Fuel Gauge 750 NX

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berry Lindley

Reaction score
It looks like my new to me Nitro needs a little more help. I put in enough gas today (about 1/2 a tank) and it does not register, so something is wrong. Is there a fuse for the fuel gauge? I found a fuse panel but did not see the key for what fuse protects what circuit. I also found the purple wire on the ignition switch that the hour meter should be connected to and will reconnect it correctly. Looks like a jack leg dealer put that option on incorrectly, so I have an hour meter and only know how long the console was on, not the engine. It has so few hours on it, I really would like to know if it has been fully broken in, but I guess now there will be no way to know. Thanks everyone,

The fuel gage on my 750 only registers when there's 3/4-a full tank. Then it bounces all over the place below that until it finally reads nothing even when there's plenty of gas in there. I think it's something you might just have to live with.

Jimn - With all due respect, I would not "live" with it! There is something wrong and with some time (and probably money) it can be fixed. I personally don't know how to troubleshoot an electrical problem with the sending unit but I am sure someone on the board does and will offer some advice.

#1 make sure all three wires are hooked into your gauge

#2 find the fuel sending unit on the tank and cross the two terminal on top with a peice of wire. (make sure key is ON). If the gauge moves you have a bad sender

If gauge does not move, you have a bad connection somewhere or a bad gauge probably the former.

Double check the ground too. On mine the ground wire fell off once and it reacted similar to yours. it should be connected at the tank and directly to the battery.

My 750 is the same,reads a full tank when full,but use a quarter to about half and it starts to read just above empty.Here is a ? on a side note not meaning to send this in another direction,how far should I be able to run on a full tank(30 gal) 115Merc ELPTO at say 3/4 throttle.I plan on running the river for a tourney and i need to go 65-75 miles upstream and be able to make it back.

Like I said, you may just have to learn to live with it. Sorry Bill in VA. I've had the same deal since my boat was brand new. I learned to live with it and so have a whole lot of other people. I've been involved in this same discussion a few different times and there hasn't been a cure for the issue.

I had this issue with my 911... those analogue fuel gauges are worthless on boats... could be odd size/shape of the tank, or that there simply isnt enough travel for the sender/guage to respond appropriately.

If the sender is fine (meaning that it has full freedom of movement and sends the signal out) - replace the gauge with something more digital.

I replace mine with a Lowrance LMF-400 (multi function), but you could use the LMf-200 for the smaller spot. With the LMF-400 I got GPS Speedometer, fuel gauge and fuel flow in a single full size spot. (plus any other accessories that can be hooked to an NMEA-2000 network).

With several tests, My guage is now much more accurate.

Latest posts

Back