Engine won't crank

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Squyres

Reaction score
Hello to all,

Yesterday I was perparing to go out fishing this week. My normal habit is to fire the engine for a second before I go so that I will not be on the ramp holding up others. Yesterday I tried to fire the engine and it would not fire. Cranks as normal but will not fire.

First thing I did was check the kill switch...it was fine. Then I turned on the key and I got the one beep that says the alarms are working. Then after a second or two, there were 4 beeps. After some research, found that 4 beeps either indicates water in the fuel or no oil.

I pulled the fuel filter and poured the contents into a glass jar. No water was visible. The remote oil tank is 3/4 full and the tank attached to the engine is full to the top. I pulled all the spark plugs thinking maybe one was fouled but they all looked pretty good.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can try next? I am trying to avoid a trip to the shop if it is something simple. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

first off where do you "fire" up your engine before launching? While still onthe trailer out of the water????

NEVER fire up an engine with a dry water pump. EVER. The one to two seconds you run it, you take MONTHS out of the life of your impeller. Do that as a "courtesy" and you might as well put a new impeller in every month.

In the driveway with muffs on....but thanks for the suggestions on how to fix it.

I have a 2008 189 Sport with a Mercury 150 EFI motor. The 2nd time I took it out I had the same thing happen. For me, the solution was to make sure the starting battery was fully, completely charged. By my charger, the battery was 85% charged when I checked afterward, but that was enough to keep it from igniting. Worth trying if you haven't already.

I was able to get it to fire by manually opening the air intake under the plastic cover at the top of the motor (after removing the cowl.) It would fire and run as long as I manipulated the intake. But as soon as I let go, it died. Charging the battery solved the problem, and I now do so before every trip out.

That may be something. I had the radio playing for quite a while while working in the garage. I plugged in the charger last night so will try again today with a fully charged battery. A mechanic I e-mailed said it needed at least 10.5 volts to fire. I hope it is that easy.

Check the censor . Had that happen and it turned out the pin connector disconnected when pulling off the engine cover.

Sorry to be dense but which sensor and where? Have only had the boat 2 years and learning things as I go along.

I have the 150 opti and it is where the latchis on the front. When the hood was latched back on it disengaged the 4 or 5 prong plug.

Sorry, it would crank but not turn over. Believe it was the fuel sensor. Would also give me the beep code.

Yes the throttle is in neutral. It looks like I may just have to swallow my pride and take it in to be scanned...BLAH! I apprciate all the suggestions but hate seeing it sit in the garage not being used.

New to this site just bought a 1987 bass tracker engine cranks up every time but when i have it wide open for about 3 mins or so it's surges really bad then runs great. I haven't tried any additives yet going to try seafoam any other recommendations?

I had something similar to this some years ago with my Stratos/Evinrude. It was the connection to the battery with the clamps.

1) They have to be exceptionally clean.

2) They have to be exceptionally 'tight'.

The tech/mechanic that helped me, told me that I almost couldn't get them tight enough.

I replaced all of my battery connectors, cleaned them, torqued them down, and then tested. Fixed the problem.

After all that, I then sprayed each of the connectors with 'the purple protecting spray' and from that point on it was good.

I fought this problem on and off for 2 months, before taking it to the shop.

Tex

Latest posts

Back