First Muskie - keep and mount or C&R

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Malec

Reaction score
Started Muskie fishing and had a Strike that pulled off at the boat. Which got me thinking - Your first legal Muskie did you keep and mount or C&R. I have always been a C&R bass man, but a big Muskie on the wall is tempting.

If it's truly a big un', then mount that baby. Otherwise, wait for the right one.

My first (and only so far) 6lb plus LM, is still swimming in Lake Murray.

Tex

Take a good photo and length and girth measurements and consider getting a "Repo" made....today's reproductions are as good as a skin mount and you get the satisfaction of releasing a monster fish to fight again....and the thrill of showing and bragging to your buddies who see the mount,.."Top THAT!!!"...LOL....

But as TT says,...if it's truely a fish of a lifetime...then go for it!! Just don't mount the first 42-48" Ski you catch.....a real "trophy" will be 55" or longer!! They get HUGE in St.Clair!! Good luck in your search!!!

Caught my first last year in Canada. Did the catch-photo-measure-release thing. The fiberglass replica should be arriving any day now.

Bill

I agree with Mac and Bill. C&R with a replica mount. There is nothing wrong with keeping fish, but the replicas look better and last longer.

Also, look into your local Muskies Inc chapter. It is a great organization.

Rich D

My first Muskie was 28 inches and i C&R. My biggest ever was 44 inches C&R and I lost the fish in the boat.. Yes in the boat!! I was on my canoe and it slipped out of my hands while measuring and just went over board I have never been able to forgive myself for that one, the part that sucks the most no picture!!!! :(.

mount a replica, mark it on a map, and come back for her next year! Don't kill a great sport for a memory that can be made from plastic!

daver

Mark...I've had only one fish mounted and I wish I had let it go...Tthe mount seemed right at the time, but as time goes by, some good photo's would have been enough.....Just my opinion!

Mike L.

I'm with Mac, get a replica made and release that bad boy. Just remember take pics from a couple different angles, weigh it, take length and girth measurements to help the taxidermist get as close as possible to the real thing. You can't tell replicas from real mounts anymore. Also, when you take a fish, you're not just taking that one fish, but removing the good genetics from the fishery. That's why both of my 6+ lb smallies are still out there and my 8.5 largemouth. I'll get replicas made some day.

A replica lasts longer than a skin mount....

I say "Let em go, let em grow!" That is Bob Brunner's famous line.

Mini

I still haven't caught the biggest Largemouth of my life, which I hope to be in excess of 12lbs, but my ultimate dream is to hook up with one of those pi$$ed off yankee alligators. Man that's got to be a thrill. I would get a replica.

Harpo

Latest posts

Back