'Driving the boat in rough water'. Technique tips requested.

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Transplant

Reaction score
Okay. We have always heard of handling characteristics of boats in rougher water. With the other thread metioning 'out of the water' scenario, thought it was time to share with others.

Specifically, what do you find works for you (or really doesn't work for you) in rough water? This is meant to be a 'how to' type thread. Given that we will probably get some good feedback, I'll offer to collect up the info and put it in the grab bag section upon completion. Be sure and give some spec's on your boat, for reference.

Here's my spec's, and recent experience (both what I found and what I learned).

1995 Stratos 278 DC (dual console) - just short of 18'. 150hp Evinrude, no jack plate.

I was on Kerr recently when the winds were constant at 35mph (Friday), and 25mph on Saturday. Both days, gusts were a lot worse.

Heading into the wind. I found that I got my best control and response, getting up on plane and pushing into the waves around 32-35 mph, with the nose fairly well plowing through the waves. I found that if I tried to go faster, or tried to trim up the motor too much, I lost considerable control. The boat handled fairly well, and we stayed somewhat dry.

Heading with the wind. It's going to be a banger. When you are going with the wind/waves, the bow will tend to ride up with every wave. It may not do this as much with a longer boat, but with mine it does. I just can't seem to overcome the 'tomahawk chop' action. I have tried a number of different speeds, but haven't found anything that really works for me. Not brave enough to try 40-45mph plus, and trimmed out. Also, I find that on occasion, my prop 'loses traction' in the chop and I just need to shut down and start over.

Going crosswind/crosswave. It's a wet ride - period. Again, I try to keep the speed moderate, and trimmed up a little more than heading into the wind. If I keep it trimmed down too much, I get much more wave action/wet spray into the boat.

Looking forward to hearing some other experiences and/or suggestions.

Tex

i don't have a lot to add, you pretty much described my aproach.

i have a 03 882dc W/115 4stroke.

go with the chop i am willing to trim it up and run. the 882 handles the ride very well. and we stay very dry.

while going against the wind i am not so brave, i had a really bad experience as a non boater, we were running around 50+ in threes at winnipisauki. not to big compaired to the bigger lakes you guys see. but big for us. we hit a swell that we never say coming. the boat (896 savage w/150) launched straight up and landed flat on the hull. gauges fell out of the dash and there were some nasty stress cracks when we left.

so i will ussually bow up and plow through the waves staying dry and safe.

as far as having to run with the waves side ways, i will tack like i was sailing. running with and against the swells untill i get close enough to the destination to run staight at were i need to go.

GregD

I devide rough water into two catagories. Boat generated and wind generated. I run in both pretty often and they take two completly different approaches.

The boat generated stuff i run into in my opinion is the worst. On lakes like Winni in NH here are so many big boats that the water gets very rough. Im not talking about running into a wake or two. What heppens is there are so many boats that you get a constant chop on the water sometimes as great as 2-3' chop on a busy day. The chop is like ski moguls, some big, some small and its everywhere. Little mountians of water all random. What i do to run this stuff is i trim in some and and use the throttle a lot and steer around the bigger ones. My boat generally runs dry in these, i just need to avoid landing on top of the waves with the flat part of the hull, it will really jar the boat. I try to keep my speed in the 30's what its bad.

When it comes to wind i do what you do going into it, i just get on top and go if the waves arent too big or too far spread apart. If they are too big i slow way down and go over them one at a time, using the throttle to keep the boat under control. I will get a bit wet doing that but ill take wet over beat up any day. When it comes to running with them i find its the easiest ride if you do it right. If the waves are small say under 1.5' i just floor it and go trimmed in a bit, but if they are big i slow way down and take it easy. What i do is i trim in some and use the throttle on and off a bit. as i go over the crest i back off the throttle to keep the bow down then back on it quick to keep the hull from slamming into the next wave. This is where a hot foot is vary handy by allowing quick throttle changes while keeping both hands on the wheel. If you do it right the bow shouldnt come up much at all and the vee will knife thru the waves nicely giving a soft dry ride. As far as going crosswave i havent found a way not to get wet. I try to run with them or into them as much as possible.

I also find the prop makes a HUGE in rough water. The stock Merc Tempest Plus that came with my boat would do like you said, loose all bite when you need it most then crash into a wave. That can make for a really rough ride. I still run the same prop but the blueprint/cup job i had done really makes it bite really well in the rough stuff. I dont experience any slipping anymore at all(unless i get totally airborne) and for a 3 blade its very impressive becuase it outbites an unmodified trophy 4 blade i have used in the past.

The water here on the St. Johns river gets real rough, when it does I just take it slow, or if I want to go fishing I choose a ramp close to my fishing area so I dont have to run far...

One thing to add to all of the good advice above: Put your lifejackets on ;)

You got It Tex....I am so lucky to have a big water boat,,Waves are never to much on my lakes and I can pretty much go any direction at any speed....JR

MO BASS, good tip on tiying things down. i killed a portable humingbird the first year with boat. that was flying around like a kite in the front deck before i put it in the storage hatch.

life jackets, always a good idea.

GregD

If you run in big water a lot, the FIRST thing you should do is properly equip your boat. That means installing a hotfoot and trim on the column and a GPS (so you don't have to look for landmarks, reefs or marker buoys). You should have 2 hands on the wheel at ALL times in rough water and should also have control of the throttle at all times as well. That can only be achieved with the above mentioned set up. Also the hotfoot gives faster throttle response.

Move your heavier gear to the rear compartments, but not so much that the transom/stern can get swamped in following seas. You just want your bow slightly lighter to help prevent spearing a wave. Spearing waves is expensive and potentially dangerous. I have seen boats and people severly hurt from spearing waves.

Also, only drive within your ability. If you don't know how to run big water any faster and only feel comfortable at 30 mph, then stick with that speed.

Keep your eyes on the water at all times. The times I've speared one was when I took my eyes off the water for a second to speak to a rider, or look for something. Because of this, I keep my GPS mounted where it is highly visible, right next to my graph, as close to the console as possible. That way I only have to glance down at it for a split second to get my bearings and then get my eyes right back on the water where they belong.

As for how to approach the waves, it's been gone over again and again. Nothing makes up for seat time. And remember that shorter hulls, anything under say 19', will be more likely to beat you up. The longer and wider the hull, the better. As the transom is leaving one save, the bow is usually already on the next wave, preventing the boat from falling in between waves. The falling is what causes spearing and the hard crashing into waves.

If you have a 17' hull and less than a 150 HP, you really ought to consider if you shouldn't find a protected bay/cove or a smaller body of water to fish for the day.

Oh yeah:

Ranger R83 (18'10" w/ 175 efi)

Hot foot

Trim on the column

GPS

Repitched 3 blade Tempest prop (still blows out occassionally)

Soon to have a 6" jackplate which also helps in rough water.

Yep, i stow everything if its really rough.

I always wear my life jacket, i feel naked driving the boat without it.

Another thing to think about is electronics, i stow them too because one good wave and its gone. I have a flasher in dash for depth and my handelg for gps in case i need to take my lowrance down. I also put a bopunce buster on the trolling motor and a strap to keep the motor itself from pounding.

I'm in agreement with all of you as well. Life jacket on, everything strapped down or put away and hold on :D

I try not to take any side wakes if at all possible, but if I have to, it's slow and easy. The only thing different (with the wind at my back, going with the waves) is I tend to run it all out. I don't have stress cracks to worry about, and the boat is light enough to stay on top of the waves (for the most part).

Like what Rob said... it's seat time. Not so sure on the 17' hull and less than 150hp comment though :D

WOW you could write a book on this subject.....I have driven in some conditions that scare me....I hate doing it, but in a tournament situation sometimes you dont have a sound choice.....

Best advice is to slow down, make constant trim, throttle and steering adjustments....look WELL ahead to anticipate the rogue waves....try to keep the bow up and the prop in. If you are coming off a big wave, and you dont have fear of spearing the next one, throttle down so you dont power your landing.

In following seas, power up the front and ease down the back side. At times you may want to turn the boat when cresting to slide down the backside.

Head on, try to get on top if your boat is long enough to span the wave crests, if not keep the bow up and plow them.

Also remember that tacking is a great option, you dont have to go directly from point a to point b in a straight line. Take what the lake gives you and if that means heading in the wrong direction to quarter (tacking) then do so, after a bit turn opposite 90 degrees and continue zig zagging your way home.

Most important to have your life jacket on, kill switch securely attached to the jacket, all items stowed securely, a bounce buster AND strap for the other end of trolling motor. Manual and auto bilge pumps. As stated a hot foot and steering wheelk trim add to the ability to do this. A hydraulic jackplate does too, you can drive the motor deeper into the water to help with eliminating prop slip......

When you do make it to the ramp, kiss the ground and CHECK ALL BOLTS (especially transom bolts and trolling motor) and tighten accordingly. Also make sure your battery trays and charger are still securely attached. I cant tell you how many battery trays I go through.....

A whole bunch to talk about, but the biggest mistake I see people make is running at one RPM, trim and steering straight. You have to drive in the rough stuff, it isnt easy, but once you get in sync with the waves it will become easier.....keep looking ahead. The boat generated "bath tub" style waves can be unreal. That is what the Miracle Mile is on the Detroit River some reaching as high as 10 feet from root to crest....

Mini

All i can add is make sure you dont have a drink in your cupholder, a friend of mine was almost knocked unconscious a few years ago when he hit a big wave and it hit him right in the bridge of his nose and it temporary blinded him from the tears, and he took a few waves over the bow trying to slow down.

mike

Nothing and I mean nothing prepares you for rough water running. There are some "rules" (as mentioned above) but there is nothing that will replace seat time and you have to have the fortitude to go out in the mess and give it a try. When they cancelled the Everstart on Champlain due to high waves, I was out practicing in them. It took me the better part of the time we were in Michigan (following Mini) to get the rythum and I could almost run with him. I always shudder when I read the "run the tops" advice. Only the most experienced should EVER try to run that way. That is how 90% of the drivers spear waves. Taking a wave over the bow is one thing, SPEARING one is totally different. When CIII and I were on the Potomac in really nasty stuff, I bellied her back. If all else fails get the nose up and plow your way home (or wait it out somewhere). There are way too many variables...following seas (you have to look BEHIND you sometimes), rogue waves, and so on there are no 2 situations that are the same.

Safety First Always. Kill Switch and PFD.

TOXIC

Just a little side story to add to the advice of ALWAYS LOOKING AHEAD....

I was out on Erie with a buddy, the ex-General Manager of BPS Detroit, and we were headed home right into the sunset.

It was a little hazy, and the waves were about 2-3 ft. coming quartering on the port side. They were spaced perfectly and we were up and running on top of them for about 20 miles at 50mph.

We got near the mouth of the Detroit River, and we were pretty relaxed and not paying a whole lot of attention when all of a sudden.......a freighter wake!!! We couldn't see the ship due to the haze, but when we hit that wake at 50mph, we launched approx. 8-10 ft. out of the water and landed hard right at the bottom of the other wake and up and over that one before we even realized what happened....we didn't spear, luckily, but that's the hardest I've ever landed on anything, including several hundred skydives!!!

We both pissed blood for several days, and we definitley learned a lesson....no matter how experienced you are....PAY ATTENTION.

You never know when you're going be in a rough water situation. A couple of weeks ago when my son and I were at Lake Fork we got tested just a bit. Early in the morning we cross the main lake while it was fairly calm and fished our way into the back of a long cove. I could tell the wind had come up but wasn't really aware of how much until we got to the mouth of the cove to back to the ramp. The wind was straight out of the north at around 25 mph and we had to go northwest and it was white capping pretty bad. We have a standing rule that when ever we are on the big motor we both wear our jackets and the kill switch is hooked up, so we strapped everything down, turned our caps around and headed into it. I know my little PT-185 with the 50 hp motor is no big water boat but I am always amazed at how well it handles in rough water. I started out rather slow but found the faster I went the better it got. We banged our way back to the ramp with bigger glass rigs flying by us so smooth the passengers looked like they were at a tea party. We made it just fine though and I feel more confident to tackle some of the bigger lakes like Grand and Eufala that I have always shyed away from before....in good weather of course.

Harpo

The only wave I ever speared was in a pontoon boat!! That's right, a party barge!! Crossed a wake a full throttle and 4 people (12 on board) decided to get up and move to the other side of the barge (a 23 footer) pushing the nose and front deck under. I submarined it!! Powered it in to the 1/2 way point before I could get off the throttle!! So much so that my wife's Grandma floated off the front deck in her chair!! There was no one to go in after her, they all dove after the beer coolers. I guess they alll figured she had a long life (83 yrs old) and they needed to get the beer before it got warm.:p

Don't worry, I pulled her in (but I made her grab a cooler on the way)!!:lol:

TOXIC

Ditto Goff. Tuck your motor under and use your plate. Use a good plate. (2 piece) Paralifts can can pretzel in big water. (I found out first hand. LOL!) Dropping to a smaller pitch prop can be extremely helpful with control. Most of all, don't let it stress you. (Big Water) Recognize that you're in it for the long haul, either getting out to your spot and/or getting back. Travel with safety in mind over the Tournament clock. Take your time and always be careful.

Great stuff guys. I'll pull together in an article, and then send it to several to critique. When done, we'll post it up.

If anyone has anything else, chime in. Would like to hear from some 'Tin Men', if possible.

Tex

I have a pro165 and I do get into rough water mostly at lake Wyle from boat traffic. Slow is the only way for me with everything tied down. Most of the time I'm off this lake when the big boys go out to play.

Thats a good post... Nothing can replace seat time and common sense...

Keep the motor tucked in and use your head.....

Good info!!!

Oh I have speared a few in my day.....and trust me you DO NOT want to power it up to get the water in the bilge area....I almost lost one stern first while the boat was full to the gunwales when the water shifted aft.....

If you dont think you can handle the situation, dont risk it. Fishing is not worth your life.

Mini

This is great stuff, being new to the glass side I have a lot to learn in a short time. I made Randy drive in our tx the Saturday before last, he has lots more seat time and knows the water. I saw some ugly as a non-boater last year in the BASS opens from fishing Erie with Woo Daves in 6ft seas and was just amazed at how he handled the water in his 929, I was also air born in a 21ft Triton on the Hudson because the driver failed to see a barge wake, driving 70 mph in the rain with no glasses.. Going as a boater this year will be a challange at best, Erie, Champlain and Onieda. No guts no glory.

BF

Well...I figured there would be a few more sarcastic answers here than what there are....leave it to Tox...LOL. Auctually, whne my dad and I fish, I do most of the pileting ouf our rig (99 Nitro 911) this thing is a boneified big water boat which does help but before this we had a 1989 20 ft Procraft with a 200 Merc on it, this boat was a lot narrower and a little shorter than what we have now. That boat was a hand full in rough water, a boat of that age did not have a hotfoot, jackplate, trim on the column, ect. So I got used to driving that boat with one hand on the wheel other on the throttle and thumb on the trim button even in the roughest waters. I guess I have a lot of driving experience when it comes to boats, surely not as much as some of the rest of you guys however I can hold my own. Now with rough water, I useually put the jackplate all the way down, trim it up as far as I dare to keep the keel still in contact with the water and yet be able to run fairly quick. As soon as I get in synch with the waves, I pin it and run till something different catches my eye such as a lonely whitecap or bigger looking wave then I put the jackplate down, and ease off the throttle. I have a few things I do when running big water:

1) Strap everything down

2)Be sure passengers are ready to run and are in tune with you, the driver.

3) PFD's in rough water. (Anything for me over 1ft is rough water)

4)Know your boats limits.

5) Keep yous eyes on the water and peeled for something abnormal at all times.

6) KNOW YOUR LIMITS!!!

Hope this helps,

T.S.

Well said....

I had Woo on Eire once with his buddy. He could not beleive I wanted to stand up and fish in 9 foot waves......big rollers, it was pretty easy, but to a guy (Woo's friend) that has never seen em it is pretty daunting. Mac had Woo in his boat and I was driving his buddies TR21.

Mini

Ken, We are launching out of Sandusky Bay, but I don't know where yet??

BF

Always be aware also when you get to your spot and it's pretty calm and you get that "safer" feeling and you take your eyes off the back of the boat and a rogue wave comes over the back and dam near drowns you and your buddy in a matter of seconds!

Happened to me two years ago in my 185 fishing the North Side of Bass Island...scared the holy bujibee's outta' me and my partner! I just looked at him kinda' dumbfounded for a second and realized .....I better turn on the bilge!

That sucker pumped for 5 minutes srtaight. I need another pump and I surely will be more aware, rough or not ,of EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!:D:huh::blink::cool:

Latest posts

Back