First Boat--1999 Nitro 800 Lxs Dc W/ 115 Hp Tracker 2 Stroke

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derek Morehouse

Reaction score
First time boat owner. Got a used Nitro. Took it out for the first time and discovered some minor things that I would like to get fixed. Trim gauge stopped working, speedometer didn't work, and motorguide trolling motor footpedal needs to be adjusted. Any info anyone is willing to give up would be appreciated.

I assuming the trim system works and just the gauge is faulty, check all wires, connections and fuses. If they are intact, start checking all the wires in the system: First start with the wires at the back of the gauge. Remove them, clean them and the terminals. Reattach. Use a continuity tester or 12v test light to check if the ground is good because grounds are the root of all gauge evil.
Check, clean all wires around the pump and solenoids. If the gauge works, perfect. If not, the gauge may be faulty.
I found the following post on another board which may help in your testing adventures:
you test the trim gauge by grounding out the send terminal on the gauge to see if it responds properly, you test the trim sender with an ohmmeter to see if the resistances are correct when the motor is in the UP and DOWN positions, you confirm continuity in the SEND wire between the sender and the gauge, and lastly you confirm that the sender and gauge are both properly grounded. These tests should tell you if you need to get a new gauge, a new sender, or just fix your existing wiring/ground connections.
For the speedometer pull the tube at the gauge and blow air to see if it is clogged.
Hope this helps.

If you get the speedometer working it will clog up again. You would be better off to buy a good GPS depth finder if you want to know your speed. I know that having all of your gauges working is what you are after, but after you do this two or three times you will see what a waste of time. I don't know why this is even put on a boat.

Latest posts

Back