First time boat owner

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Grote

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I just purchased my first boat last night. It's a 1994 Nitro 170TF with a 75 hp Mercury. Purchased from the original owner (retired gentleman) who took great care of the boat. He had knee surgery and gave up tournaments for golf. As a first time owner what should I be on the look out for? I read up on Nitro before I bought it and carefully checked the transom for rot and also looked for stress cracks. I have all paperwork, manuals, etc. along with a lot of extras.

Welcome to the forum Scott. I had a 93 170TF with a Johnson 115. Really not much, other than wet sanding it, polish and wax it to make it look brand new. Wiring was a wreck, so I completely gutted it and reworked it. Then sold it when a 4 stroke motor wasn't available at the time I wanted (and got a new boat). I even removed the original switch panel and custom made one so instead of 3 switches, I had 7. Motor needs to be thoroughly gone through maintenance wise. My suggestion is if you like doing your own thing, to get a Mercury OEM Service Manual, it'll be the best 85-100 bucks you've ever spent. Don at European Marine can fix you right up. http://www.europeanmarine.org/contactus.html

Welcome Scott! I'm hoping to learn from the first timers as I'm looking to get my 1st time this spring. Enjoy yourself!

Welcome!!!!! First and foremost, take your time and learn your boat. I know of a number of first time boat owners that try to start out like a pro bass fisherperson. Either damaged the boat or sold it very soon. I had a 96 170 DC w/115 hp, big step up from my flat bottom tin with a 50. Spent many a day out on the water and learned how the boat works, not how I thought it should work. Learn your boat and operation and you will be a happy person.

Latest posts

Back