Effect of prop torque on boat loading

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Wagner

Reaction score
Hi,

I have searched a lot of posts about boat loading, and posted some myself on the old NTOWS site, but I have never found anything about how prop torque affects how the boat goes on the trailer. Here is why I am asking this- when I winch the boat (Nitro Z7) in with no power loading, it goes on perfect 99% of the time. The boat is sitting on all 6 bunks exactly as it should. I have found the perfect depth for the trailer to be in the water, with the two rear bunks just peeking out of the water a little.

However, when I try to power load, the rear of the boat is always shifted too far to the left side, so that the boat is not properly seated on all 6 bunks. Every time, it is off exactly the same way by exactly the same amount, so I don't believe it is just a matter of me learning to drive it on straight. Because the prop is right hand rotating, under power the front of the boat has a tendency to go to the right, and the back of the boat to the left. Could this be why the rear of the boat is shifted to the left on the trailer?

I'm wondering if anyone else has ever encountered this, or found any solutions. The obvious answer would be to leave more bunks exposed, but I'm not sure that's going to work without gunning the motor like crazy to try to get the boat up to the ball. I'm not sure that's good for the motor, and it is frowned upon at a lot of the ramps on northern lakes. Any thoughts?

Mike

I have owned three new Nitro boats,Z-6 AND 2 Z-8'S. None of three fit on the trailer correctly. I figure that tracker just dont have the bunks position exactly where they need to be on the trailer. All three of my boats rubbed on the starboard side fender. This is my opinion not actual proven scientific facts.

It sounds like you are not trimmed properly for loading and/or too much thrust is being applied. Your bow should be lifting slightly on a power load to allow the rear chines to settle on the bunks while sliding up to the bow stop. Next time you are at the rear of your trailered rig on land notice the room you have between the bottom of your skeg and the ground. It will give you an idea of how much trim range you have for a good power load. That holds true on the ramps while under water unless you are sinking in mud, loading in thick grass, etc. Trimming down more and controlling your throttle should alleviate your problem. Good luck!

Thanks for the replies. I will try changing the trim next time.

Or you could be like me and come in a little "hot". I knew exactly how deep my trailer needed to be and I would come in at just the right speed to trim up and hit neutral. I could coast up to the bow roller about 90% of the time. Not for the squeemish though.:p

Now that does sound like the perfect way to load a boat, although I think I'm going to need a few more years seat time before I get the courage to give it a try!

I have guide boards on mine, so coming in a little hot works for me, I have no worries about going off either side of the trailer with the bow, its going straight as long as I hit the hole :) Its got some fuss around it :rolleyes::D

Latest posts

Back