Float-n-what????

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Izzi

Reaction score
OK guy's I give up! I went to Lake Cumberland yesterday to try this float-n-fly deal again it is the third time. I guess lady luck ain't buying in on this one. I removed all my tackle so I would force myself not to bail out midstream and try to make this work.....but what the *&%%^&^% wrong thing for me. I sat there for the most boring 7 hours of my life watching that little bobber and nothing. I got the hang of the casting down pretty well now but I can not catch a fish!!!!!! Any help with this technique because I am darn determined to make this work and I will be going down again to give it another whirl?

The Dragon

Don't watch the bobber! :wacko:

I know, I know, if I've nothing positive to contribute, then ....

O.K.....call Stephen Headrick at Dale Hollow One Stop. He should be doing some local seminars that will give you detailed information. He also has a FNF DVD out right now for $14.99. I also seen that BPS carrys the vid and FNF tackle now.

I'm no FNF expert but, can tell you there are some tricks when the bite gets tough.

From my understanding and the reports I've read, the bite is a little slow right now because the some of the lakes are just turning over or have just turned over due to warmer weather.

Give me a call this evening when you get a chance. I've got some questions for you.

Thanks Marty, Dac is a buddy of mine and he is the reason I am on this quest in the first place. I have been over and over this with him 20 times I just can't seem to get it! This old dog can learn new tricks but I guess I am going to have to pick his butt up and take him out there until I catch one! LOL

Are we talking about the same time of year???

From my understanding and the reports I've read, the bite is a little slow right now because the some of the lakes are just turning over or have just turned over due to warmer weather.

Come on now. Lakes getting warmer in January, and turning over?????

My basic understanding is, that this technique is used primarily when fish are suspended. Right now, I'd have a hard time believing - that the fish are suspended. They should either be shallow (on occasion - feeding), or out deep.

My other suggestion would be to try the FNF, after you find baitfish that are deeper.

Tex

Hey Tex,

The water temp was 41 degrees the balls of bait-fish were in the middle of the lake. FNF fishing is done next to steep bluffs with ledges and not when the water gets above 46-48. I don't know if you have spent any time on Lake Cumberland but the shallows are few and far between. 10' off the bank the water is 80' deep it is a bear in warm weather. But thanks for the input and when I figure this out I will let you guy's know. I am pretty much venting and my wife could care less you guy's are all I got! LOL:D:D:p

The Dragon

Don't take my word for it Tex...they turned over late this year.

And like Dragon stated...with deep lakes like Dale it can take a month for the lake to turn over because it averages 100 ft. depths down at the dam side of the lake.

It is usually turned over by December but, 60 degree weather in December prevented that.

Dragon when I fished Cumberland last year we did the same bluff walls in 20-40 foot of water. However we casted right against the bank and worked it back to the boat, the boat was about 30 feet out. Some times we hit those rocky points at the end of the bluffs and cought a few there. Make sure you are using fish dope and flouro line.

The guy I fish with beieves in fishing it on a overcast day, maybe a little snow and with some wind on the bank. We always had our bobber in the shade, always. Also you can buy weighted floats that lay on thier side and "tip up" when a real light stike happens. Hope this helps. You may already know most of this.

Donnie

Hey Donnie...how ya been?

I'll take an overcast day to sunshine anytime on clear water.

Man just living the dream lol...really I have been busy like a Mo-Fo. Work and traveling is catching up to me. Still looking to swap jobs when the right one comes along. How about you, been slaying the smallies at Dale? I had some buddies that where killing them about 4-5 weeks ago.

Donnie

Glad you brought that up my friend!

Did pretty well last spring and fall was a lil' tougher due to the ultra warm temps.

BUT, dad's got him a nice trailer down there about 3 miles from the lake!

So you know where I'll be and you'll have to stay in contact and come on down!:cool:

LOL When I get some "free time" I will shout at you. Tight libes dude.

Donnie

Latest posts

Back