Fuel Octane question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean Troy

Reaction score
With the gas prices so high this year, I was wondering how many people actually use the higher octane fuels at the gas stations throughout the country. If the use is low as I suspect, how long do you think that fuel has been sitting in those tanks? Wouldn't the fuel be degrading? Is it still a safe bet to use the higher octanes when winterizing? just wondering, Sean

I own a Gulf station and the high prices hurt us on our end too. Buying 5000 gallons of super at a whack is heavy money! I know it's a slow mover these days so I only sit on what I can sell. There's no reason to top off that tank. I think you'll find that most gas stations do the same so nobody's fuel is sitting in the ground getting stale. In this business, our cost of goods sold is so high, and margins so low, we only buy what we can quickly sell, then restock.

I really don't quite understand this. You should use gas with the octane that your car is designed to run on. A lot of people think you can go farther on a gallon of 93 octane than 87, they have the same energy content, and running the higher octane fuels get you nothing on most cars. Typically higher performance engines require the higher octane fuels, now and then you can get a surprise if you don't check the required fuel octane prior to buying a vehicle.

Berry, only for winterizing would you use the higher octane fuel.

The key is to go to a "High Volume" station. I have to run Premium in my Lexus and I fill at the stations where there is the most traffic. Helps to ensure your fuel is as fresh as possible. There are a number of vehicles that run high-test so the high volume stations will be the best bet.

I bought my Tundra(2000) new and have always run 89 octane. About a month ago I decided not to spend the extra 15 cents per gallon and try the 87, I have seen absolutely no difference in performance or gas mileage.

There have been plenty of threads on this topic over the years. (The Search feature is your friend with this.) You should always follow what the manufacturer prescribes. If your engine requires it (high compression, advanced spark/timing, tuning mods, etc.) only a fool uses anything else. For storing gas, using one grade higher octane rating for long periods of inactivity helps ward off oxygen deprivation within the fuel at burn time.

Jimmy, that is my point exactly, cost has nothing to do with it, it is operating specs. You buy by specs not how expensive it is. I agree on a little higher octane for storage as it degrades a little.

Why do you even worry about guessing what number octane your fuel may or may not be after sitting idle for months? If thats your only concern, just wack some booster into it when you use it for the first time and no matter what, you'll be over your octane number, which won't hurt and will stop all the fuss.

If then your still worried, have the specific gravity tested before you use it,just grab a sample from the tank and you'll acyually know what it is before starting after winter.

Get some coveralls, hair jigs, and jerk baits, and keep fishing, then you dont have to worry about winterizing. Just keep the boat strapped to the trailer when on the ramp because froze over trailer bunks from fishing the day before will prematurely launch your boat onto the concrete ramp, its very hard to push one across a frozen ramp and into the water while you have tears in your eyes from laughing at your bone head move.

Why do you even worry about guessing what number octane your fuel may or may not be after sitting idle for months? If thats your only concern, just wack some booster into it when you use it for the first time and no matter what, you'll be over your octane number, which won't hurt and will stop all the fuss.

If then your still worried, have the specific gravity tested before you use it,just grab a sample from the tank and you'll acyually know what it is before starting after winter.

No offense Thommo, but that is not a good idea at all. :eek:

WARNING - Take the above advice at your own peril. Octane boosters are notoriously high in alcohols (Meth/Eth) which dramatically increases your absorption rate of water in fuel, particularly when a 10% ethanol could already be contained within that stored fuel. Running a higher amount of that through two strokes is a disaster waiting to happen. I emphatically DO NOT RECOMMEND ADDING ANY OCTANE BOOSTER TO FUEL USED IN TWO STROKES. Good luck! ;)

Ill run about anything in my truck,cause the cheap destructive ethonal gas dont stay in there long enough to degrade,but in my boat ,I burn nothing,but 90 octane ethenol free.

Latest posts

Back