Ethanol sux

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob G.

Reaction score
I bought a 2006 Triton earlier this year and noticed that the fuel hose to the primer bulb and to the motor had the grey Mercury hose with red print. The previous owner had all service work done at a local boat dealer. I thought it was odd that they left this fuel hose in the boat. The fuel hose from the tank is black. Made my last trip on the lake today to make sure all Seafoam and stabilizer got through everything good before I winterize. I decided to replace all of the fuel hose from the tank to the motor. Here is a pic from a 20" piece of fuel hose to the primer bulb. I replaced that too. The delaminated inner liner is still rubbery, hopefully I caught it in time. Oh yea, ethanol sux!

FuelHose.jpg

I just replaced mine last week (2003 901)and it looked exactly the same! I never have used ethanol. I replaced my fuel filter/water separator and did notice a light brown sludgy buildup in the bottom. I think Mercury should have done a recall on that fuel line. Chris F.

Yes it does, and they are talking about possibly going to E-15. I can't wait. I struggle to buy "real gas" but can still do it. I think the web site to find if you have any locally is pure-gas.org

I replaced the same fuel hose on my Nitro last year after my local ethanol-free gas station had to switch over to ethanol. The hose I removed was clean.

The pic I posted above is similar to pics all over the internet with that Mercury fuel hose after use with ethanol. Looking at the red print on the fuel hose in my Triton has been bugging me since May. Glad I made it through the season with no issues.

bob, the title of your post says it all.......

I believe i had similar on my 2008 at one point after i had it about a year.

Bob B will be able to tell you if you need to worry or not.

around here in the north east its everywhere, cant avoid it at all. The only place i have found real gas is on the water at Winni in NH, 3 hours away..... I got one of those test kits and i test the gas before it goes into my boat. I have found some way higher and some much lower than 10%.

Great pic of a bad situation Bob. Makes for a great memory tool for everyone to always treat your fuel and never mix ethanol and non-ethanol. Forgetting either one will eventually plug jets and injectors, or worse, particularly with a section of the old hose in line. Glad you caught it early, but I'd still double my Quickleen for the next couple tanks to make sure there's no residue in bad locations and check/change the filter. Good luck! ;)

Dan,

The next couple of tanks will be next year, I'm done for this year. I doubled the dose of Seafoam two trips ago and added the storage amount of Marine Stabil. I ran Seafoam and stabilizer all summer.

Sorry to hear the boating season is over for you Bob, but if I know you the hunting season is just firing up. Have a good one and I'll bet that Triton will be ready to blow your hair back come the Spring thaw. ;)

Update: When I replaced the fuel hose, I also replaced the primer bulb. I cut the old one open and it had some brown crud in it. The VST housing also had brown crud pieces in the bottom when I removed the fuel/water separator filter. Cleaned all of that out and decided to rebuild the pulse pump since the brown stuff passed through it. The pump was clean, but rebuilt it anyways. I used the primer bulb to pump fuel through the new hose before connecting to the pump. Motor fired up right away on the muffs and no fuel leaks. Finished winterizing and removed the batteries.

Thanks to BobB and Mark Lewis at USA Marine for great advice and quick part deliveries. :)

Latest posts

Back