Don Cremer, new member new boat

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Cremer

Reaction score
Just joined this am, going into semi retirement and just picked up my 2014 Tracker Super Guide 17sc with a 40hp merc on it. Just breaking it in but not thrilled with the power or how long it takes to get on plane. I added a hydro-foil hoping this will help get it on plane sooner and handle better a low speeds. Other than that I love it. Any advice or tips will be appreciated. Thanks!

Not sure how long you've been into boats, but I can think of a couple of things since I was away from bass type boats for a long time. I'm sure you'd know pretty quick if you forgot the plug (yep, I did it on my first launch of the new boat). 2nd, did you have the motor trimmed all the way down then ease up on the trim after speed comes up? If the motor is tilted too much up, it'll cause the bow to ride high trying to get on plane. Weight distribution in a boat is very imortant too. Too much weight in the back will take it longer to get on plane. I personally don't go for hydro-foils as I've learned they tend to cut top speed even though I rarely go full speed

Oh and forgive me for the most important part - Welcome to the FORUM :D

Oh and forgive me for the most important part - Welcome to the FORUM :D
Thank you for the welcome and advice, yes followed all that but I will say I moved my daughter to the front and that helped....the SE300 foil or tail I put on it claims 30% faster plane times on average and better slow speed handling, so I am hoping that does the trick. I also just read that the motor will get stronger at about 10 to 15 hours and after the 20 hour service they allow the throttle to go wide open......did not know when I posted that they dial it back alittle for break in. Funny no reason to as it has a RPM limiter on it.....hard to make sense sometimes.

That's odd, after 10 hrs (even before) I can do WOT no problem at all and obtain the 32mph they posted for the boat at purchase. Only I do it better now since the propshaft broke off (and new lower unit and SS Prop). before with the original SS and aluminum prop, I couldn't get more than 5450 RPM, now with the new performance SS prop I can get 6000 RPM (same speed though). I'm not aware of a limiter on any mercury motor. Who told you that? In fact my breakin procedure includes running it at varying times at WOT.

Welcome. It's a 17foot boat with a 40hp powerplant unfortunately you are limited.
You might laugh but I was an avid off road guy, lots of bikes, quads. Had to stop due to spinal issues, neck surgeries so I wanted to start fishing more, sold my old gregor 15' with a couple of old outboard and the off road stuff. The only condition my wife put on me was the boat had to fit in the toy hauler camper cause we ain't selling that so after much research it was one of three good boats that I could buy and fit in the toy hauler. Not looking to do anymore than tracker states in their handbook for this boat. Quick out of the hole, quick on plane and a top speed of about 32mph depending on conditions. Going out tomorrow to try the hydro foil and throttle adjustment made....if not happy then they promised me propeller at cost, currently has a 13x26, they say perhaps a 13x21. Thanks for the reply

That's odd, after 10 hrs (even before) I can do WOT no problem at all and obtain the 32mph they posted for the boat at purchase. Only I do it better now since the propshaft broke off (and new lower unit and SS Prop). before with the original SS and aluminum prop, I couldn't get more than 5450 RPM, now with the new performance SS prop I can get 6000 RPM (same speed though). I'm not aware of a limiter on any mercury motor. Who told you that? In fact my breakin procedure includes running it at varying times at WOT.
The dealer told me the motor has a rev limiter on it, I ordered the service manual this morning for the motor. Can I ask you what WOT means? My break in procedure in the manual said first hour stay under 3500 RPM and vary speed often, second hour stay below 4500 RPM and vary speed often and go wide open for one minute every 10 minutes of the second hour, hours 3- 20 do not run at a constant RPM for any extended period. Bring in for 20 hour first service....200.00-300.00 bones. Thanks again for your input!

Just take your time and learn your boat and you will be a happy person. I posted before when I got my first new new Nitro I went through at least 3 tanks of fuel learning all the ins and outs.

cq

Latest posts

Back