Foot throttle & Bezel stick?????

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scott - Rich S. installed a Hot Foot (don't remember which brand) on his 700lx last year. I do believe that some of the foot throtles still let you use the hand control.

What's a Pro-Trim Bezel Switch??

Scott, you will likely need to get longer cables before you can put a hot foot in. The switch is a good idea with the hot foot, that way you can keep both hands on the wheel at WOT.

Rob - is the Pro Trim Bezel the steering column mounted trim thingy?? Saw that and the Jackplate switches on Dan's 929 he made it look EASY to shoot up to 75mph!

Sorry Scott #2 forgot you were not Scott #1 who has been in Rich's boat. I just figured Scott #1 had ANOTHER senior moment!!

Trep, yes, they mount on the steering column and are like the signal light lever style switch in your car. You can get a double that one side does your trim, the other does your jackplate. Then add a hot foot, and you never have to take you hands off the wheel while running. It makes it much easier to tweak the boat, and is safer. I am forcing myself to get used to hotfoots so I can set up my next boat this way. It's very important for boats topping 70 mph, and crucial for shallow water take offs. If you get back into some skinny water, you need to really have this stuff and at least a 4 bladed prop to get out. I've seen guys get on plane from only 1 foot of water.

Scott, I installed a T&H marine hotfoot with little difficulty and also mounted it on the slide plate. The Teleflex Pro Trim switch(blinker style) is a great option to also install. There are a few other trim switch options you can install. T&H makes a 2 button one that mounts to the wheel and rotates with the wheel as you turn. (My first one). I personally didn't like that because you would have to look for the buttons if you were turning the wheel. As far as the cable is concerned, you should go up atleast one foot in throttle cable length. Thats all i had to do on my 882. Eaiest way to measure if you don't already know the current cable length is from the left side of the motor (half way on my merc 150) all the way to the place you want to mount it (foot pedal), following the current cables layout. You can do all this above the gunwales.

Good Luck

Eric H.

I had one of the trim button switches on my steering wheel but didn't like it. The cable would twist around as you turned and it always seemed to be in the way, so I removed it. And as Eric said, I had to look down to see where it was.

Yeah, yeah, yeah..... Trep's been sampling his beer before quiting time again..... That brew will make a "senior" outta you real quickly, Michael!

Not only do I remember Rich's hot foot and that he installed it..... I actually got to use it 'cuz Rich let me DRIVE his boat - unlike some other members of this board - and I can report that it is a blast to not have to mess with that hand throttle!

Although I will also add that a couple of years ago, when Rich and I got to borrow a 929 for the rally that had both a hot foot and the steering column trim switch, for some reason I did not like the trim on the column. It just didn't "feel" right.....

The Original "me!"

(Just in case Trep forgets!)

OK, guys: You are arguing braging rights over driving a 17 footer with a 115. Time to get out of the house and go fishing again.

One thing to remember if you put in a hot foot....

WHen you get in a boat that doesnt have one, DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT attempt to idle forward by putting the hand control all the way up or back!!!!

You will be surprised at just how much speed you can attain in that second or two it takes you to realize that the handle is the throttle again!

Rich -

Your 17 footer with the 115 will outrun my 20 footer with a 200!

It'll gulp far less fuel in doing so.

It'll turn tighter.

In short (It's ok for me to use the "s" sord!) your boat can run circles around mine!

And it is a BLAST to drive!

Porsche vs. Greyhound Bus!

Lord..... I NEED to go fishin'.....

But alas, in 3 foot waves you will be glad you're in that Greyhound Bus Grasshoppa!! Porsche's are no good on dirt roads!!

Scott - Something is seriously WRONG if Rich's 700 can outrun your 20fter! I'll agree on the turning and gas consumption (heck for that matter MY 17ft trumps BOTH of yours!!! :), but what's the top end you've gotten that new boat up to?

Scott'll be crowing about speed when he swaps out his High Five for a three blade.

Greg GPS'ed her at 61.4 mph this summer on Mark Twain; I believe that Rich get a couple more out of his boat.

You're right, Mark, "if"..... I've had a couple of offers to trade for other props - one from Louisianna and one from Virginia - but none of us wanted to be the first to ship their expensive props out to the other guy! No big deal, the High Five does just fine. Maybe I'll just end up having to do like most people and buy a second prop!

Mercury's prop page on their website actually did their test using my boat/motor combo with the 3-blade Tempest - WOT was 68 light / 67 tournament load.

Scott,..I was getting those speeds out of my version of your boat...i had a 2000DC with a 200EFI on it,....with a 4 Blade Trophy I was getting in the hi-60's....so if you come across a deal to swap for either a 3blade or a 4,....take it!...Either one of those would be better than the hi-5!

You don't carry a big tournament load either, so the holeshot won't suffer significantly......the 3 blade would probably be the best one for your rig!! IMO

Mac

I may need the 4-blade to get out of the hole, Mac.....

With the combination of being unemployed for a while and the Holidays, all I did was eat.....

I'm up to 154# now!

no sweat,..the 3 blade will be fine,...my satchel of soft plastics weighs more than that!!! LOL

Thanks everyone for the help,

Scott I have a 912 with a merc. 200efi, I switched to trophy 4 blade with a 25 pitch. The boat drives on a rail, it will top out at 64 (wot. Merc. sit tested the boat and got 68 (wot) - I think it's all the beer I carry that slows me down.

Scott # 2

Wait is this BIZZARO world? Both Scott's Drive 19-20ft Nitros with 200hp Mercs!

Except that the 912 is a 21-footer and, if I remember correctly, quite a bit wider, too.

Latest posts

Back