"Go To" lures for daytime summer bass

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew Zuber

Reaction score
Let's hear from the experts...

What is your "go to" lure during these dog days of summer?

Topwater is always good at first and last light. However, during daylight I like to work outside the weed edges in 12-16ft of water with salt and pepper colored Chomper grubs.

What works for you?

az

Zoom grubs and Riverside tubes for smallies

Large jig tubes, and jig n pig for LM in the shade/docks

I still get good spinnerbait hits through out the day by larger fish, ie not many hits, but good fish when it happens. These are all LM, never even caught a smallie here in FL. ALomost always white spinnerbaits, and almost always a Hart spinnerbait tandem willow...............sa

Since meeting Rob, my "go to" lure for smallies is a Zoom grub. Senkos for largemouths. I have also added the jig n pig to my short list for largemouths thanks to Jamey. My standbys are a Rebel crawfish and Rapala Shallow Shad Rap.

Bob G.

My go to lure has to be Rob.. He can catch them when he's laying down...

Buzz-

Do you try to cast him, or just troll him behind the boat?

az

Keel haul him!

(Uh, Rob..... When you get to the end..... watch for the prop!)

Carolina rigged 7" worm in watermelon with red flakes.

Or.....

Texas rigged 4" worm in motor oil.

me!

TEE - Tex Transplant shipped me a video where the guy was using those 7-10 inch CR rigged worms. Surprized the heck out of me. I always thought in summer with slower bitting fish you were to go DOWN in size, I would never have thought to go that BIG, heck I don't have any worms over 6inches at all.

Will have to get some and try it.

Oh and TEE - Register man!

Sounds like a personal problem Trep. But acceptance is the first step. We don't think LESS of you, LOL.

1/8th ounce Rainbow colored Rooster Tail, or a #2 Mepps Aglia with a brown tail and gold spinner.. Medium to decent Kentuckies will hit a Mepps all year long, and the Rooster Tail seems to work well for creek Smallies. Can you tell I'm not a 'wormy' kinda guy??!? LOL!

I *swear* I'm gonna start using tubes and grubs for those stream Smallies someday, though.. I just hate wasting my time LEARNING! Hahaha!

C-rigged 6" or 8" Zoom June Bug Lizards on deep breaks with cover.

Bear

Rob - It's not the length of the worm but the width and motion you impart!

Spoken like a true "shorty" LOL Trep it's OK, with today's technology, it's only a matter of time before they can fix it! Until then, stay away from sandpaper......leaves you raw, and itchy!

Jig & Pig adark color, shades of green with a jumbo green pumpkin or black blue flake plastic chunk

Green Pumpkin Zoom Brush Hog with a pegged 1/2 oz weight and a 4/0 EWG Gammy

Work these baits dead slow and hang on!

I fish from 4am to 9am or from 6 pm until all hours of the night. During the dog days of summer I "go to" the cooler and pull out a beer.

Oh Bob G., who was that told you about the zoom grub???...LOL

Marke

Marke,

Ok, OK. Rob told me about the Zoom grub, but it was YOU that showed me the way!!! Are you fishing Champlain anymore this year??

Bob G.

Sunshine: 4" black Slider worm on a weighted Slider hook

Rain/Drizzle: Rainbow Sluggo on a wide-gap weightless hook

Thunder/Lightning: Popcorn, a movie from Blockbuster and some high quality cologne.

Mo,

Just watch where you put that cologne...we discussed it in another thread.

Oh, I REMEMBER! Notice I said nothing about sandpaper or steel wool!! And certainly nothing whatsoever about any kind of grease!

And I guess I mis-read Andy's question.

I see that he did say mid-summer, daytime BASS!

10 inch worms in the trees!! Especially on lakes like truman in MO. I fish salt craws and jig n craw in the river arms of the lake and believe it or not a Buzzbait!

Tim

Latest posts

Back