1. Welcome to Nitro & Tracker Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

fishing sunglasses clip ons

Thread in 'Boat Chat' started by brantley moats, Aug 21, 2014.

1. brantley moats

brantley moats Well-Known Member

Anybody got any fishing experience using clip on sunglasses? What brand and/or color do u use for bright days? Got to get something but the Costa's in prescription are outrageously expensive. I have Cabelas , Dicks' and Academy retail stores near me.
    Brantley

2. AirForce

AirForce Moderator Staff Member

I was finally fortunate to get a pair of VA issued prescription sunglasses along with a regular pair. I have used clip on's before. For me though it was just not being able to focus on small stuff (near), seeing in the distance wasn't a problem. After a while you just learn to tie knots without being able to see them. I used the modified clinch knot. Too chicken to wear the ONLY pair of prescription sunglasses on the water, so I leave them in the truck for driving, it was more important to see the instruments on the truck clearly then tying fishing line ;) Walmart use to carry the bigger clip on lenses that covered my glasses pretty well, but I've seen then just gone back to wrap around sunglasses that has a magnifying spot in the lower corners (works very well for tying lines too), Bass Pro has those glasses

3. cq

cq Well-Known Member

I used clip-on years ago, always had bi-focal, after going to tri-focal with prescription sunglasses, difference is like day and night. Top is for distance, middle for reading and bottom was for reading blue prints, now for knot tying.

4. Major Mark

Major Mark Well-Known Member

BPS sells Cocoon brand clip ons. I have several in varying colors. They are really good polarized for sight fishing in clear water. The only thing is you almost have to go to the store to buy them for 2 reasons, 1)I never saw them on the website, 2)numerous sizes & shapes to get a close fit to your frames. I used to ue them all the time until I got several pair of WileyX glasses. Now I prefer the Wileys because of the wrap around design, and just switch to my trifocals if I need to retie a knot.

5. Scott Hammer  TOXIC

Scott Hammer TOXIC Well-Known Member

Cocoons. Any of the others don't offer wrap around protection.

6. fatrap

fatrap Well-Known Member

Something about looking through two sets of plastic lenses that made it hard to focus. VA gave me a set although I look like the Men in Black. Just bi focals. I wear trifocal glasses but they work great.

fatrap

7. dougiemac

dougiemac Guest

Let's see a pic there Tommy Lee Jones!