Favorite Topwater / Ones you would buy ?

• Thread starter Glenn DesOrmeaux
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TritonGlenn

Reaction score
I've got a few favorites:

In the hard bait catagory:

1) Yellow Magic popper - the larger 1/2 oz model - Baby Bass color

2) Heddon Super Spook Jr. - Okie Shad

Ones I would buy:

Yellow Magic 1/2 oz model - in "Japanese Shad" color - If I could find them.

"Ken Pop" topwater - any color, any condition... anyone have any?

In the soft bait catagory:

Swamp Donkey frog lure

Bass Pro Shops XPS Tender Toad (after changing out the hook)

Ones I would buy:

I want to find some Cane Toads this year, and give those a shot. It's one of the only soft frogs I haven't tried yet.

So... how about you?

All the best,

Glenn

I'm from the old school. I like the Zara Spook top water serices. All the bass I've every caught was with this lure.

Barry from La.:)

I love my SOB Lures 'Lil Pop' lures. Caught some really nice good fish with these.

Firetiger

sob_lilpop.jpg

Perch

sob_lilpop_2.jpg

Tex :D

For hard baits i like the Lucky Craft Sammy in ghost minnow. The smallies cant leave that one alone.

Jim B - I bought a bunch of Sammy's because I liked how they looked. My Super Spook Jr.s are much easier to walk, and I've caught a ton of fish with them. I've got a half tackle box full of unused Sammy's. Maybe if I used them more often....

Oh yeah, one I forgot - Bulldog Popper - discontinued. :(

All the best,

Glenn

Zara Spook, (discontinued) Bandit Spitz, Tiny Torpedo and poppers:cool:

Yo Zuri Banana Boats in clown color. Drives 'em wild. The are hard to find, they may be discontinued........

Rico Rio, Holy crap you think Lucky Craft are expensive. This is a $20 popper. But boy do they work. My wife and I once fished with a guide who tied one on for her. I was fishing a regular PopR. We had a school of bass that were pinning shad up against a rock wall. You could see boils all over. She caught about 4 to 1 with that Rico. Needless to say, I went out and bought 1. But that's all I can afford.

NoCAL

TEE,

You know... on small lakes, like my old apartment complex lake, or the one in my neighborhood currently, that Jitterbug actually gets some awesome blow-ups. I've had days when they wouldn't touch a popper or walking bait. Throw a Jitterbug and retrieve it really slowly - glub, glub, glub... and holy cow!!! Explosion! Particularly at night - a black Jitterbug worked really slowly - awesome night bait. But for some reason... I just don't do well with them while tournament fishing during the day.

All the best,

Glenn

Black is by far the best color for night fishin' ponds or gravel pits;)

The new Cicada topwater lure from BPS are also awesome...especially in the summer.

Like you said, very slowly....glub glub WHAM!:cool:

Baby torpedos and zara puppy. Also a big buzz bait brand is not important as long as I can crank it slow.

Buzzbaits. I've caught a lot of very nice fish on buzzbaits. I think I prefer the El Cheapo generic kind. They make just as much noise and I will throw them up into places where I might not a 5 dollar bait. I also like the little Hart double blade buzzbaits. I goof with them most of the time like drilling holes in the blades, crimping the rivet, and thinning out the skirt.

As far a topwater plugs go I guess I prefer Spooks and Rapala Skitterwalks, also Pop-R's and Chugbugs can produce at certain times. I stepped up and plunked down the 10 bucks for an Excalibur Zell Pop, a while back but haven't caught anything on it yet. I've got a couple of Lucky Craft and Diawa topwater baits but I get too skittish about throwing them up into a place where a bass would really live. Anyway, one of the biggest bass I ever caught on a topwater plug was on a Hula Popper that I bought off the bargin table for a buck or two. I do okay with Horney Toads. I fish some Bronze-eye Frogs and Swamp Donkey but not hugely successful with those. I get some violent strikes but few hookups.

I also like wake baits....not true topwaters but along that line.

Harpo

I like Horny Toads and I have some new ones to try this year that are suppose to have better leg action.It is a Sizmic frog/toad,also like Big PopR's,and I have a favorite buzzbait,don't know who makes it.It has a big blade,and a flat head,also has a cable on each side of the head that runs to the back of the hook,and each cable has a small willow blade.Makes plenty noise,runs straight back to you,comes through anything without getting hungup,and catches fish.

My partner and I won a tournement by about 6 lbs. out of a 14ft aluminum boat using grass frogs (from Heddon I think). I don't see them very often anymore.

Gene

Sammi topwater in shad. Zara Spook in shad or any neutral color. Have had good luck with a few of the small, shallow running BP XPS roundbody lures. And a Pflueger minnow jerkbait in silver and black that the spotted bass seem to hit consistently.

Yamamoto Suguoi Splash (popper)

BPS Topknocker

SPRO- Prop 25 & Chug Minnow (has flared gills and is red on the inside of the gills)

I really prefer a buzzbait for topwater action but sometimes you gotta slow it down.

TOXIC

Latest posts

Back