Flippin / Pitchin Reel

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric Wilder2

Reaction score
What reel do you guys feel is the best for flippin & pitching? I am always picking loops and loose line out when I pitch and flip. I am currently using Pinnacle Matrix and Shimano Curado SF. But I would upgrade if I could find one that elimates the loops and loose spooling.

thanks and tight lines...Wilder

I use the Curado. The only way I have found to cut down on the backlashes is to adjust it every time a change baits and to keep it a little tighter than is ideal. I think your always going to have to deal with backlashes to a certin degree if you want any kind of distance on your pitch. I'm not sure that even with a very expensive reel that your going to avoid them altogether but thats just my opinion. Hopefully some users of the more expensive reels can offer their opinions.

i use either a Curado 101 or 201SF (depending on the rod) for flipping and pitching.

Adjusting the reel properly is a must... I was having a terrible time with backlashes until I went back to the basics.

1. If your backlash is at the beginning of the pitch (and you are getting little/no distance) tighten the cast control knob. It should allow the bait to fall slowly and no/minimul overrun when it hits the floor. (This was almost entirely my problem, I had this knob way to loose).

2. If your backlash is at the end of the cast, adjust your brakes or educate the thumb a bit more.

Also, remember that switching from a pitch to a cast loads the rod differently, and you may need to readjust your brakes/thumb... which is sometimes hard to do on the fly.

I have thought about trying the castaic for flipping/pitching, but can't see me getting used that extra thumb thingy...

and if they only made that Johnny Morris reel in a left handed model, I think that would be a killer for flipping/pitching.

At Bass U. I saw, with my own eyes, Denny Brauer pitch a jig across the room, probably 30' without even touching the spool. He was using the Dawia TDX (the $200. one). It makes me wonder if the magnetic spool control works better than the cetrifugal one tha Shamino uses. I'm wanting one to try out but just can't seem to get a $200 reel to the top of the list.

I now use a Shimino Curado 200 sf for pitching. I get some backlashs mostly when the bait hits a tree or something before it reachs the target. I get fewer backlashs with Power Pro line than mono. I recently switched to P-Line just to see if I was missing something. I like the way I can see it much better but it does woof up worse.

Harpo

I don,t know if it is worthy or not but I have found that besides all of the above , a little less line spooled on the reel seems to help.

OK,

What is a super free? That mean the spool rotates with litte or no frictin? I have pretty much stayed with spinning before Cecil hooked me up.

Carlos

Super Free is where the spool completly dis-engages with the pinion gear during the cast. Less friction and drag = longer casts. Dawia calls it Super Speed Shaft.

Harpo

Pierre, I checked out the Castaic at the tackle show. I like the older model better. It seemed to fit the thumb better. Which model do you have?

Harpo

Latest posts

Back