Gel Coating

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobby smith2

Reaction score
So, I have this older Nitro that I'm doing some cosmetic work on. Someone had removed a couple of the decals. I'm replacing original decals along the "gunwale"?? The top edge of the boat. I would like to gelcoat these after I'm done to make sure they stay in good condition. Can I buy just a clear gelcoat that I can brush back over the entire edge after I'm done? Do I need to sand the edge down before decal installation? Just any info would be helpful. Thanks!!

I'm also replacing the Nitro decal that goes along the back end of the hull. Can I mask off this section and gelcoat or do I have to do the whole side of the boat??

You do not want to gel over decals...for lots of reasons....you are better off replacing the decals when needed that's why the original ones were not gelled by the factory. You also have to spray gel, it is not brushed on. Spraying gel is an art form, I would never attempt it.

Well I could still see the indentations where the older decals were on the top edge. They look like they were under gelcoat. I've restored some oxidation that was on the top side and that's why it looked to me they were under. Also, I was a painter for quite a few years and have done some automotive painting also. I have spraying equipment. The reason I mentioned brushing is I read somewhere of brushing gelcoat on. ???? But I'm presuming, No reason to gelcoat over decals??????

Latest posts

Back