Ez Troll Tray Install 2001 700lx

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexBass

Reaction score
Posted this on my post in "introduce yourself" and figured that was the wrong spot for this info so moving it to the hopefully proper forum page.

Yesterday bit the bullet, cut a big ol' hole in my deck for an EZ Troll tray...nerve racking as heck, most of the time was second, third, and fourth guessing measurements...but I was really just freaking about a big hole in the deck.

Managed to miss every support, brace etc and turned out way better than I thought it would. Not being able to see what you're cutting until after you knock the center loose is less fun than fishing, that's for sure.

When I was planning the layout, I measured from the bolts for my RAM mount to the side wall/support of the port rod locker, and basically had to guess on the starboard side as I had nothing to measure from.

The edge of the seat post support (feels like 3/4" decking) was about 11" up from center of post hole. I went 13" for the back edge of the cut, probably could have gotten away with 12" and left a little more glass at the front edge by the Nitro plate(where TM plugs in).

I was going to do some measurements from supports to edges of cut to help someone else that may be considering it. BUT, if you get your boats center line marked accurately, lay the template out, and make sure you drill your pilot hole for the aft edge at no less than 11.5 inches, you will miss the front edge of your center storage box.

It's really that simple, just took me a whole day of hand wringing, and could have really done it all in 45 minutes. I read a few threads where folks cut down into that support wall to make the pan fit, not necessary for me, and would have placed the pan way too close too my seat and would have been a very odd placing...and I found out I am no artist with a jig saw...
20170426_194150.jpg
20170426_194238.jpg

Attachments

• 20170426_195913.jpg
    20170426_195913.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 216
Reactions: cq
Finished up last night. Drilled a 1/2 hole in leading wall of middle storage and ran drain tube through there and secured it so that the end of the hose is permanently fixed next to manufacturers drain hole for the storage box. Ran the hose along the sidewall under the carpet of the storage box. I've only had water over my bow 2-3 times in 20 yrs of owning boats, I stay on the porch if wind is over 12 -15, and don't travel far if it is close to 12-15. Not a fan of grinding in wind and chop and don't fish tourneys.

Great project, nicely done.

My only beef is with their billboard advertisement on the product itself. I'd black sharpie that in a heartbeat.

The logo is definitely begging for attention lol. And the 5200 on all the screws stands out a bit as well. Only have gotten to run the boat once after my install, it truly makes a difference on back and leg cramps/fatigue. Got back home and was under the trailer doing a visual (trolled onto a stump earlier that day and was checking for gel coat issues) and noticed the metal clamp on one of my leaf springs had worked itself almost to the end of the springs. Started to remove the springs and replace myself, got about a 1/4 way into and decided it was above my pay grade lol. 17 yr old trailer and had some stubborn nuts and bolts. Took it to a local trailer/frame outfit and they are replacing leafs on both sides, repacking hubs, replacing the trailer plug (i let it come loose and ground it down while driving...not the first time...prob won't be the last) and some corrosion repair. Better safe than sorry when it comes to trailers and Tx heat/highways.

There's gotta be a "better mousetrap" when it comes to flat, 4 way trailer plugs. Those things suck.

Yessir...went to pick up the boat/trailer. They were 6 days late getting it back and still didn't have all the work on the ticket comlpleted when I got there. I called them as soon as they said they were behind, reminded them we had very bad storms coming, and to please move the boat under cover..since it should have been ready days before. I go to pick it up, new leafs, new hangers, new hubs/bearings, and it's looking good. I notice "the tires look low, and those are brand new"..put my hand on the deck to lean don and take a look, hand gets soaked. Look int he boat....shin deep water in the cabin area, completely full bilge area, all batteries, onboard charger...and TM foot control in my newly installed EZ Troll tray...took over 15 minutes to fully drain out, and flooded the dealerships driveway. I was PIS**D OFF! Let it all dry out for 48 hours, put dielectric grease on pretty much any and every connection, lubed some spots that had been submerged for days, and fired everything up in the driveway. So far, so good....that poor service manager had to stand there and listen to me go off about the water in the boat, but so far no repairs or reimbursement needed. But hey.....boat ownership is fun, ain't it ? Lol!

Latest posts

Back