appreciative and I think it saved their holiday.

My question - I only have cleats at the front of the boat and thought it would have been difficult to tow him that way and might have gotten the rope caught in the motor. It worked out okay but was wondering what the best way is to tow someone as I want to do it the safest way possible if it ever happens again.

Thanks, Bill, The Mad Kayaker

I dont think i would have tried it woth the front cleats, i would think it would make steering tough. My boat has cleats in the rear and that is what i have always used if i need to tow someone. Maybe you could install some in the back.

If at all possible use the tie down cleats on the transom... They are generally through bolted.

I also gave a tow recently and what I had done was to go through both of my transom eyes out past my motor in a 'V' shaped pattern through the other guys bow eye. Could of hooked on anywhere I guess. Towed him back in gear at not much more than a running idle.

I didn't mind helping out too much because I could see it happening to me some time also. Would hope someone will be around if that happens. Can't see a trolling motor battery holding out forever.

It even makes you feel good helping some stranded Joe who is down on his luck on the water.

Hey Bill

I have also towed someone with the two tie down eyes on the transom (2 ropes so they dont get caught up in the prop or a ski rope with float) seems to work good! I am also in NH (Hudson) where are you located? I have a tournament coming up on massabesic and have never boated or fished it ,How well is it marked and how's the fishing?

Wow - I completely forgot about the tie-down eyes on the transom. I am going to make a harness just for that purpose. I knew I would get help by posting the question.

NH Mike - I am actually in Reading, MA but am trying to make the most of my summer and my new Nitro by trying to go to at least one new body of water every week. This was the first time I have gone there so I can only tell yo my opinion from this past weekend. There are about two or three boat launches - I launched at the launch off Rt 121 in Manchester. Use that as a reference point for the info below. It is very well marked. Take your chances around Grape Island though as there are many large boulders just under the surface

I didn't have a very good chart, so I figured I'd head toward the southern part of the lake. If you go around Rocky Point, past the bridge and fish around Fletcher Island, Browns Island and Grape Island, you might get some bass. I used Senkos around the pads that were on the points or on curves - these bass were pretty small. I also fished some coves and used scum frogs and sumo frogs and got larger bass on lay downs and pads. I didn't catch any smallmouth at all (figured I'd get some on some of the more rocky bottom areas), just largemouth.

The place seems heavily fished and I was disapointed but it might have been the change in weather, time of day, etc... There are some pretty steep drop-offs that you might try jigging.

I'm not in a club or claim to be a great fisherman so I hope you do well. Send me a PM after your tournament - I'd be interested in how you did and what you caught your fish on and where!

Thanks again to everyone for your advice - Bill, The Mad Kayaker

If you make a "harness", be sure you also include some kind of "flotation" to keep the harness out of the prop... I have a tow harness for my jon boat (used to move a floating duck blind) that is 1/4" cable and then there is a shackle on a wheel, the flotation is just a 1qt oil bottle (but it works)...

DO NOT USE A SKI HARNESS AND/OR SKI ROPE to tow a real boat. When that thing breaks (and it will) it will slice you open pretty good from the "whiplash" left in all that stretched out poly rope!

I carry a heavy (5/8') dock line that is 40' long and two more that are 15' so I just splice them together... Put two eye splices together and use a sheet bend to join the ropes where there is no "eye" (remember that are millions of knots... but only a handful that you can untie)...

mad, mike.

remember massabiesic is a resivior,

make sure when launching or releasing fish you do not come in contact with the water.

i have seen people receive heafty fine for stepping in the water while launching there boats at massabiesic.

Bill, the rear harness would be your best bet, but in that instance you would have to reach intoo the water and could have been fined for doing a good deed.

GregD

I am now fascinated with the thought that there is another "local" rule that I am going to believe is nuts... If I understand this last post by GregD; you cannot "touch" the water... You can boat, fish, etc... in short "use" the water; but you can't come into contact with it? Am I reading this right?

Bill it is true, i have fished there many times and thats the rule. Wachessuett res in Mass that you can only fish from shore that even if the waves cause the water to hit your boot while you are fishing(shore only) you will get fined. The part in mass that kiss me is the "backup" lakes in the framingham/marlboro area that you cant go anywhere near never mind fish but the Quabbin res you can take up to a 20hp two stroke motor in and the Quabbin is where Boston gets all its water from. Makes no sense to me.

Hey GregD - thanks for the info. They never mentioned that in the NH Boat Safety course. I did know you couldn't swim in the water or bring a jet ski in there, but I didn't know you couldn't stick your hand in the water or touch it at the boat launch.

You know what is interesting is that at Bow Lake in NH, there was someone looking at the underside of your boat at the launch and asking you where you last put your boat in at, but here, there was nobody.

Even though this topic got far afield from my original question, I am glad I learned yet one more thing from this community.

Bill, the Mad Kayaker

I always try to help...I pulled a guy once on just one but, it was a pretty small boat.

yes it is true,

DON'T TOUCH THE WATER!!!!

i asked what the idea of this was and the fish and game guys told me that they could seperate the oil and gas residue from the water but cleaning the water from humans is differant. removing fecal matter and or urine was a reel problem for the water facilty.

Bill,

the people at the ramps are called lake hosts, they are triing to educate the boaters of the millfiol problem around the area, the are very friendly and are keeping track of were you have boated last and to see if your hull is clean. i was at Highland lake and they inspected my hull after i pulled out of the lake. that was a first. but i think it is a great idea and will back them 100%.

GregD

Yes, that milfoil is HORRIBLE. Those darned bass use it and makes it so hard to catch them. Of course, you could rid yourself of the milfoil and the bass :(

unfortunatly the milfoil in NH and MA has bacome a very large problem. some of the smaller lakes are so choked with it even the fish are feeling the afects.

Latest posts

Back