First For Me Today

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Hammer TOXIC

Reaction score
So, I'm back in old Virginney and I think to myself (after I get the mile long Honey-do list done) What else do I need to do. Looked at my jeep and checked the mileage. It's been driven a grand total of 95 miles since Thanksgiving of last year!!:lol::lol::lol: Oil probably has 300 miles on it. Motor has 276k. As much as it pains me I changed the oil. I have never been a believer of that "time" for an oil change regardless of the mileage. I never understood how oil can "break down" when it's not getting hot and moved through the crankcase. Somebody want to enlighten me.....or at least make me feel good about laying out on the cccccold concrete changing it? This is the first time I have ever changed oil because of time vs miles....ever!! The battery was dead as well but the charger overnight fixed that. Threw some seafoam in the fuel and topped her off. I'll be driving it to DC on Wednesday.

TOXIC

Tox,

i would change it for sure, not worth taking the chance o motor oil thats been sitting for over a year. In that timeframe in the crankcase it can collect a lot of moisture. With that few miles on it that would be my biggest fear. Thankfully it has been used very little but had you put thousands of miles on that oil id bet it would have turned into a nice sludge ball when sitting for that long. The other thing is when oil is used is turns slightly acidic, i would not want to leave that in my motor personally. If your going to let it sit change the oil before you park it and it wont turn to sludge.

i have seen first hand what oil can look like when its sat in the crankcase. My last motorcycle i forgot to change the oil before i put it away and with just a few hundred miles on it when i warmed it up then cracked the drain plug the following spring the oil was thick with globs of hot pudding like stuff in it. I never had a drop of sludge in it before that and i flushed it out that day and never had another problem with it.

Wouldn't the moisture evaporate when the oil got hot? Nonetheless, I put a can of flush in the oil and ran it for about 20 min. Drained it....looked a little dark but no globs....and refilled with fresh. Supposed to sleet and snow tonight so she may get used tomorrow. That jeep was the first vehicle I ever bought new off the showroom floor. Got it in Medway, MA. I sure miss drivin it!! It's been in the mountains, logging trails, the beach....everywhere. I even floated it across a pond........almost!!

TOXIC

Tox - Would you go that long before changing the lower unit fluid in that 225 Merc? You take care of it and it takes care of you! :p

Mike, just back for the week. I'll be heading back South Sunday. Then back here in late February for work and I will also be at Bass Pro in Hampton, VA.

William, I am normally very anal about maintenance. The oil in the Jeep has been changed every 3,000 miles since day 1. I just never understood the time thing.

TOXIC

Latest posts

Back