Gear ratio question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warren David

Reaction score
I have 2 reels I use for crankbaits. One reel has a gear ratio of 5:4:1 and the other is 5:2:1. Are these good for cranking or should I be using higher speed reels?

Thanks

Crankbait?!?!?!? I haven't heard of a Merc with those ratios...is it new???? LOL....yes, there's humor, even with me.....:blink:

Yes I would consider that a good ratio for crankbaits. Need faster for spinnerbait/buzz baits in my opinion. Heck I like a fast ratio for jigs/plastics because it lets you bring them in fast when through working a cast to make the next cast.

Not all crankbaits are created equal.....Deep divers are totally different and a different ratio works better. It's a personal thing, some can crank slower others like the reel to do it and the retrieve stays the same.

TOXIC

Myself I prefer a lower ratio for cranks and spinners because it's easier for me to speed up than to slow down.

Here is an article that I came by while surfing around, I dont know how old it is, but I found it helpful.

http://www.bassresource.com/beginner/selecting_rods_reels.html

The 'guru' of crankbait fishing from NC (David Fritts) recommends the slower ratio reels. I bought one of his combo outfits some years ago (slow retrieve reel and fiberglass rod) and simply love it for crankbait fishing. I found that I had marketedly better success with that setup.

Getting crankbaits to their proper depth does not depend near as much on 'speed' as it does crankbait design and type/size of line. But, then again - different strokes for different folks.

Lot's of factors to consider.

Here's a review of the Bass Pro Fritts Cranking reel - note the gear ratio:

"I have this reel in the 4.7:1 model and i put 10lb berkely100% flurocarbon. then i matched it up with a st. croix mojo bass crankin model. i can cast a dd22 five country miles, or a bandit 100 two country miles(i hope you know thats an exaggeration) the slow speed really triggers strikes, i think that is because i see guys throwin crankbaits with a 6.3 or 7.1 reel ratio. i only use 5.1 or lower with a crankbait, so buy it and make sure that when you spool it you have a lot of free time if you buy the 4.7:1 gear ratio."

My two cents. I agree with the comments above. When I changed to the Fritts combo, it made a great difference in crankbait fishing.

Tex

I prefer a faster ratio reel as I can slow down my reeling and it is easier in the long run (all day) to slow down than speed up. Also I for personal reasons like to keep the same ratios on reels (feet per reel more than ratio) as I can better judeg what I am doing. Just may only work for me, but then again I AM different!:wacko:

Randy

YES you are Randy!:lol:

I know ONE of my fav things to do is Slloooooow Roll a spinner and find that hard to do with a fast ratio but,then again I just ain't right either:p

If you can't be right, there's nothing wrong being left Tee!:cool:

Randy!

My only real negative to the slower retrieve reels, is if I'm fishing a particular zone or area and want to get it back quickly (once out of the zone). Also, Tee's comment about slow rolling a spinnerbait is something that I've tried but never slowed down enough to be really effective. Maybe I should try a slower reel! :wacko:

Tex

I think the rod is the most important piece of the equation, medium to medium-heavy power/ moderate action. Line type and size would be next. I always use fluorocarbon in varying sizes according to desired depth. The reel is as stated above personal preference, I use a lower ratio reel cause it works for me.

If you ain't slow rollin' at Dale in the spring...your not getting bit.

Ask my wife:lol:

Latest posts

Back