Fishing Line "born on date"

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis Man

Reaction score
Does anyone know if any of the line manufactures put a "born on date" or date manufactured code on their products. Looking for the newest made, when shopping.

Interesting thought. My guess is - NO!

If they did, any of the older stuff would not be purchased by anglers either because there is some made recently or simply because of the line memory and 'shelf life' problem.

While it might generate some 'buzz' and initial good advertising, I'm guessing that it would basically cause more problems than it's worth.

The whole 'born on' date with beer works good, because of it's high turnover.

Tex

i remember someone posted a how to break down the code and figure out the manufacture date for line years ago for fishing line...not sure if the archives go back that far...

mike c

It was for me when Trilene stopped producing the "Tournament Strength" line in photochromic and I was looking for people to buy it and send it to me if they could find it. We had a member here who worked for Pure Fishing and he posted the code breakdown on the box so that I could tell it's manufacture date. He was also going to hook me up with some but never did. Bottom line is that if the line you buy at the store is stored properly age doesn't become a factor until it gets years old and if they don't turn over their stock any more than that, you don't want to buy from them anyway. The biggest killer of line (other than braid) is sunlight. if the store's line display is next to a window, I would go some where else.

TOXIC

Not only sunlight Tox. Its UV light. Flouresent lighting is just as bad.

Latest posts

Back